Reply by Rolf Blom November 11, 20052005-11-11
> news:1131624591.758174.93370@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > >>I'm looking for a converter that will allow me to hook up a compact PCI >>expansion chassis to a PCI based machine. (basically a CPCI board, a >>PCI board, and a cable to go between the two.) >> >>I figure it may be that simple since CPCI is electrically identical to >>PCI, just on a different form factor, right? >> >>Anybody know of somebody who makes such a thing? >> >>Also, how would hot-swap capable boards be affected by this? I seem to >>recall from reading that whenever a hot-swap capable card is inserted, >>the #ENUM line gets hit and the bus gets enumerated. Would this cause a >>PCI device to be detected at this point by a windows box (2K for >>instance), or would hot swap not work right in this situation? >> >>I already tried a Ziatech adapter card designed to allow a 3U CPCI >>board to plug into a PCI slot, this didn't work for me. I was using it >>with a 6U card, and it would power up partway but wouldn't come up >>fully. (I sort of wonder why, since I thought the secondary connector >>that 6U boards use was just for transition (ie back card) signal use. >> >>Anybody have any ideas? >>
On a 3U cPCI board, both P1 & P2 are sharing the PCI bus. (upper part of 64bit bus is on P2, plus a slot address (GA), and there is also a 'system slot' identifier pin that may be looked at by combined master/slave cpu:s, to determine if they should power up or wait for an external master giving the go-ahead, as part of the hot-swapping logic. (You may need to look at your individual board spec to find out what's needed, but the bus specs are at picmg.org) On a 6U cPCI board, the P3 is for the rear transition panel, but I've not seen any rear I/O used with standard 3U boards. Custom I/O could be differently made I expect. One thing I've seen when using a cPCI board in a PC, is that some PC power supplies isn't really suitable to cPCI; modern cPCI relies mainly on +3.3V supply, while modern ATX PSU:S are mainly supplying +12V power. Also the +3.3V regulation is often dependent on +5V load, so one may have to introduce a dummy load to get within tolerable +3.3V levels. The +3.3V requirement is also marginal in some cases due to differences in precision, ATX is +/-5% on +3.3V, while cPCI wants +5% -3% accuracy, and if the cPCI bord is marginally designed, it can be a problem. If you have older 33MHz 32 bit cPCI board, it's +5V VI/O on the pci bus, not +3.3V as the newer 66MHz 64bit boards; this too must be considered, as not all adapters can be configured to work with either voltage; i.e. you can burn off some copper traces if mismatched. /Rolf
Reply by Sonic November 11, 20052005-11-11
I think Catalyst have all that kind of thing...

http://www.getcatalyst.com/adapters.jsp

"reenigne" <k8jlf@aol.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking for a converter that will allow me to hook up a compact PCI > expansion chassis to a PCI based machine. (basically a CPCI board, a > PCI board, and a cable to go between the two.) > > I figure it may be that simple since CPCI is electrically identical to > PCI, just on a different form factor, right? > > Anybody know of somebody who makes such a thing? > > Also, how would hot-swap capable boards be affected by this? I seem to > recall from reading that whenever a hot-swap capable card is inserted, > the #ENUM line gets hit and the bus gets enumerated. Would this cause a > PCI device to be detected at this point by a windows box (2K for > instance), or would hot swap not work right in this situation? > > I already tried a Ziatech adapter card designed to allow a 3U CPCI > board to plug into a PCI slot, this didn't work for me. I was using it > with a 6U card, and it would power up partway but wouldn't come up > fully. (I sort of wonder why, since I thought the secondary connector > that 6U boards use was just for transition (ie back card) signal use. > > Anybody have any ideas? >
Reply by TC November 10, 20052005-11-10
"reenigne" <k8jlf@aol.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking for a converter that will allow me to hook up a compact PCI > expansion chassis to a PCI based machine. (basically a CPCI board, a > PCI board, and a cable to go between the two.) > > I figure it may be that simple since CPCI is electrically identical to > PCI, just on a different form factor, right? > > Anybody know of somebody who makes such a thing? > > Also, how would hot-swap capable boards be affected by this? I seem to > recall from reading that whenever a hot-swap capable card is inserted, > the #ENUM line gets hit and the bus gets enumerated. Would this cause a > PCI device to be detected at this point by a windows box (2K for > instance), or would hot swap not work right in this situation? > > I already tried a Ziatech adapter card designed to allow a 3U CPCI > board to plug into a PCI slot, this didn't work for me. I was using it > with a 6U card, and it would power up partway but wouldn't come up > fully. (I sort of wonder why, since I thought the secondary connector > that 6U boards use was just for transition (ie back card) signal use. > > Anybody have any ideas? >
Check out the following link. http://www.stargen.com/starfabric/partner_products.shtml
Reply by reenigne November 10, 20052005-11-10