Reply by Henk Boonsma August 5, 20052005-08-05
"Luc The Perverse" <sll_noSpamlicious_z_XXX_m@cc.usu.edu> wrote in message
> I'd like to design some software in java and have it work, without > any headaches, on a portable device (I'm envisioning a palm pilot, > Ipod, Cell phone,. the playstation thing . . or something similar) > > I can't seem to find a list of devices which take bytecode. I > imagine I would be doing mostly text based stuff.
This one takes bytecode directly: http://www.ajile.com/index.htm
Reply by Fao, Sean August 4, 20052005-08-04
Boudewijn Dijkstra wrote:
> "Correlious" <arvinf@gmail.com> schreef in bericht > news:1122517982.298525.26370@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > >>Sun used to make a Java chip. I don't know what happened to that. > > > ARM now has Jazelle, which defines a Java-compatible instruction set and > allows for a Java co-processor.
I'm curious, does anybody know how much additional cost overhead is involved with this combination (Jazelle and a Java co-processor) over a comparable PIC or Atmel AVR processor, which wasn't designed to work with Java? A friend of mine is a desktop developer and often argues that development time is dramatically reduced by programming in interpreted languages, such as Java because developers don't have to worry about memory leaks, buffer overflows, etc. In the embedded systems world, however, I can easily fathom a situation where cost of manufacturing would eventually outweigh the costs saved by programming in Java. For example, let's say that it costs a company $20,000 to develop the software for some embedded system project in Java and $100 per device to manufacture this product with some kind of Java co-processor included. If we were to sell 20,000 units in the first year, we would be up to $2,020,000 in costs, which includes the cost of developing the software and manufacturing of each device. Now lets say that it takes double the money to develop the code for the same product in a combination of C and Assembly. So that's $40,000 to develop the code; but, we no longer require the Java co-processor, so our product (in this fictional example) costs only $50 to manufacture each unit. Again, we sell 20,000 units of our product. In this example, our overhead for the first year is $1,040,000, which is a little more than half that of the original product that we developed in Java. I'm not trying to start a language war here or anything. I would just like to know how close to a real world situation my example actually is. Thank you, -- Sean
Reply by August 1, 20052005-08-01
Hello,

For an embedded Java application you need stick with J2ME.

The JOP is a bytecode execution w/o OS on an FPGA.
www.jopdesign.com
A nice design and fast, but requires some understanding of hardware and
the tools and hardware extensions are limited.

A lot of the ARM core devices run a Linux 2.6 and this allows you to
have a JVM working. Some link were already posted, but I do like the
http://www.gumstix.com
Very cheap and huge community behind it. For a $100 dollar you get a
XScale preconfigured and lots of extendable hardware.

What kind of application do you intend?

Luc The Perverse wrote:
> I'd like to design some software in java and have it work, without > any headaches, on a portable device (I'm envisioning a palm pilot, > Ipod, Cell phone,. the playstation thing . . or something similar) > > I can't seem to find a list of devices which take bytecode. I > imagine I would be doing mostly text based stuff. > > -- > "When you have to choose between a first-rate company with a > second-rate product and a second-rate company with a first-rate > product, it's never an ideal choice. " -Ed (www.overclockers.com)
Reply by CM600 July 30, 20052005-07-30
http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?AD=1&ArticleID=4841
ARM core whith JAVA support :)

www.EmbeddedRelated.com
Reply by Boudewijn Dijkstra July 30, 20052005-07-30
"Correlious" <arvinf@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
> Sun used to make a Java chip. I don't know what happened to that.
ARM now has Jazelle, which defines a Java-compatible instruction set and allows for a Java co-processor.
Reply by Klaus Kloos July 29, 20052005-07-29
Luc The Perverse <sll_noSpamlicious_z_XXX_m@cc.usu.edu> wrote:

> I'd like to design some software in java and have it work, without > any headaches, on a portable device (I'm envisioning a palm pilot, > Ipod, Cell phone,. the playstation thing . . or something similar) > > I can't seem to find a list of devices which take bytecode. I > imagine I would be doing mostly text based stuff.
This is from my link-list (untested) http://www.imsys.se/ http://www.jopdesign.com/ http://www.jstamp.com http://www.sigs.de/publications/js/2003/03/saad_JS_02_03.pdf And there are ARM-micros which are able to run java-byte code (?). hope it helps Greetings Klaus
Reply by webactivex July 29, 20052005-07-29
Luc The Perverse wrote:
> Correlious" <arvinf@gmail.com> wrote in message > news:1122517989.763256.153190@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > >>Sun used to make a Java chip. I don't know what happened to that. >> >>Generally your write a Java interpreter or a Just-In-Time Compiler >>for >>the platform you are running on. For smaller, embedded platforms >>you >>might want to look into J2ME. > > > LOL > > I obviously don't know enough about java to write to right questions. > >
test
Reply by Scott Moore July 28, 20052005-07-28
Correlious wrote:
> Sun used to make a Java chip. I don't know what happened to that. > > Generally your write a Java interpreter or a Just-In-Time Compiler for > the platform you are running on. For smaller, embedded platforms you > might want to look into J2ME. >
Mummm, it was a really stupid idea ?
Reply by Paul Taylor July 28, 20052005-07-28
On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 09:31:07 -0600, Luc The Perverse wrote:

> I'd like to design some software in java and have it work, without > any headaches, on a portable device (I'm envisioning a palm pilot, > Ipod, Cell phone,. the playstation thing . . or something similar) > > I can't seem to find a list of devices which take bytecode. I > imagine I would be doing mostly text based stuff.
Have you looked at some of the Blackberry devices? e.g. http://www.blackberry.com/products/blackberry7700/blackberry7730.shtml It appears that development for this device is primarily Java based. There is developer info on their website - It looks comprehensive, although I haven't used it. If you find a list of Java enabled devices, then post back and let us know. However, I think it might be a case of trawling each manufacturer's web site, or maybe post your question on a handhelds newsgroup, if such a thing exists - I would guess it does. Regards, Paul. -- Remove _rem_ before replying by email.
Reply by Luc The Perverse July 28, 20052005-07-28
Correlious" <arvinf@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Sun used to make a Java chip. I don't know what happened to that. > > Generally your write a Java interpreter or a Just-In-Time Compiler > for > the platform you are running on. For smaller, embedded platforms > you > might want to look into J2ME.
LOL I obviously don't know enough about java to write to right questions. -- "When you have to choose between a first-rate company with a second-rate product and a second-rate company with a first-rate product, it's never an ideal choice. " -Ed (www.overclockers.com) "