Reply by Grant Edwards December 14, 20052005-12-14
On 2005-12-14, Daniele <daniele.gadaleta@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, after some day of work i have this trouble: > - I don't know what is the speed of the device > - I don't know how many bit it ues > - I don't know if parity bit is present
A few minutes with a 'scope will answer most/all of those questions.
> Then when I connect the PC with the two device, the display of second > device (the keyboard, with lcd display) send a connection error (open > the connection via Hyperterminal). > What my problem?
You're using the wrong tools. First step is an oscilloscope. Your second problem, you're using Hyperterminal.
> How i can decide what is the configuration parameters for > Hyperterminal (speed, data bit number, parity, stop bit > number, ecc...)?
Oscilloscope. Prefereably a digital storage scope one with two channels that can be set up differentially.
> It's linked with integrate type? I can read the IC's part > number than I can search for spech?
-- Grant Edwards grante Yow! .. Now KEN and BARBIE at are PERMANENTLY ADDICTED to visi.com MIND-ALTERING DRUGS...
Reply by Meindert Sprang December 14, 20052005-12-14
"Daniele" <daniele.gadaleta@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes, excuse me. I read all your reply. > But now i have another doubt. Is my configuration true?
Yes. Just make sure you apply the right level to the RTS line on your converter since this is mostly used to switch between transmitting and receiving. And you want to be receiving only. Meindert
Reply by Daniele December 14, 20052005-12-14
Yes, excuse me. I read all your reply.
But now i have another doubt. Is my configuration true?

DEVICE 1                      DEVICE 2
RS 485                        RS 485
------------                  -----------
| + - A B  |                  | + - A B |
------------                  -----------
  | | | |                       | | | |
  | | | +-----------------------------|
  | | +-|---------------------------|
  | +-|-|-------------------------|
  +-|-|-|-----------------------|
  | | | |
  | | | |
------------
| + - A B  |
------------
RS 232-485 Converter

Sigh, I qoute from my reply: "Use for instance TeraTerm (free), which works like a charm" So, go to www.google.com, enter TeraTerm and download it from the first link...... Meindert

> Well, after some day of work i have this trouble: > - I don't know what is the speed of the device
With an oscilloscope, you can tell the speed within seconds.
> - I don't know how many bit it ues
If single bytes are sent with delays between, see above.
> - I don't know if parity bit is present
See above.
> Then when I connect the PC with the two device, the display of second > device (the keyboard, with lcd display) send a connection error (open > the connection via Hyperterminal).
Hyperterminal is crap. When you open a com port with data present, hyperterm says it cannot open the port in 95% of the cases. This is a hyperterminal error. Use for instance TeraTerm (free), which works like a charm. With TT you can also change all com settings (baud, bits etc) on the fly without having to close the connection first, like hyperterm wants.
> What my problem? How i can decide what is the configuration parameters > for Hyperterminal (speed, data bit number, parity, stop bit number, > ecc...)? It's linked with integrate type? I can read the IC's part > number than I can search for spech?
Drop hyperterm and use decent software. Meindert
Reply by Daniele December 14, 20052005-12-14
Well, after some day of work i have this trouble:
- I don't know what is the speed of the device
- I don't know how many bit it ues
- I don't know if parity bit is present

Then when I connect the PC with the two device, the display of second
device (the keyboard, with lcd display) send a connection error (open
the connection via Hyperterminal).
What my problem? How i can decide what is the configuration parameters
for Hyperterminal (speed, data bit number, parity, stop bit number,
ecc...)? It's linked with integrate type? I can read the IC's part
number than I can search for spech?

Thanks in advanced
Daniele

Reply by R Adsett December 3, 20052005-12-03
In article <El0kf.9229$Cj5.3949@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>,
tech@picmodules.com says...
> My suggestion would be to get hold of one of those RS485 to RS232 > converters. Hook it up to a PC serial port and connect the RS485 end to the > bus. You will not need to transmit onto the bus and so this should be quite > easy. Next, scope the waveform on the bus and determine the baud rate and > bit depth, stop bits etc. Then set these parameters in hyperminal and see > what data you capture. Unfortunately because hyperterminal is not a binary > to ASCII converter you will only see ASCII valid charaters and its possbile > that some data will be lost. Once you have this working then you need to > find/beg/borrow/write etc. an application that allows you to capture binary > data (0-255) and be able to display the digits 0-255.
Or just use a reasonable terminal emulator. For Windows based PCs Realterm come to mind but there are others. FOr that matter it was possible to do this with PC-Kermit if I remember correctly. Hyperterminal is worth rather less than you paid for it. Robert
Reply by Stef Mientki December 2, 20052005-12-02
hello,

I thinking of realizing a wireless link, from a portable PIC system to a PC.
The needed datarate is about 100 kbit.
No (or maybe very slow) data from PC to PIC.

Another requirement is to use as much standard components as possible.

So there seems 2 ways to go:  wifi  or  bluetooth.

Now my guess is that bluetooth devices are easier to interface with a pic,
and more general available (in small quantities)  then wifi.

Anyone has experience with these interfaces ?
Any other comment ?

thanks,
Stef Mientki
Reply by Jim December 2, 20052005-12-02
> No, but this isn't a quiz like "what type of device is?" :) . The > device is a central for fire alarm. >
Do you mean the main control panel device for a fire panel?. What manufacture and model number is it? I only ask because I have a college who used to work for a fire panel manufacturer. He might be able to shed some light on the subject. From your answers to my long query list it can almost be assumed that the (lets call it an FP for now), FP microcontroller is controlling the RS485 bus. Therefore it would also be reasonable assumption that it is using a standard UART and therefore that the data will be able to be picked out using PC software (Although standard PC UARTS do not support 9-bit data it is possible in most cases to use the parity bit for the 9th bit, unless the protocol is using parity as well - lets assume that this is not the case). So... My suggestion would be to get hold of one of those RS485 to RS232 converters. Hook it up to a PC serial port and connect the RS485 end to the bus. You will not need to transmit onto the bus and so this should be quite easy. Next, scope the waveform on the bus and determine the baud rate and bit depth, stop bits etc. Then set these parameters in hyperminal and see what data you capture. Unfortunately because hyperterminal is not a binary to ASCII converter you will only see ASCII valid charaters and its possbile that some data will be lost. Once you have this working then you need to find/beg/borrow/write etc. an application that allows you to capture binary data (0-255) and be able to display the digits 0-255. If you know VB or VC++ or whatever then this is quite easy using the MSCOM control and in fact if you got to the "code project" website (www.codeproject.com) you might find someone has already done one (not checked so I don't know if this is the case). Then... start deciphering.. Good luck! Jim www.picmodules.com