Reply by Sagaert Johan September 20, 20052005-09-20
check the beck SC12 or SC13

99$ 32 pin dil   -RTOS + mac + serial +dos

"Markus Zingg" <m.zingg@nct.ch> wrote in message
> >Looking into uC for an small embedded project. > > > >I need the following interfaces: > > > >Compact Flash with DOS File system > >Ethernet MAC > >2 Uarts > > > >Can anyone recommend a uC that fits the bill? > > > >I'd greatly prefer avoiding an RTOS if possible--but I do need DOS file > >system and TCP/IP capability. > > > >So far we've looked at > > > >ZilogEZ80 Acclaim > >Intel Xscale > >Atmel AT91 ARM > >Maxim/Dallas DS80C400 > > [snip] > > Your examples cover quite a broad range of potential candidates - > especially in terms of achiveable performance. I therefore asume you > are not having much experience in this field. Because of this and also > asuming this is for a quick project with low quantities I recommend to > take a look at the products from Rabbit Semiconductor. They offer core > modules and the SDKs come along with software to do what you want (FAT > filesystem TCP IP etc). The docs are really good and you will be up > and running in a few minutes acutally. > > www.rabbitsemiconductor.com > > Of course all those uCs you listed could be used for the task and I > don't consider any of them to be a bad candidate, but designing a > board with all this periphals is a significant amount of work. The > core modules therefore will save you a lot. > > HTH > > Markus > >
Reply by A. P. Richelieu September 2, 20052005-09-02
"Bo" <bo@cephus.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Looking into uC for an small embedded project. > > I need the following interfaces: > > Compact Flash with DOS File system > Ethernet MAC > 2 Uarts > > Can anyone recommend a uC that fits the bill? > > I'd greatly prefer avoiding an RTOS if possible--but I do need DOS file > system and TCP/IP capability. > > So far we've looked at > > ZilogEZ80 Acclaim > Intel Xscale > Atmel AT91 ARM > Maxim/Dallas DS80C400 > > > Each of these has plus/minus but the requirement for CF/Dos FS seems to be > the camel back breaking straw.... > > Open to any suggestions.... recommendations... experiences good and bad > with these or other uC.... > > Thanks, >
The AT91SAM7X256 contains ARM7 + Ethernet MAC + 256 kB Flash + 64 kB SRAM. The Compact Flash is just some pins and can be handled in S/W. The CPU runs at close to 40 MIPS so this should not be a bottle neck. FreeRTOS has uIP or lwIP TCP/IP Stack. The UARTs should run at pretty high speed w the DMA support. -- A. P. Richelieu
Reply by Kelly Hall August 31, 20052005-08-31
Markus Zingg wrote:
> There is no RTOS. For an easy project their aproach using state > machines and the costatements they use etc. make the job quite easy.
Rabbit offers uC/OS if you need an RTOS. I concur that Rabbit's tools make it easy to do easy projects. In my experience, however, Dynamic C stops being a tool and becomes an adversary as your project gets larger and more complicated. Thankfully there is an ANSI C compiler available from Softools. Kelly
Reply by Markus Zingg August 31, 20052005-08-31
>Markus, > >Your assumption on experience--wrong. :)
Sorry :-)
>Assumption on quick turn/low >initial quantities good. We looked at the gumstix solution as well, but >because the potential for rather large quantities exists for the end >product, we felt that we should be able to get the cost down to ~$50-75 per >unit by designing our own hardware.
The RCM2110 should fit the bill. In fact the core does include ethernet and a CF can be connected to the external bus. I know for sure since I did this myself. FAT code along with TCP/IP is also available. The core costs $42 in 1K quantities, which gives another $8 room for the CF connector and power supply. Add to this the CF card you are going to use and you should end up significantly below $75.
>Seems that the problem I encounter is I can find a cheap uC that includes >HW/SW to support either Compact Flash/DOSFs or Ethernet--but not both.
Rabbit DOES support both.
>Of >course, throwing in the added complexity of an RTOS doesn't thrill me.
There is no RTOS. For an easy project their aproach using state machines and the costatements they use etc. make the job quite easy. I.e. a HTTP server showing pages stored on the CF is IMHO part of the sample code available. I hardly can't imagine to have an easier start.
> We'd >considered a Xilinx FPGA with uBlaze, but felt the development there would >be too costly. Our last V2Pro design used VxWorks and was nightmarish in >regards to Xilinx's tools. Another reason for not going SoC/FPGA.
I fully agree that developement costs would be a lot higher. With the rabbit you hook the CF to the bus and add a voltage regulator and you are done. Again, been there done that.
>I'm going to followup on the rabbit semiconductor recommendation as well. >Thanks for the input....
You are welcome. Markus
Reply by Frank-Christian Kruegel August 31, 20052005-08-31
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 11:07:34 -0500, "Bo" <bo@cephus.com> wrote:

>Each of these has plus/minus but the requirement for CF/Dos FS seems to be >the camel back breaking straw....
CF can be run in IDE mode, and IDE is nothing more than a /CS and a couple of 8/16 bit I/O accesses. This should be very easy to do with all controllers. Alternative: MMC/SD-Cards. They are smaller, cheaper and can be run in SPI mode, and all controllers should have SPI. FAT should really no problem unless you are an absolute beginner. Mit freundlichen Gr&#4294967295;&#4294967295;en Frank-Christian Kr&#4294967295;gel
Reply by Jens Gydesen August 31, 20052005-08-31
Hi,

As far I remember has one of the parts from Netsilicon the features.....

