Reply by Werner January 13, 20062006-01-13
Hi,
the 167 is a good candidate to be used in vehicles (cars) because some
flavors of them have CAN modules included. White papers should be
available at Infineons homepage.

Development boards:
http://www.phytec.de/phytec/fuer_16-bit_module.html
http://www.phytec.de/phytec/fuer_16-bit_module/rapid_development_kit_phycore-167cr.html

http://www.mtm.at/starterkit.htm

Flashing the code to the controller might cause some troubles, by using
RTOS, application programming in C is quite straight forward.

About books you're right, they're in German (which is good for me :-) So
  far I couldn't find anything in English (@Amazon), but there are some
papers available on the web.

HTH
Werner

learnfpga@gmail.com schrieb:
> Hello Everyone, > I recently inherited a design based on Infineon C167 microcontroller > with Rigel Reads 3.1 software to program it. I have never done any > microcontroller programming before and since this doesnt seem to be > very popular microcontroller, there is not much I could find on the > net. There were a couple of books on it but I believe they are in > german only. However I have to work on it and so it will be great help > if people who have worked on this can guide me in the right direction. > That includes any suggestions on software, development boards, books > etc. Also it seems that there is are no topics discussed on this chip > since 2002. Is this microcontroller obselete or about to go out? Thanks > in advance for any suggestions. >
Reply by woko December 13, 20052005-12-13
Hi,
sorry, I did not get it: Rigel Sw is your development enviroment. I had
a short look their HP. It includes a c-compiler and a sw-monitor for a
fair price.
Any comments about it?

cheers,
Wolfgang

Reply by MK December 13, 20052005-12-13
<learnfpga@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by development environment? Do > you mean the software used to develop the code or the development board > used to develop the application or both? Thanks >
Hello, I suggest that you talk to Hitex - they sell the Keil C compiler for C167 and related processors and a range of hardware emulators. It's a while since I used a 167 but it's actually a pretty good processor. The latest Infineon parts in the family are the XC series which have on chip debug and go a lot faster but are fairly comaptible. If you can't switch to one of these the serial port debug support in the Keil tools is quite good and will even work with a software emulated serial port so that you don't use up a real one. I have found that the support from ST is a bit variable and their 167 variants have diverged completely from the Infineon parts (initially ST licensed the core from Inf). Hitex have some tutorial stuff about the 167 which is very helpful if you start from nothing. MK www.mkesc.co.uk
Reply by December 12, 20052005-12-12
Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by development environment? Do
you mean the software used to develop the code or the development board
used to develop the application or both? Thanks

Reply by woko December 12, 20052005-12-12
Hi anonymous,

thats what we do also- we have to live with the design and work with
it. I just don't recommend the uc for a new design.
But first thing you need is a development enviroment, if you aren't
stuck to an existing one.

regards,
Wolfgang

Reply by December 12, 20052005-12-12
Thanks For the reply. The problem is I dont have a choice and I have
the design and an application based on this microcontroller.  Also I
have Rigel Software to program this uC. The place where I work want me
to improve this design and seems like that will be a better option than
changing to a different uC now. However Infineons website still show
C167 and they have something called DAvE to initialise the C167.

I guess what I am looking for is may be a book where there is more
information on use of this uC. Thanks

Reply by woko December 12, 20052005-12-12
Hi,
the C167 was recently made by Infineon but now ST makes the chip. You
can also use the C168 of ST10, they should be compatible.
C compilers are available from KEIL, TASKING which will cost around
5000USD. Except of the expensive compilers, debugging is a sore spot of
this controller family.
I would not use it in a new design, if I had the choice.
Because it has no debug interface you have to use sw-emulators or
costly hardware emulators.

I guess ST10C168 will run for several years, because it is (was) a
common used uc.
You can find documentation on the website of manufactors.
Please let me know which developmentenviroment you use.

hth,
Wolgang Kopp

Reply by December 9, 20052005-12-09