Reply by Cecil Hill May 6, 20052005-05-06
<g18c@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, i am looking at running serial comms over a bidirectional fibre > link. What i would like is to run full handshaking and control lines > over this link. Are there any chips which will do this for me? > > If not, i am considering using a microcontroller to sample all the line > states, then send the bit states over the link to be reconstructed the > other end. > > Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated. > > Cheers, > > Chris >
This may be a little over the top for your particular app, but there is an internet protocol defined in http://rfc.net/rfc2217.html to address this kind of thing. -- Cecil Hill
Reply by Gerald Bonnstetter May 5, 20052005-05-05
CBFalconer wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote: > >>On 2005-05-04, Gerald Bonnstetter <bonnsoft@antispamstuffnetins.net> wrote: >> >> >>>>Hi, i am looking at running serial comms over a bidirectional >>>>fibre link. What i would like is to run full handshaking and >>>>control lines over this link. Are there any chips which will >>>>do this for me? >>>> >>>>If not, i am considering using a microcontroller to sample all >>>>the line states, then send the bit states over the link to be >>>>reconstructed the other end. >>>> >>>>Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated. >>> >>>Can you use software flow control like Xon/Xoff? >>> >>>You might look up how PPP sends TCP/IP over modems to get some >>>idea's. >>> >>>You might also consider having a packet transfer system where >>>each packet must be acknowledged before the next packet is >>>sent. >> >>I think you misunderstood. He doesn't want to do serial flow >>control.
I guess I did misunderstand. He did add that he's controlling a modem on the other end so that's clear now even to me. I just didn't want him doing all the extra work if he really didn't need to.
>>He wants to multiplex multiple signals over a single "wire". In >>this case the wire is optical, but that's mostly irrelevent. >> >>I do know of people who do this. They run 16 high-speed serial >>ports over a single wire. The modem control/status/handshake >>lines are multiplexed at a much lower rate than the data lines >>(KHz for the handshake lines vs. MHz for the data lines). The >>people I know that do this designed a full-custom ASIC to do >>it, but I think you could probably do the same thing in an FPGA. > > > A cheap 8:1 multiplex/demultiplex that I built 30 years ago did the > transmission over several miles of twisted pair, carrying a current > loop. The multiplexor was a UART, set to transmit with 2 stop > bits, and receive with 1. (This allowed for rate mismatches at the > ends). Each input went to one input bit of 8, and was received on > the corresponding 1 of 8 at the other end. What it really needed > for long term reliability was 8 stop bits on send, which > unfortunately needed added hardware. Today I would suggest > building it all out of a single bit-banging PIC, and to turn the > bit rates up by about a factor of 4 or more.
Another similar way to do it might be to have your two PICs (or other micro) sending the data between themselves 4 bits at a time and using the other bits for control signals. That might work for him and only run at two times the bit rate. It seems like some micros can do a 9 bit transfer. Would that be a way to pass an occasional control byte now and then? If bit 9 is 0, then its data. Otherwise it's a flow control byte thats only sent when the hardware lines have changed state.
> The result was used to move 8 110 to 300 baud lines over a 9600 > baud link. Note that things are transparent, so you can use a > multiplexed line as a transparent handshaking signal if you wish. > Effectively you have: > > +-------+ +------+ > 8 lines --->---| MX | | deMX |-->-- 8 lines > | |-<- 2 lines ->-| | > 8 lines ---<---| deMX | | MX |--<-- 8 lines > +-------+ +------+ > > where the '2 lines' can be one bidirectional link. >
Reply by CBFalconer May 4, 20052005-05-04
Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2005-05-04, Gerald Bonnstetter <bonnsoft@antispamstuffnetins.net> wrote: > >>> Hi, i am looking at running serial comms over a bidirectional >>> fibre link. What i would like is to run full handshaking and >>> control lines over this link. Are there any chips which will >>> do this for me? >>> >>> If not, i am considering using a microcontroller to sample all >>> the line states, then send the bit states over the link to be >>> reconstructed the other end. >>> >>> Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated. >> >> Can you use software flow control like Xon/Xoff? >> >> You might look up how PPP sends TCP/IP over modems to get some >> idea's. >> >> You might also consider having a packet transfer system where >> each packet must be acknowledged before the next packet is >> sent. > > I think you misunderstood. He doesn't want to do serial flow > control. > > He wants to multiplex multiple signals over a single "wire". In > this case the wire is optical, but that's mostly irrelevent. > > I do know of people who do this. They run 16 high-speed serial > ports over a single wire. The modem control/status/handshake > lines are multiplexed at a much lower rate than the data lines > (KHz for the handshake lines vs. MHz for the data lines). The > people I know that do this designed a full-custom ASIC to do > it, but I think you could probably do the same thing in an FPGA.
A cheap 8:1 multiplex/demultiplex that I built 30 years ago did the transmission over several miles of twisted pair, carrying a current loop. The multiplexor was a UART, set to transmit with 2 stop bits, and receive with 1. (This allowed for rate mismatches at the ends). Each input went to one input bit of 8, and was received on the corresponding 1 of 8 at the other end. What it really needed for long term reliability was 8 stop bits on send, which unfortunately needed added hardware. Today I would suggest building it all out of a single bit-banging PIC, and to turn the bit rates up by about a factor of 4 or more. The result was used to move 8 110 to 300 baud lines over a 9600 baud link. Note that things are transparent, so you can use a multiplexed line as a transparent handshaking signal if you wish. Effectively you have: +-------+ +------+ 8 lines --->---| MX | | deMX |-->-- 8 lines | |-<- 2 lines ->-| | 8 lines ---<---| deMX | | MX |--<-- 8 lines +-------+ +------+ where the '2 lines' can be one bidirectional link. -- "If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options" at the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at the bottom of the article headers." - Keith Thompson
Reply by Lanarcam May 4, 20052005-05-04
g...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for the replies. I will be controling a modem on the other end > of the fibre. I need all the serial lines so that the software sees > what it expects to see and can control the modem with DTR etc lines
as
> needed. Whilst i could use XON/XOFF i do also need the other lines... > hoping there was a off the shelf chip i could by to do this for me!
I guess you need chips not modules such as http://www.robustdc.com/index.shtml?model=rdc232fo#rdc232fo
Reply by May 4, 20052005-05-04
Thanks for the replies. I will be controling a modem on the other end
of the fibre. I need all the serial lines so that the software sees
what it expects to see and can control the modem with DTR etc lines as
needed. Whilst i could use XON/XOFF i do also need the other lines...
hoping there was a off the shelf chip i could by to do this for me!

