Reply by Anton Erasmus May 28, 20052005-05-28
On 21 May 2005 10:31:57 -0700, "Mak" <mansoor.naseer@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello all, > >I have recently acquired a bluetooth development kit (TDK's blue2i + >USB adaptor). I have successfully connected the serial ports and >transferred and received the data at 9600 baud. I want to use the >serial module in customized hardware. But the serial unit is very >expensive (around 92 pounds). What alternative chips do I have at my >disposal which will provide me with a serial - bluetooth interface? My >only requirement is a bridge between uart (well, only RX/TX) and >bluetooth protocol. > >Since I plan to interface the chip with a microcontroller, I do not >need a RS232 level converter of that sort either. > >So which chips would allow me a bluetooth - I2C or SPI or Serial or USB >for that matter interface? If I want to remove the serial interface >also and just go for a simple command received via bluetooth, how can I >do that with a micro-controller present in my circuit? >
Hi, Try http://rfdesign.co.za. They have a bluetooth module that includes the stack for ZAR 250, which is about GBP 20. I am sure you should be able to find the same module in the UK for an even lower price. Regards Anton Erasmus
Reply by Martin Maurer May 28, 20052005-05-28
Hello,

> Should I just start looking for AM RX/TX circuits, rough requirements > could be 1kbits of data transferred at 1kbps or higher.
perhaps have a look at chipcon's chips (perhaps especially the CC2420). If you need links to datasheets, have a look at my page at http://www.clibb.de They transfer 250 kbit/s, around 70 Meters i think, support encryption if needed. Price is another topic: I bought a few modules from microchip, with completely soldered RF part including antenna, so only need to connect it to your microcontroller via a SPI port. Payed 30 Euro per module. If you buy only the chips itself, you get it much cheaper. Pay attention that you can use it (perhaps inofficially, illegal) in simple Tx / Rx mode, or you need a Zigbee stack and ceritfication too. Regards, Martin
Reply by Mak May 27, 20052005-05-27
Sigh, Thanks for all the ideas. I was thinking in the lines of getting
a bluetooth protocol chip (any suggestions on that?) and designing an
RF antenna on my own, pretty much like reverse engineering the serial
module and provide USB circuitry to that (any chips used commercially
which implement USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 protocol on hardware?), however the
certification costs is a practical issue.

TDK's module is just too expensive to design a simple home automation
circuit (yes 42 Euros are a LOT :) )

Should I just start looking for AM RX/TX circuits, rough requirements
could be 1kbits of data transferred at 1kbps or higher.

Thanks,

Mak

Reply by dave May 24, 20052005-05-24
Meindert Sprang wrote:
> "Mak" <mansoor.naseer@gmail.com> wrote in message > news:1116702311.634063.175800@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > >>Indeed a significant difference in prices. Since I am just exploring >>ideas, I am not sure about the quantity. But if we consider employing >>the technology in toll plazas (is it feasible?) on highways and >>motorways as well as the vehicles, the quantity will significantly >>increase to thousands of units. > > > At that quantity, the price of a TRBLU20 module (serial I/O at TTL level) is > about 42 euro at a decent distributor. > > >>Any effort to implement it in home appliances and automation would >>dictate a much simpler and cheaper variant. Any ideas on what type of >>chips are out there meeting these criteria? > > > Remember, if you go your own route with Bluetooth, you're facing hugh > certification costs. > > Meindert > >
IMHO: If certification is important, then the TRBLU20 represents a budget solution to your application. If your homebrewing, anything at quantity may sound like a bad idea.
Meindert Sprang wrote:
> "dave" <dave@dave.dave> wrote in message > news:d6o980$oei$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk... > >>Bluetooth dongles are pretty reasonable in the UK (&#4294967295;15 GBP). Why not try >>selecting a device that has open linux support, then reverse engineering >>from there. > > > A cheap dongle requires a USB host and enough power to run the entire BT > stack. The TDK TRBLU20 modules have this stack internal, which allows your > host to be much much simpler and cheaper. > Oh, and the TRBLU20 modules are class 1 (100m range), the cheap USB dongles > are mostly class 2 (10m range). > > Meindert > >
Mak, Meindert Sprang has a fair point, my suggestion is based on a USB host (like you mentioned). If you are homebrewing, deconstructing a bluetooth dongle with opensource drivers makes good financial sense. Remember: interfacing with USB can occur over copper tracks... The BT stack is generic for use in various applications, you should feel free to extract what ever areas of the stack apply to your application. Others have implemented the stack on micro-controllers long before now, size and complexity depends on YOUR APPLICATION. Er, yes Class1 and Class2 USBs at less than 92 euro. If you are time limited and need to get a product to market, go with the TDK option. Otherwise use that huge PC engine to reduce your R&D costs.
Reply by Meindert Sprang May 21, 20052005-05-21
"dave" <dave@dave.dave> wrote in message
> Bluetooth dongles are pretty reasonable in the UK (&#4294967295;15 GBP). Why not try > selecting a device that has open linux support, then reverse engineering > from there.
A cheap dongle requires a USB host and enough power to run the entire BT stack. The TDK TRBLU20 modules have this stack internal, which allows your host to be much much simpler and cheaper. Oh, and the TRBLU20 modules are class 1 (100m range), the cheap USB dongles are mostly class 2 (10m range). Meindert
Reply by Meindert Sprang May 21, 20052005-05-21
"Mak" <mansoor.naseer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Indeed a significant difference in prices. Since I am just exploring > ideas, I am not sure about the quantity. But if we consider employing > the technology in toll plazas (is it feasible?) on highways and > motorways as well as the vehicles, the quantity will significantly > increase to thousands of units.
At that quantity, the price of a TRBLU20 module (serial I/O at TTL level) is about 42 euro at a decent distributor.
> Any effort to implement it in home appliances and automation would > dictate a much simpler and cheaper variant. Any ideas on what type of > chips are out there meeting these criteria?
Remember, if you go your own route with Bluetooth, you're facing hugh certification costs. Meindert
Reply by dave May 21, 20052005-05-21
Mak wrote:
> Indeed a significant difference in prices. Since I am just exploring > ideas, I am not sure about the quantity. But if we consider employing > the technology in toll plazas (is it feasible?) on highways and > motorways as well as the vehicles, the quantity will significantly > increase to thousands of units. > > Any effort to implement it in home appliances and automation would > dictate a much simpler and cheaper variant. Any ideas on what type of > chips are out there meeting these criteria? > > Mak >
Bluetooth dongles are pretty reasonable in the UK (&#4294967295;15 GBP). Why not try selecting a device that has open linux support, then reverse engineering from there. Bluetooth DEVKITs were very expensive 12-18months ago, so I opted to go for full wireless 802.11b and WLUSB instead. Enjoy.
Reply by Mak May 21, 20052005-05-21

> Hello all, > > I have recently acquired a bluetooth development kit (TDK's blue2i + > USB adaptor). I have successfully connected the serial ports and > transferred and received the data at 9600 baud. I want to use the > serial module in customized hardware. But the serial unit is very > expensive (around 92 pounds). What alternative chips do I have at my > disposal which will provide me with a serial - bluetooth interface? My > only requirement is a bridge between uart (well, only RX/TX) and > bluetooth protocol.
What quantities are you looking at? 92 pounds is expensive indeed. We pay about 65 euro's for that module in small qty's (20's), which is appr. 43 ukp without VAT. Meindert