Reply by December 13, 20052005-12-13
http://www.actel.com/products/fusion/#

Reply by Everett M. Greene December 3, 20052005-12-03
Dave Hansen <iddw@hotmail.com> writes:
> Jim Granville <no.spam@designtools.co.nz> wrote: > > [...] > >stacking die - Q: if it's one package, but >1 die, what do you call it ? > > I've always heard it called MCM. Though to some that implies a > "mini-pcb" implemented on a ceramic substrate.
The more things change, ... Didn't connecting the bare die used to be called hybrid packaging/packages (where "used to be" >= 20 years ago)?
Reply by Dave Hansen December 2, 20052005-12-02
On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 07:38:28 +1300 in comp.arch.embedded, Jim
Granville <no.spam@designtools.co.nz> wrote:

[...]
>stacking die - Q: if it's one package, but >1 die, what do you call it ?
I've always heard it called MCM. Though to some that implies a "mini-pcb" implemented on a ceramic substrate. Regards, -=Dave -- Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply by Jim Granville December 2, 20052005-12-02
Ian Bell wrote:
> Telenochek wrote: > >>I think I need to clarify/modify my original question: >> >>See, my personal opinion is that if you can find one IC that has all >>the capabilities your system needs (maybe IC with 4 pins is enough or >>maybe 100M reprogrammable gates is just enough, doesn't matter), then >>you are better off selecting that IC rather than combining a bunch of >>ICs on a PCB which combined give you the same capability as the one IC. >> > > > I think SoC is a bit like fusion - talked about a lot but not much real > progress.
Correct - it's mostly a marketing phantom : and what they claim as single chip, usually needs others to actually work... "Oh, - but it's only one chip from _us_, so it is our One-Chip solution "
> > I gave a series of seminars on SoC about 20 years ago and to be frank there > has been little progress in the directions we anticipated. In practice is > has all been overshadowed by the move from analogue to digital processing. > Die sizes have increased and device packaging has only got worse.
Even Cell phones, where the biggest impetus for single chip appears, are stacking die - Q: if it's one package, but >1 die, what do you call it ?
> Perhaps the only area where SoC has made any real progress in in really mall > really low cost consumer items where COB is now commonplace.
Shouldn't that be called CoS, then :) [LCDs do call it CoG] -jg
Reply by Mark Borgerson December 2, 20052005-12-02
In article <1133514258.209403.227380@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
interpasha@hotmail.com says...
> Thank you all for your responses! > There are some really nice things here that I didn't think about > (like difficulty manufacturing precision analog circuitry, rf > circuitry, fast memory & etc on the same chip). > > I think I need to clarify/modify my original question: > > See, my personal opinion is that if you can find one IC that has all > the capabilities your system needs (maybe IC with 4 pins is enough or > maybe 100M reprogrammable gates is just enough, doesn't matter), then > you are better off selecting that IC rather than combining a bunch of > ICs on a PCB which combined give you the same capability as the one IC. > > That's exactly what my definition of a SoC is: one chip has all the > capabilities for your project. > So whats the problem with generalized MCUs? > The problem (as I see it) is that it doesn't matter how large the > manufacturer product lineup selection is, most projects always require > something extra that the chips are not going to have. So you get a > bunch of chips with all the needed capabilities and you place them on > your PCB, etc etc. > But in the end (maybe distant future) aren't you much better off having > all of these chips combined on a single IC? > > Which is why I was sort of thinking (in my original question) that > future designers are much more likely to be building specialized ICs > (SoC) for their projects rather than develop PCBs. > Again, as I said earlier, if someone is selling a chip that has all the > capabilities you need, then there is your SoC, you don't need to > develop a large PCB, or develop your own IC/SoC :) > > Do you guys think that future designers will be transitioning to > designing custom ICs for their projects rather than PCBs? > Or using *highly customizable IC platforms* rather than develop > PCBs?
I think a highly customizable IC will always have a higher current requirement and cost more than two or three simpler ICs. It will still be simpler to design the PC board for a 64-pin LQFP MCU and another 64 pins of smaller parts that it will be to design a board for a 208-pin BGA package----even if you are only using half the pins. If you put enough logic on the chip to cover 95% of the possible uses, I would guess that 95% of the time the designer will be using only half the logic, but paying for all of it.
> > I sort of doubt that it will be FPGAs : > Since the hardware configuration is stored on board, rather than being > physically implemented, they are always going to be power hungry > (unless the gates start consuming 10^(-16) Amps quiescent). > And if you have a good design (that is out of the prototyping stage) > with reasonable volume its probably better to have a *hardwired* but > customizable/flexible chip. > >
Mark Borgerson
Reply by Ian Bell December 2, 20052005-12-02
Telenochek wrote:
> > I think I need to clarify/modify my original question: > > See, my personal opinion is that if you can find one IC that has all > the capabilities your system needs (maybe IC with 4 pins is enough or > maybe 100M reprogrammable gates is just enough, doesn't matter), then > you are better off selecting that IC rather than combining a bunch of > ICs on a PCB which combined give you the same capability as the one IC. >
I think SoC is a bit like fusion - talked about a lot but not much real progress. I gave a series of seminars on SoC about 20 years ago and to be frank there has been little progress in the directions we anticipated. In practice is has all been overshadowed by the move from analogue to digital processing. Die sizes have increased and device packaging has only got worse. Perhaps the only area where SoC has made any real progress in in really mall really low cost consumer items where COB is now commonplace. Ian
Reply by Telenochek December 2, 20052005-12-02
[...]

