Reply by Boudewijn Dijkstra August 16, 20052005-08-16
<grond@cs.tu-berlin.de> schreef in bericht

> Something like chroot? Then most of the software installed in the > original lower directories wouldn&#4294967295;t be accessible.
unless you symlink to them
Reply by August 15, 20052005-08-15
> Is it possible to build a soft link that makes /progfs/opt/QtPalmtop > look like /usr/local?
Now. I would need write-access to either /usr or /usr/local which I don=B4t have.
Reply by August 15, 20052005-08-15
Something like chroot? Then most of the software installed in the
original lower directories wouldn=B4t be accessible.

Reply by August 15, 20052005-08-15
Nothing. The device boots an image that contains a cramfs with a linux
system on it. You cannot manipulate the cramfs because the bootloader
checks the image=B4s integrity before booting the kernel in it. There
may be ways of tempering with the image by somehow extracting the
bootloader binary and seeing what checking it actually does, but
that=B4s too complicated right now.

Anyway, the way the system is set up is that you cannot do anything but
install stuff into one single directory. There you probably could mount
some other filesystem but anyway...

Reply by August 15, 20052005-08-15
Thank you for the pointers you gave me. I will try to use crosstool, it
sounds very promising!

Reply by David R Brooks August 14, 20052005-08-14
Is it possible to build a soft link that makes /progfs/opt/QtPalmtop
look like /usr/local?
Just a thought...

Jasen Betts <jasen-b@free.net.nospam.nz> wrote:

:In article <1123840514.446844.146060@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, grond@cs.tu-berlin.de wrote:
:
:> The situation is this: I have a Qtopia-device that doesn&#4294967295;t allow me to
:> place files anywhere else than in "/progfs/opt/QtPalmtop". The native
:> gcc packages I found for arm expect all their files in /usr/local which
:>
:> I&#4294967295;m not a UNIX newbie, in fact I have used UNIX systems for almost ten
:> years but after one week of trying to cross-compile gcc I have to admit
:> that this is above me. I only managed to compile native binutils which
:> appears to be a minor task in comparison to cross-compiling gcc...
:
:Is it possible to use the same mechanism that initramd does to change the
:root directory of your Qtopia linux system to /progfs/opt/QtPalmtop after
:bootup?
:
:Bye.
:   Jasen

--  Dave Brooks <http://www.iinet.net.au/~daveb>
PGP public key: servers daveb@iinet.net.au
    fingerprint 20 8F 95 22 96 D6 1C 0B  3D 4D C3 D4 50 A1 C4 34
 What's all this? see http://www.iinet.net.au/~daveb/crypto.html

  "If anyone slew an innocent person it would be as if he slew the whole of mankind and if anyone saved a life it would be as if he saved the life of the whole mankind" [Al-Qur'an 5:32]
  "Do treat your women well and be kind to them for they are your partners and committed helpers." [The last sermon of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).]
  "An Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab, nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over a black, nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action." [ibid]
Reply by Jasen Betts August 14, 20052005-08-14
In article <1123840514.446844.146060@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, grond@cs.tu-berlin.de wrote:

> The situation is this: I have a Qtopia-device that doesn&#4294967295;t allow me to > place files anywhere else than in "/progfs/opt/QtPalmtop". The native > gcc packages I found for arm expect all their files in /usr/local which > > I&#4294967295;m not a UNIX newbie, in fact I have used UNIX systems for almost ten > years but after one week of trying to cross-compile gcc I have to admit > that this is above me. I only managed to compile native binutils which > appears to be a minor task in comparison to cross-compiling gcc...
Is it possible to use the same mechanism that initramd does to change the root directory of your Qtopia linux system to /progfs/opt/QtPalmtop after bootup? Bye. Jasen
Reply by Simon Clubley August 12, 20052005-08-12
In article <86d5ojs9d8.fsf@Delta-Utec_PC5_FreeBSD.lan>, Colin Paul Gloster <Colin_Paul_Gloster@ACM.org> writes:
> > In the GCC cross compiling community, the term "Canadian Cross" was > coined not many years ago for what you described. CrossGCC documentation > has been moved and taken down, but if you search you might find > documentation or advice from the CrossGCC emailing list. You can start with > HTTP://Kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.38/doc/crosstool-howto.html#canadian > and > HTTP://Sourceware.org/ml/crossgcc/2005-08/msg00019.html
An old version of the CrossGCC FAQ is available from: http://vmlinux.org/joachim/mirror/www.objsw.com/CrossGCC/ It may still be of some help to the OP. BTW, the Wayback Machine also has the same FAQ archived at it's original address, but I didn't check to see if all the pieces have been archived. Simon. -- Simon Clubley, clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP Microsoft: The Standard Oil Company of the 21st century
Reply by Boudewijn Dijkstra August 12, 20052005-08-12

> The situation is this: I have a Qtopia-device that doesn&#4294967295;t allow me to > place files anywhere else than in "/progfs/opt/QtPalmtop". The native > gcc packages I found for arm expect all their files in /usr/local which > isn&#4294967295;t available even for a softlink because I cannot write to any > other directory than what&#4294967295;s below "/progfs/opt/QtPalmtop".
Not even with pivot_root? Not even read/write access to system startup configuration? Not even the ability to remount some filesystems as read/write? Not even the possibility to boot from another medium?
Reply by August 12, 20052005-08-12
Philipp <grond@CS.TU-Berlin.De> wrote:

"[..]

is there any explanation on the net or can anyone explain me how I can
compile gcc (either 2.95.3 or 4.0.1) on a x86-linux system (with
x86-gcc 3.4.3 and a arm-crosscompiler-gcc 2.95.3 installed) in order to
get a working gcc that runs on arm and compiles for arm?

[..]"