Regards Jens

"Bo" <bo@cephus.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> Looking into uC for an small embedded project. > > I need the following interfaces: > > Compact Flash with DOS File system > Ethernet MAC > 2 Uarts > > Can anyone recommend a uC that fits the bill? > > I'd greatly prefer avoiding an RTOS if possible--but I do need DOS file > system and TCP/IP capability. > > So far we've looked at > > ZilogEZ80 Acclaim > Intel Xscale > Atmel AT91 ARM > Maxim/Dallas DS80C400 > > > Each of these has plus/minus but the requirement for CF/Dos FS seems to
be
> the camel back breaking straw.... > > Open to any suggestions.... recommendations... experiences good and bad > with these or other uC.... > > Thanks, > > Bo > > >
Reply by linnix August 31, 20052005-08-31
Bo wrote:
> <pbreed@netburner.com> wrote in message > news:frrbh157ajeq185gf8aur18h0r20f6fauj@4ax.com... > > Take a look at the NetBurner MOD5270 > > We have a CF Fat filesystem in Beta. > > (We are includeing the HCC embedded file system with our modules in object > > form.) > > > > > > Paul > > > > www.netburner.com > > > Thanks for the link and info. This looks quite promising--- if my management > buys into a 'no HW design' approach. How is support? Do you have FAEs? The > word 'beta' scares me :)
You would need the CF interface and UART drivers. Not a "no HW design" solution. How about a custom order HW solution? We are currently custom building an AT91RM9200 for a client. Other than the CPU, all requirements are similar.
> > I must say though that for our application, this seems to be a bit of > overkill in terms of processing power. We could probably get by with just > the 5213 if there's enough IO to add Compact Flash.I guess we could buy a > 5270 development kit, use its schematic as basis for a new board design > using the smaller processor but retaining the CF interface???
If you have to layout a new board, why not mount the chips on your new board? For $50 each (per 1K), we can build the boards to your specifications. Coldfire 5213 plus a ethernet chip should be enough, in addition to Flash, Ram and etc.
> > I expect we will send/receive minimal data over Ethernet--maybe one or two > packets per minute. The uarts will be collecting data from a plethora of > RS485 type sensors and logging data to the CF. Host then will request CF log > data on infrequent intervals....so you can see, not a great need for speed > here.
But you need a good enough micro for ethernet. You can use a 8 bits micro to sample and buffer the data.
> > Power may also be a concern. Requirements are in development, but its > possible we may need to run on a few AA batteries for several days at a > time. I assume that reducing the clk speed is a viable way to do this? Is > there a minimum clk required on these devices?
You can also use the 8 bits micro to suspend/awake the 32 bits micro. 8 bits micro can last for weeks on batteries.
> > Thanks, Bo
Reply by August 31, 20052005-08-31
><pbreed@netburner.com> wrote in message >news:frrbh157ajeq185gf8aur18h0r20f6fauj@4ax.com... >> Take a look at the NetBurner MOD5270 >> We have a CF Fat filesystem in Beta. >> (We are includeing the HCC embedded file system with our modules in object >> form.) >> >> >> Paul >> >> www.netburner.com >> >Thanks for the link and info. This looks quite promising--- if my management >buys into a 'no HW design' approach. How is support?
Google for comments on Netburner rin comp.arch.embedded, I think that you would find the answer to this question more valuable from our customers, rather than from an employee. ;-)
>Do you have FAEs? The >word 'beta' scares me :)
Netburner licensed the file system from HCC embedded. The HCC embedded flash file system is not Beta. As shipped from HCC it requires that the customer do some porting integration work. We are now providing this integration and including it in object format. It's this integration with our standard tools and the asociated install, build, make, and link that is beta. We have a number of customer happily using the HCC embedded file system in shipping applications.
> >I must say though that for our application, this seems to be a bit of >overkill in terms of processing power. We could probably get by with just >the 5213 if there's enough IO to add Compact Flash.I guess we could buy a >5270 development kit, use its schematic as basis for a new board design >using the smaller processor but retaining the CF interface??? > >I expect we will send/receive minimal data over Ethernet--maybe one or two >packets per minute. The uarts will be collecting data from a plethora of >RS485 type sensors and logging data to the CF. Host then will request CF log >data on infrequent intervals....so you can see, not a great need for speed >here. > >Power may also be a concern. Requirements are in development, but its >possible we may need to run on a few AA batteries for several days at a >time. I assume that reducing the clk speed is a viable way to do this? Is >there a minimum clk required on these devices? > >Thanks, Bo > >
Reply by Bo August 31, 20052005-08-31
<pbreed@netburner.com> wrote in message
> Take a look at the NetBurner MOD5270 > We have a CF Fat filesystem in Beta. > (We are includeing the HCC embedded file system with our modules in object > form.) > > > Paul > > www.netburner.com >
Thanks for the link and info. This looks quite promising--- if my management buys into a 'no HW design' approach. How is support? Do you have FAEs? The word 'beta' scares me :) I must say though that for our application, this seems to be a bit of overkill in terms of processing power. We could probably get by with just the 5213 if there's enough IO to add Compact Flash.I guess we could buy a 5270 development kit, use its schematic as basis for a new board design using the smaller processor but retaining the CF interface??? I expect we will send/receive minimal data over Ethernet--maybe one or two packets per minute. The uarts will be collecting data from a plethora of RS485 type sensors and logging data to the CF. Host then will request CF log data on infrequent intervals....so you can see, not a great need for speed here. Power may also be a concern. Requirements are in development, but its possible we may need to run on a few AA batteries for several days at a time. I assume that reducing the clk speed is a viable way to do this? Is there a minimum clk required on these devices? Thanks, Bo
Reply by Bo August 31, 20052005-08-31
Looks OK, but I'm not sure of our management view of a purchased board vs.
developing one though.... I had not considered x86. Not sure I want to
either---that's why I got out of the PC/GUI code world.

(Kinda takes all the fun out of it, huh? :)

Seriously though, I'll run it by the project lead....

Bo