Reply by Stef Mientki December 18, 20052005-12-18
miro wrote:
> Contrary to widespread misconceptions, you don't need expensive design > automation tools to apply UML. Such tools typically come with a drawing > package to create various diagrams. In fact, most of the tools, if they > are used at all, end up as overpriced drawing packages. To this end, a > good drawing program does as much for you as a fancy CASE tool. > > Visio (now Microsoft Visio) is one of such drawing programs that should > satisfy most of your UML drawing needs.
Argo UML is far much completer and costs less (=FREE) Stef Mientki
Reply by miro December 18, 20052005-12-18
Contrary to widespread misconceptions, you don't need expensive design
automation tools to apply UML. Such tools typically come with a drawing
package to create various diagrams. In fact, most of the tools, if they
are used at all, end up as overpriced drawing packages. To this end, a
good drawing program does as much for you as a fancy CASE tool.

Visio (now Microsoft Visio) is one of such drawing programs that should
satisfy most of your UML drawing needs. To use Visio effectively for UML,
you need to have "UML stencils", which are sets of graphic objects that
you can use in your drawings. A few examples of good Visio UML resources
are:

Pavel Hruby offers Visio Stencil and Template for UML 2.0 for various
versions of Microsoft Visio (http://www.phruby.com/stencildownload.html).

Allen Holub offers Visio stencils as well as UML Quick Reference in his
goody bag (http://www.holub.com/goodies/uml_visio/).

Visio Cafe lists a lot of resources and links related to Visio
(http://www.visiocafe.com).

Finally, Quantum Leaps website offers a simple UML Visio stencil and the
whole lightweight method to turn UML state machine to efficient and
maintainable C or C++ code without heavyweight tools
(http://www.quantum-leaps.com/resources/goodies.htm#Visio)

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) program website has whole
section devoted to Visio�.

Reply by Sagar October 19, 20052005-10-19
Mr. C wrote:

> Does anybody in this group recommend any good diagramming tool for UML > (Unified Modelling Language)? I have tried Smartdraw and it looks OK. > MS Word, although no extra cost, is pretty clunky when things need to > be moved and re-arranged. I am looking at something dedicated to UML > that does not contain capability for floor plans and other un-related > things. >
Try Ontology http://www-ksl.stanford.edu/kst/what-is-an-ontology.html Hope this may help you. ITs a open source http://kaon.semanticweb.org/ Cheers Sagar
Reply by David Schmider October 19, 20052005-10-19
Mr. C schrieb:
> Does anybody in this group recommend any good diagramming tool for UML > (Unified Modelling Language)? I have tried Smartdraw and it looks OK. > MS Word, although no extra cost, is pretty clunky when things need to > be moved and re-arranged. I am looking at something dedicated to UML > that does not contain capability for floor plans and other un-related > things. > > I know there are some packages for several thousand that do all kinds > of things but they do more than I want and are completely out of my > price range. I am willing to spend $100-200 or so for a package that > is good - good at just drawing and maintaining the various UML > diagrams. Any recommendations? Thanks. > > Lou
Maybe the Cadifra UML Editor could be something for you. Its a small and simple tool to draw UML diagrams. See www.cadifra.com. The tool does not generate code. There is fully functional free evaluation version (no time limit) available: www.cadifra.com/download. Dave
Reply by October 17, 20052005-10-17
Mr. C wrote:

> Does anybody in this group recommend any good diagramming tool for UML > (Unified Modelling Language)? I have tried Smartdraw and it looks OK. > MS Word, although no extra cost, is pretty clunky when things need to > be moved and re-arranged. I am looking at something dedicated to UML > that does not contain capability for floor plans and other un-related > things. > > I know there are some packages for several thousand that do all kinds > of things but they do more than I want and are completely out of my > price range. I am willing to spend $100-200 or so for a package that > is good - good at just drawing and maintaining the various UML > diagrams. Any recommendations? Thanks. > > Lou
Umbrello http://uml.sourceforge.net/index.php Regards Heinz
Reply by eKIK October 16, 20052005-10-16
Just to add another one to the list:
ProxyDesigner - http://www.proxysource.com/

Nice freeware thingie, has some quirks but works really fine most of
the time.

// Erik N=E4slund

Reply by Martin Kaul October 13, 20052005-10-13
Mr. C wrote:
> Does anybody in this group recommend any good diagramming tool for UML > (Unified Modelling Language)? I have tried Smartdraw and it looks OK. > MS Word, although no extra cost, is pretty clunky when things need to > be moved and re-arranged. I am looking at something dedicated to UML > that does not contain capability for floor plans and other un-related > things. > > I know there are some packages for several thousand that do all kinds > of things but they do more than I want and are completely out of my > price range. I am willing to spend $100-200 or so for a package that > is good - good at just drawing and maintaining the various UML > diagrams. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Take a look to http://www.jeckle.de/umltools.htm regards Martin
Reply by Peter Bushell October 13, 20052005-10-13
"Mr. C" <fakeemail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anybody in this group recommend any good diagramming tool for UML
<snip> I use Enterprise Architect. It's pitched towards IT but I've used it successfully in embedded work. It does more than you want, including code generation (class framework only) to Java and C++ (among others), and the associated "reverse engineering", which is very good for generating diagrams from existing C++ code. It can also work with common revision control systems and - most importantly - is in your quoted price range. The link is: www.sparxsystems.com.au -- Peter Bushell http://www.software-integrity.com/
Reply by EventHelix.com October 13, 20052005-10-13
This query is more suited to comp.object.

ArgoUML is a freeware UML tool that might work for you.

--
EventStudio System Designer 2.5 - http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
Sequence Diagram Based Real-time and Embedded System Design Tool

Reply by Tolga Onbay October 12, 20052005-10-12
Try eclipse