Cheers,

Chris

Reply by Grant Edwards May 4, 20052005-05-04
On 2005-05-04, Gerald Bonnstetter <bonnsoft@antispamstuffnetins.net> wrote:

>> Hi, i am looking at running serial comms over a bidirectional >> fibre link. What i would like is to run full handshaking and >> control lines over this link. Are there any chips which will >> do this for me? >> >> If not, i am considering using a microcontroller to sample all >> the line states, then send the bit states over the link to be >> reconstructed the other end. >> >> Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated. > > Can you use software flow control like Xon/Xoff? > > You might look up how PPP sends TCP/IP over modems to get some > idea's. > > You might also consider having a packet transfer system where > each packet must be acknowledged before the next packet is > sent.
I think you misunderstood. He doesn't want to do serial flow control. He wants to multiplex multiple signals over a single "wire". In this case the wire is optical, but that's mostly irrelevent. I do know of people who do this. They run 16 high-speed serial ports over a single wire. The modem control/status/handshake lines are multiplexed at a much lower rate than the data lines (KHz for the handshake lines vs. MHz for the data lines). The people I know that do this designed a full-custom ASIC to do it, but I think you could probably do the same thing in an FPGA. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! Are the STEWED PRUNES at still in the HAIR DRYER? visi.com
Reply by Gerald Bonnstetter May 4, 20052005-05-04
g18c@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi, i am looking at running serial comms over a bidirectional fibre > link. What i would like is to run full handshaking and control lines > over this link. Are there any chips which will do this for me? > > If not, i am considering using a microcontroller to sample all the line > states, then send the bit states over the link to be reconstructed the > other end. > > Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated.
Can you use software flow control like Xon/Xoff? You might look up how PPP sends TCP/IP over modems to get some idea's. You might also consider having a packet transfer system where each packet must be acknowledged before the next packet is sent.
> Cheers, > > Chris >
Reply by May 4, 20052005-05-04