Reply by PeteS November 30, 20052005-11-30
Jan Homuth wrote:
> For high volume, low cost applications the PIC and other chips will survive. > Larger Applications (i.e. 16 or 32 bit bit MCU with lots of peripherals and > additional circuitry) will likely have an alternative to be moved to FPGA, > using soft IP cores. > > Have a look at www.alium.com -> Nexar. > > They are on this course. > That is: use an FPGA, add a soft IP core (anything from 8051 core to > PPC/ARM) and some soft IP library modules and you have a self designed > processor. Target specific compilers are part of this Embedde Deveopment > system so you do not have to do everything in VHDL. > > You do not have to be a FPGA or VHDL epert to work with this system. > > I guess it is just a matter of time when this concept will be accepted as a > serious alternative to conventional MCU solutions. > > > grtnx > /janh >
Unfortunately, the power consumption of FPGAs is still way too high in many applications. I can get 32 bit processing with peripherals at a fraction of the power of an FPGA with a soft core. To a great extent, it's inherent in the design, using SRAM LUTs. Unless and until this is addressed, FPGA SoC will probably not reach critical mass. Cheers PeteS
Reply by Jan Homuth November 30, 20052005-11-30

"Telenochek" <interpasha@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I am wondering if the SoC (ARM/AMBA architecture) (where a > whole system with upgradeable hardware modules/ IP cores can be stuffed > inside a single chip) will make all kinds of generalized > microcontrollers (like PIC) obsolete. > When PIC microcontrollers are used, they often need external hardware > to help them, DSP blocks cannot be integrated into the chip at will > (its all up to Microchip, whatever they decide to include in a chip). > Just seems to me like SoC will eventually replace every MCU based > system, because of the processing power, and application-specific > flexibility in hardware. And almost all systems can use extra > processing power, capabilities & etc. > Maybe a traffic light with video camera and remote alerts for > speeders + array radar sensing of speeding cars & reporting their > position via GPS. I'm not saying that developing a supercomputing > traffic light is a very high priority task, just using it as an > illustration of stuffing more capability into into a simple system. > > What would be the problem will be with replacing almost all MCU-based > systems with SoC? >
Reply by Guy Macon November 29, 20052005-11-29

Try designing a digital wristwatch or in-ear hearing aid using one if you think that size and battery life aren't an issue. -- Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com/> <a href="http://www.guymacon.com/"> http://www.guymacon.com/ </a>