Reply by Andrew Jackson November 11, 20052005-11-11
>>> I certainly recognize that SPI is going to limit the transfer speeds >>> possible. The advantage to SPI is that it is available. The other >>> possibility from my perspective is a high speed serial port (SPORT, >>> not a UART). >> >> Ah, Blackfin. > > Close, actually SHARC.
Yes, I should have read your website first.
>> You might consider using a PIC? There are a number of CF designs >> (hardware and software) floating around for a PIC (e.g. >> http://www.armanet.com/schematic.pdf). You might slightly adapt one >> of those and the SPI interface on the PIC. You'd have to proxy the >> various I/O operations (with some intelligence) between SPI<>CF. >> [Replace PIC with AVR/8051 depending on personal preference.] > > I thought of this idea as well but I think I would probably use an > FPGA instead just to make the interface fast. The advantage to CF is > that it can be much faster than MMC. With a SPORT, I can transfer raw > data at 50Mbit/sec.
When I used CF cards I found quite a wide variation in the (write) speeds: ultimately you are dependent on the controller on the card. Andrew
Reply by Andrew Jackson November 11, 20052005-11-11
> I looked at MMC/SD cards for the first time today. These cards are > incredibily easy to interface with a SPI port. I guess I will probably > forget about CF cards.
You also minimize the amount of extra circuitry that you need.
> I also was referred to a part (Fatfile) that Saelig (www.saelig.com) > sells that alloes SPI to IDE and other interfaces.
That's neat: ARM not PIC. Andrew
Reply by Al Clark November 10, 20052005-11-10
"Andrew Jackson" <alj@nospam.com> wrote in

> [...]
Close, actually SHARC.
> >> I want to interface to a DSP where I don't have a parallel data bus >> available. > > You might consider using a PIC? There are a number of CF designs > (hardware and software) floating around for a PIC (e.g. > http://www.armanet.com/schematic.pdf). You might slightly adapt one of > those and the SPI interface on the PIC. You'd have to proxy the > various I/O operations (with some intelligence) between SPI<>CF. > [Replace PIC with AVR/8051 depending on personal preference.]
I thought of this idea as well but I think I would probably use an FPGA instead just to make the interface fast. The advantage to CF is that it can be much faster than MMC. With a SPORT, I can transfer raw data at 50Mbit/sec. -- Al Clark Danville Signal Processing, Inc. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Purveyors of Fine DSP Hardware and other Cool Stuff Available at http://www.danvillesignal.com
Reply by Al Clark November 10, 20052005-11-10
"Andrew Jackson" <alj@nospam.com> wrote in

I looked at MMC/SD cards for the first time today. These cards are incredibily easy to interface with a SPI port. I guess I will probably forget about CF cards. I also was referred to a part (Fatfile) that Saelig (www.saelig.com) sells that alloes SPI to IDE and other interfaces. Thanks for all the comments. -- Al Clark Danville Signal Processing, Inc. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Purveyors of Fine DSP Hardware and other Cool Stuff Available at http://www.danvillesignal.com
Reply by Andrew Jackson November 10, 20052005-11-10
"Dominik Doma&#4294967295;ski" <d_domanski@tlen.pl> wrote in

>> Does anyone have a source (or design) for a CF reader with a SPI > interface? >> An alternative would be a card that had at least 256M Bytes of SDRAM. >> >> The SPI interface on this card would be configured as a slave. > > CF is quite fast but transfer speed will be decrased by SPI. That's > why it's better to use MMC cards,which can work without problems with > SPI bus. >
I certainly recognize that SPI is going to limit the transfer speeds possible. The advantage to SPI is that it is available. The other possibility from my perspective is a high speed serial port (SPORT, not a UART). I want to interface to a DSP where I don't have a parallel data bus available. -- Al Clark Danville Signal Processing, Inc. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Purveyors of Fine DSP Hardware and other Cool Stuff Available at http://www.danvillesignal.com
Reply by November 10, 20052005-11-10
CF is quite fast but transfer speed will be decrased by SPI. That's why it's better to use MMC cards,which can work without problems with SPI bus. Dominik Domanski d_domanski@NO_SPAMtlen.pl