Reply by Ulf Samuelsson December 3, 20052005-12-03
"devlin" <e4borgen@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Hello, > We're having two ethernet problems with an Atmel AT91RM9200 CPU > based construction. I'm interested if we are the only one > having these problems... > > Our first attempt were to use a 16MHz crystal and the AT91 built-in > PLL and programable clocks to generate the required > 50Mhz and 25Mhz needed for a Davicom DM9161 PHY and a Davicom > DM9000 10/100 ethernet controller (thus giving us two ethernet). > Somehow this were not very successful - TFTP and ping worked decent at > 100mbit when running u-boot (bootloader with interrupts/mmu etc. > disabled) > But somewhere during the linux boot the network activity led > started to flash rapidly - using an oscilloscope it seemed to > jump to 10mbit every second and then back to 100mbit mode > (but with very random and few packets getting through). > Forcing it to 10mbit half duplex made it work better but not > reliably. > What went wrong here ? Are the PLLs just not good enogh to use > as a reference for a 50Mhz ethernet PHY / 25MHz eth. controller ? > Using cross-over cable and different ethernet boards in the other > end gave somewhere between 20-100% packetloss on ping packets. > > Well... > Skipping the PLL and using a 50Mhz oscillator instead gave us > a better reliability on both of the ethernet circuits. > We have reliable 100mbit half/full communication on both > davicom circuits - but we are not able to talk to devices with an > Altima AC101 PHY circuit unless we use 10mbit half duplex. > The same problem has been observed on the Atmel AT91RM9200-EK board > which also uses the Davicom DM9161 PHY. > Has anyone else noticed that the Davicom and Altima circuits are > incompatible ? > Is there a 'compability' matrix of different PHY manufacturers ? >
AFAIK, use of the internal PLL for Ethernet PHY is not recommended. Also, make sure you set your PHY to autonegotiation, otherwise there are units which could have problems. Some D-link and Intel switches seems to be unaware of 100 Mbps Full Duplex. Autonegotiation seems to always end up in 100 Mbps HALF duplex. Setting a PHY to 100 Mbps Full Duplex generates a lot of lost packets. Never heard about Altima PHYs. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may bot be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
> Thanks. > Devlin >
Reply by devlin November 30, 20052005-11-30
[...]

Thanks.
Devlin