Reply by matt...@avisaro.com December 19, 20042004-12-19
Compact Flash is an alternative you should consider. You are linked to
the technical progress of the PDA handheld world and you are flexible
with the kind of devices you operate ( Compact Flash Memory , WLAN ,
GPRS ) ...

Matt

( www.avisaro.com )

larwe@larwe.com wrote:
> If power consumption and WLAN are the only questions, I suspect
miniPCI
> is the wrong answer. I'd suggest either using a CompactFlash (PCMCIA, > but not CardBus) WLAN, or USB.
Reply by Norbert Juffa December 18, 20042004-12-18
"Stuart J Adams" <sja@std.com> wrote in message news:cpv0oo$itm$1@pcls4.std.com...
> Anyone have suggestions for a very low-cost low-power > embedded CPU with PCI ?? > > [Need PCI for miniPCI WLAN ...] > > (The lowest I've seen are the IDT MIPS processors at around > $10 .. but these are not suited for handheld devices) > > Thanks, > Stuart
Your cost and power requirements are not very specific. For PCI support you might want to look at SH4 based microntrollers from STmicro (ST40) or Renesas (SH7751). If I recall correctly, power consumption is around 1W for parts clocked at 166 MHz. -- Norbert
Reply by December 18, 20042004-12-18
If power consumption and WLAN are the only questions, I suspect miniPCI
is the wrong answer. I'd suggest either using a CompactFlash (PCMCIA,
but not CardBus) WLAN, or USB.

Reply by December 17, 20042004-12-17
Stuart J Adams <sja@std.com> writes:
> Anyone have suggestions for a very low-cost low-power > embedded CPU with PCI ??
Quite low-cost, but I'm not sure how you'll view the power consumption: Micrel KS8695P $19.69 for up to 3 external PCI masters, or KS8695PX $17.06 for only 1 external PCI master As far as I can tell, the PX is the same part with a few less pins bonded out. The documentation gives maximum power consumption with all five Ethernet PHYs active. It should be much lower with only one (or none) active, but they don't give the numbers. I've been having trouble getting any distributor to take my order for an eval board.
Reply by Tim Wescott December 17, 20042004-12-17
Stuart J Adams wrote:

> Anyone have suggestions for a very low-cost low-power > embedded CPU with PCI ?? > > [Need PCI for miniPCI WLAN ...] > > (The lowest I've seen are the IDT MIPS processors at around > $10 .. but these are not suited for handheld devices) > > Thanks, > Stuart >
You might try the Analog Devices Blackfin -- they have a PCI version. If it was power consumption -- is _anything_ that hangs off of a PCI bus going to be suitable? -- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply by Stuart J Adams December 17, 20042004-12-17