Reply by Mike Walters June 7, 20052005-06-07

Hi,

I recommend CodeWright 7.5. It is really powerful.

--
Mike Walters

www.swbox.com
StringDB - Localization Tools for Embedded Developers

"Paul Taylor" <pault_rem_.ngea@virgin.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 May 2005 08:29:54 -0400, David T. Ashley wrote: > >> Can anyone recommend a text editor they are very hapy with (and why)? >> >> I'm tired of both Visual Studio and Metroworks CodeWarrior (for different >> reasons). >> >> Thanks, Dave. > > JEdit is free/open source (www.jedit.org) > > Lightweight considering its written in Java > Runs under windows/linux + others > I like it because it has a good filesystem browser and also has split > editing panes. There are lots of plugins too, although I haven't used too > many of them. > > For screenshots see http://www.jedit.org/index.php?page=screenshots > > I use it mostly for writing c and html. > > Regards, > > Paul. > > -- > Remove _rem_ before replying by email. >
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= *** Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! *** http://www.usenet.com Unlimited Download - 19 Seperate Servers - 90,000 groups - Uncensored -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Reply by Jonathan Kirwan June 1, 20052005-06-01
On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 06:09:40 GMT, cstacy@news.dtpq.com (Christopher C.
Stacy) wrote:

>Jonathan Kirwan <jkirwan@easystreet.com> writes: >> In that period, say in 1968-1975+ timeframe, things were transitioning >> to hardware-supported stacks and stack frames. Machines dating prior >> to this period generally didn't have hardware support for stacks (at >> least, not very well thought out); > >I quite disagree. The DEC PDP-6 (and the follow-on, PDP-10) >from 1964, not to mention the Burroughs B5000 from 1961 >(designed to be programmed in Algol, not assembler), >were stack-oriented and very elegant. >More so than some later machines.
My own experience during that time is indeed limited. But for what it is worth, _many_ of the machines I worked on did NOT support stacks in hardware. So I know for a fact that the concept had NOT yet swept the field. By the mid-1970's, it had. Jon
Reply by June 1, 20052005-06-01
Jonathan Kirwan <jkirwan@easystreet.com> writes:
> In that period, say in 1968-1975+ timeframe, things were transitioning > to hardware-supported stacks and stack frames. Machines dating prior > to this period generally didn't have hardware support for stacks (at > least, not very well thought out);
I quite disagree. The DEC PDP-6 (and the follow-on, PDP-10) from 1964, not to mention the Burroughs B5000 from 1961 (designed to be programmed in Algol, not assembler), were stack-oriented and very elegant. More so than some later machines.
Reply by toby May 30, 20052005-05-30

Toni76 wrote:
> I'm using CodeWright (http://www.borland.com/codewright/). I haven't > found anything better. Visual Studio is not bad, its biggest problem is > that it's made by Mircosoft.
If VS is "not bad", then on the same scale, Eclipse is "outstanding".
...and Eclipse is free: http://www.eclipse.org/
> > Toni.
Reply by Toni76 May 28, 20052005-05-28
I'm using CodeWright (http://www.borland.com/codewright/). I haven't
found anything better. Visual Studio is not bad, its biggest problem is
that it's made by Mircosoft. CodeWarrior just sucks.

If you don't wanna pay, you can try kdevelop ...

Toni.

Reply by Tauno Voipio May 28, 20052005-05-28
toby wrote:
> > Jonathan Kirwan wrote: > >>...finding out the hard way why stacks are so nice to have >>(the 2114/2116 didn't have stacks and stored the return address in the >>first location of the subroutine.) > > > I don't have the exact reference handy, but ISTR that even the PDP-11 > handbooks discussed that subroutine linkage mechanism. Knuth also used > it in MIX, but that's less anachronistic. >
IIRC, the PDP-11 JSR instruction had the link register specified in the instruction. The instruction pushed the register and copied the return link into the same register. If the register specified was the PC (r7), it was a simple return address push. -- Tauno Voipio tauno voipio (at) iki fi
Reply by Jonathan Kirwan May 28, 20052005-05-28
On 27 May 2005 22:25:24 -0700, "toby" <toby@telegraphics.com.au>
wrote:

