Reply by Rob July 20, 20052005-07-20
"Rob" <rdsfal@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
news:42da0038$0$18770$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
> We are working on a small MSP430F149 project and are having a heap of
grief
> getting the basic hardware going. > > We continually get inconsistent results when attempting to connect and > download to the msp430. Initially the JTAG will not connect but this
problem
> appeared > to rectify itself. It then had trouble writing to memory at address
0x1100 -
> the start of the program flash. Reseating the msp430 in the ZIF socket > seemed to fix this problem. We initially tried restarting the debug proxy > and the debugger and cygwin without success. > > We finally managed to download to the device about 3 times. When the code > ran it always stopped at the reset vector. We though it may be some
problem
> with the RTOS and the timers. The watchdog is switched off. > > We then tried one of the examples supplied with mspgcc LED flashing code.
We
> built the code without any problems but when we attempted to download the > memory write error reappeared. We tried re-seating the micro in the ZIF > socket etc without success. > > We are using the a homebrew JTAG programmer and a TI development board > pwered by 2 x D cells and driving this via the mspgcc-20041112.exe
software.
> > So many questions!! > Where do we start debugging the system? > Could the problem be timing related? Is the PC we are using too slow/fast? > How can we check if everything is okay with the software setup/hardware > setup? > > Any suggestions would be most appreciated. > > Thanks > rob > > > > > >
Thanks for the replies guys - looks like we may have power problems, we'll try hooking a 3V --> 3.3V variable supply up and see if things improve. regards rob
Reply by TheDoc July 17, 20052005-07-17
"Rob" <rdsfal@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> We are working on a small MSP430F149 project and are having a heap of
grief
> getting the basic hardware going. > > We continually get inconsistent results when attempting to connect and > download to the msp430. Initially the JTAG will not connect but this
problem
> appeared > to rectify itself. It then had trouble writing to memory at address
0x1100 -
> the start of the program flash. Reseating the msp430 in the ZIF socket > seemed to fix this problem. We initially tried restarting the debug proxy > and the debugger and cygwin without success.
0x1100 is not on a 512 byte page boundary.. you might like to move this to 0x1200.. or you may have trouble with the info memory area as well also do the flash load at > 2.7 Volts..
> > We finally managed to download to the device about 3 times. When the code > ran it always stopped at the reset vector. We though it may be some
problem
> with the RTOS and the timers. The watchdog is switched off. > > We then tried one of the examples supplied with mspgcc LED flashing code.
We
> built the code without any problems but when we attempted to download the > memory write error reappeared. We tried re-seating the micro in the ZIF > socket etc without success. > > We are using the a homebrew JTAG programmer and a TI development board > pwered by 2 x D cells and driving this via the mspgcc-20041112.exe
software.
> > So many questions!! > Where do we start debugging the system? > Could the problem be timing related? Is the PC we are using too slow/fast? > How can we check if everything is okay with the software setup/hardware > setup? > > Any suggestions would be most appreciated. > > Thanks > rob > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Reply by Richard July 17, 20052005-07-17
"Rob" <rdsfal@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> We are working on a small MSP430F149 project and are having a heap of
grief
> getting the basic hardware going. > > We continually get inconsistent results when attempting to connect and > download to the msp430. Initially the JTAG will not connect but this
problem
> appeared > to rectify itself. It then had trouble writing to memory at address
0x1100 -
> the start of the program flash. Reseating the msp430 in the ZIF socket > seemed to fix this problem. We initially tried restarting the debug proxy > and the debugger and cygwin without success. > > We finally managed to download to the device about 3 times. When the code > ran it always stopped at the reset vector. We though it may be some
problem
> with the RTOS and the timers. The watchdog is switched off. > > We then tried one of the examples supplied with mspgcc LED flashing code.
We
> built the code without any problems but when we attempted to download the > memory write error reappeared. We tried re-seating the micro in the ZIF > socket etc without success. > > We are using the a homebrew JTAG programmer and a TI development board > pwered by 2 x D cells and driving this via the mspgcc-20041112.exe
software.
> > So many questions!! > Where do we start debugging the system? > Could the problem be timing related? Is the PC we are using too slow/fast? > How can we check if everything is okay with the software setup/hardware > setup? > > Any suggestions would be most appreciated. > > Thanks > rob
I don't know anything about the TI board, but with my Softbaugh/FETP setup the board is powered through the JTAG. If I have external power attached at the same time as the JTAG adaptor then I get unpredictable results. Whenever I have the JTAG attached I remove external power, then everything works consistently well. Regards. Richard. http://www.FreeRTOS.org
Reply by dmm July 17, 20052005-07-17
On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 14:56:05 +0800, "Rob" <rdsfal@iinet.net.au> wrote:

>We are working on a small MSP430F149 project and are having a heap of grief >getting the basic hardware going. > >We continually get inconsistent results when attempting to connect and >download to the msp430. Initially the JTAG will not connect but this problem >appeared >to rectify itself. It then had trouble writing to memory at address 0x1100 - >the start of the program flash. Reseating the msp430 in the ZIF socket >seemed to fix this problem. We initially tried restarting the debug proxy >and the debugger and cygwin without success. > >We finally managed to download to the device about 3 times. When the code >ran it always stopped at the reset vector. We though it may be some problem >with the RTOS and the timers. The watchdog is switched off. > >We then tried one of the examples supplied with mspgcc LED flashing code. We >built the code without any problems but when we attempted to download the >memory write error reappeared. We tried re-seating the micro in the ZIF >socket etc without success. > >We are using the a homebrew JTAG programmer and a TI development board >pwered by 2 x D cells and driving this via the mspgcc-20041112.exe software. > >So many questions!! >Where do we start debugging the system? >Could the problem be timing related? Is the PC we are using too slow/fast? >How can we check if everything is okay with the software setup/hardware >setup? > >Any suggestions would be most appreciated. > >Thanks >rob
We never program the MSP430's when the supply voltage is less than 3 volts, preferably 3.3V. An LM317 regulator with an output set to 3.3V works well. You say that you're using a homebrew JTAG programmer. Where did you get the circuit diagram? Olimex has a circuit (and cheap kit) that works well.
Reply by Rob July 17, 20052005-07-17
[...]

Thanks
rob