Reply by November 19, 20052005-11-19
Dear John

as you suggested to use G20 module and as u have worked with that can u
guide me more on this.....

As I am new to ARM world but good with serial communication and
itnerfaces so if this module directly can be connected to serial port
that will be best....

Just guide me more about this....................what is the cost of
this module if i ll go for more then 2000 pc.

Thanks

john.orlando@gmail.com wrote:
> > > For my project I am working with philips ARM7 based LPC2214 > > > microcontroller and now I have to interface PCMCIA GSM modem with the > > > circuit. I need to transmit some data by this modem because of its low > > > cost and I need to go for near about 20,000 boards so interfacing PCMCIA > > > is very benificial cost wise. > > Wouldn't it be easier to use one of the small, embedded phone modules > (such as the G20 by Motorola) that requires only a serial port > connection and a digital audiot interface? I've worked with these > before, and they are pretty easy to make work. Siemens also makes > modules similar in form and function. > > Standard disclaimer: I work for Motorola, but have nothing to do with > the group that manufacturers/sells/supports these modules. I have > simply used them in research projects. > > John O.
Reply by October 31, 20052005-10-31
> > For my project I am working with philips ARM7 based LPC2214 > > microcontroller and now I have to interface PCMCIA GSM modem with the > > circuit. I need to transmit some data by this modem because of its low > > cost and I need to go for near about 20,000 boards so interfacing PCMCIA > > is very benificial cost wise.
Wouldn't it be easier to use one of the small, embedded phone modules (such as the G20 by Motorola) that requires only a serial port connection and a digital audiot interface? I've worked with these before, and they are pretty easy to make work. Siemens also makes modules similar in form and function. Standard disclaimer: I work for Motorola, but have nothing to do with the group that manufacturers/sells/supports these modules. I have simply used them in research projects. John O.
Reply by Remis Norvilis October 31, 20052005-10-31
And then bhimanipankaj wrote:

> Dear Friends... > > For my project I am working with philips ARM7 based LPC2214 > microcontroller and now I have to interface PCMCIA GSM modem with the > circuit. I need to transmit some data by this modem because of its low > cost and I need to go for near about 20,000 boards so interfacing PCMCIA > is very benificial cost wise. > > The problem I am facing I don't know how to interface this modem with > LPC2214 microcontroller so any body can guide this newbie and atleast save > my job ;) > > Pankaj > > > > This message was sent using the comp.arch.embedded web interface on > www.EmbeddedRelated.com
You should start with acquiring PCMCIA specs, then comparing signals and timing diagrams with LPC2214. LPC2214 external bus interface is configurable, you might need to add some glue logic in discrete gates or using small CPLD. Remis
Reply by bhimanipankaj October 27, 20052005-10-27
Thanks very much guys for the support and guidance

I know all about serial port and serial modem transmission, so is it like
I have to just memory map it and start sending data with AT commands???

As I am using LPC2214 with 144 pins I have enough memory and data bus so
any design guidance with this or any reference to the material can help.

Always being thankful to you,
Pankaj
>On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:12:13 +0200, <cs_posting@hotmail.com> wrote: > >> You need a local bus to pcmcia bridge device. PCMCIA is similar to >> pci > >cardbus > >bhimanipankaj have you got any documentation regarding this gsm modem ?
>windows drivers ? Its propably just serial port. You will have to memory
>map it. > >-- >I really have no idea what this means. And since I can't install linux on
>it, I'm gonna go back to surfing pr0n. >the penguins are psychotic / just smile and wave >
This message was sent using the comp.arch.embedded web interface on www.EmbeddedRelated.com
Reply by koko October 17, 20052005-10-17
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:12:13 +0200, <cs_posting@hotmail.com> wrote:

> You need a local bus to pcmcia bridge device. PCMCIA is similar to > pci
cardbus bhimanipankaj have you got any documentation regarding this gsm modem ? windows drivers ? Its propably just serial port. You will have to memory map it. -- I really have no idea what this means. And since I can't install linux on it, I'm gonna go back to surfing pr0n. the penguins are psychotic / just smile and wave
Reply by larwe October 17, 20052005-10-17

> You need a local bus to pcmcia bridge device. PCMCIA is similar to > pci, but not sure if off the shelf pci bridge devices or pci functions
_CARDBUS_ is similar to PCI. PCMCIA 2.0 is more like ISA. CompactFlash implements a _PCMCIA_ interface, pretty much. This type of card is quite likely to be PCMCIA, not CardBus, and hence the interfacing requirements are not too onerous.
Reply by October 17, 20052005-10-17
You need a local bus to pcmcia bridge device.  PCMCIA is similar to
pci, but not sure if off the shelf pci bridge devices or pci functions
for FPGAs can be made to handle it.

If you can find a verison of the modem in a compact flash form factor,
that would be easier to talk to.

Reply by bhimanipankaj October 17, 20052005-10-17