>Jonathan Kirwan wrote: >> ...finding out the hard way why stacks are so nice to have >> (the 2114/2116 didn't have stacks and stored the return address in the >> first location of the subroutine.) > >I don't have the exact reference handy, but ISTR that even the PDP-11 >handbooks discussed that subroutine linkage mechanism. Knuth also used >it in MIX, but that's less anachronistic.
In that period, say in 1968-1975+ timeframe, things were transitioning to hardware-supported stacks and stack frames. Machines dating prior to this period generally didn't have hardware support for stacks (at least, not very well thought out); machines dating after this period pretty much all did have some hardware support for stacks. And the PDP-11 was a master stroke of well-considered genius on this score and on crafting an instruction and register set around a 16-bit word and stacks. But during this period, it was necessary to spend time educating programmers on the wide-ranging value of stacks and to provide some practical and theoretical insights into concepts such as coroutines and stack frames. So the document writers spent some serious effort in educating, as well as documenting. Modern documents just don't bother anymore, so this is a real loss in having widely available teaching materials. I still keep my old manuals for the PDP-11, PDP-8, and so on because of the great deal of teaching materials that was often included in them. Regarding the PDP-11, I just checked my PDP-11 documentation and find that they *do* discuss (vaguely, not getting too specific) this issue of modifying the first location of a subroutine in a section on reentrancy, which is where they see a huge gain in using stacks to avoid "self modifying" code areas (which prevents the ability to have a single copy of a subroutine used by several programs.) So your memory seems generally right on this note. These manuals discuss the intimate details of shared code among tasks and processes, coroutines, position independent code, stacks and subroutine linkage concepts, reentrancy, recursion, and so on. Modern manuals seem to tersely document details which, if you read between the lines, could arise to such an understanding. But the old docs take the time to gently lead you by the nose through all this, with pictures and examples in separate sections, so that it is quite clear and sensible. Too bad there aren't similarly good places to go in modern doc sets. The PDP-11 post-dates the HP 21xx processors by a handful of years and represents the tour de force that changed the minds of any remaining stragglers on the subject of hardware stack support. It had powerful hardware support for the stack concept. But I still love the HP front panel. Soft but firm square momentary push-buttons with incandescent lights inside that indicated the address or data. To change a data value, you merely pressed the button and the bit value toggled and the light changed state. Direct, instant feedback, sensible for human use, easy on the hand. Jon
Reply by toby May 28, 20052005-05-28

Jonathan Kirwan wrote:
> ...finding out the hard way why stacks are so nice to have > (the 2114/2116 didn't have stacks and stored the return address in the > first location of the subroutine.)
I don't have the exact reference handy, but ISTR that even the PDP-11 handbooks discussed that subroutine linkage mechanism. Knuth also used it in MIX, but that's less anachronistic.
> > Jon
Reply by CBFalconer May 27, 20052005-05-27
I have some executables left. The source is gone. -- Some informative links: news:news.announce.newusers http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/ http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
"Ignacio G.T." wrote:
> Jonathan Kirwan wrote: > > [lots of amusing lines edited out] > >> Regarding your comment about modems, I really did whistle into >> the acoustic couplers to test communications! Honestly! > > I believe you. I recall an old mate from my company (even older > than I) when, a few years ago, he was listening to a bicycle race > program on the radio. It was the Spanish Tour. Then, suddenly, > when the ciclysts where aproaching a town he already knew very > well, a curious interference became audible and he jumped over > his seat: > > - Hey! That's a [device he have programmed many years ago]! > - How do you know it? It could be anything... > - No, no, no! It IS a [device he have programmed many years ago]! > It is calling the SCADA through its V.21 modem! I know the exact > sequence of piooos and wooois! > > He also used to whistle into the couplers to call his beloved > children, when testing a new communicaction link...
Back around 1970 we had contests to see who could fool which DTMF (touch-tone) dialling decoders, by creating various wierd howls and disgusting sounds. It was quite easy to cause false hits on the expensive multiple band-pass filter types of the day. I was developing a one-chip version for our own PBX system at the time, which did much better. My system split the incoming sound into high and low bands, and then created zero crossings through two Schmidt triggers. The trigger hysteresis was controlled by a peak rectifier in the other band, thus controlling relative volumes, and that was the end of analog processing. The rest depended on moving averages on the period measurements, and was implementable in the (cheapest at the time) P-channel dynamic MOS logic. The breadboards were built out of the brand new CMOS logic family. -- Some informative links: news:news.announce.newusers http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/ http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html