Reply by Robert Lacoste January 16, 20062006-01-16
CCS is a very good "low cost" compiler. However if you want to use
Microchip's zigbee stack then you have no choice : You HAVE to use either
Microchip C (recommanded as this will give you a one-shop solution) or
Hitech (which is also supported I guess). Except if you like to convert and
debug a quite complex protocol stack with another compiler... Personnaly I
don't like Hitech as it is impossible to link Hitech C code with plain
microchip asm code (you have to use hitech's assembler too).

Friendly,
Robert

<johannblake@yahoo.com> a &#4294967295;crit dans le message de news:
1137344574.370442.188870@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I'm in the process of choosing between either using Microchip's C18 > compiler or the CCS compiler. I've read the comparisons as far as > features go and both are comparable although CCS does seem to have > somewhat more features. > > But one of the really big factors is simply how big the developer > communities compare. How much sample code is there on the web for both > compilers. When I google the keywords "C18" "code" and "sample" I come > up with 180,000 results, but when I google "CCS", "code" and "sample", > I come up with nearly 1,000,000. This doesn't really tell me that there > is more code out there for CCS but after visiting several web sites, I > almost get the feeling that there is. > > Another issue is whether it is even possible to take C code written for > the C18 and compile it with the CCS compiler. Is this possible or will > there be major problems? > > One of the things I wanted to include in my first project was support > for Zigbee (the new low power wireless protocol). Microchip not only > has a free stack but includes sample code and schematics on how to > interface to 2 vendor chips. CCS has nothing although I did find code > on the web from one developer. CCS did mention that they will provide > Zigbee support the first quarter of this year but I'll believe it when > I see it. > > So while CCS does seem to have more code in general, it is obvious that > they do lack in some areas. > > Any thoughts or experience that you can share on what to go with. If > you've worked with either compiler, please let me know your experience. > > Thanks > Johann Blake >
Reply by diggerdo January 15, 20062006-01-15
HiTech C for PICs is proven reliable.
Microchip had some troubles developing C compilers some years ago, so
suspect.
IMO. CCS isn't in the same league as HiTech.

HiTech is expensive, but you save alot of money in the long run going with
proven tools.

<johannblake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm in the process of choosing between either using Microchip's C18 > compiler or the CCS compiler. I've read the comparisons as far as > features go and both are comparable although CCS does seem to have > somewhat more features. > > But one of the really big factors is simply how big the developer > communities compare. How much sample code is there on the web for both > compilers. When I google the keywords "C18" "code" and "sample" I come > up with 180,000 results, but when I google "CCS", "code" and "sample", > I come up with nearly 1,000,000. This doesn't really tell me that there > is more code out there for CCS but after visiting several web sites, I > almost get the feeling that there is. > > Another issue is whether it is even possible to take C code written for > the C18 and compile it with the CCS compiler. Is this possible or will > there be major problems? > > One of the things I wanted to include in my first project was support > for Zigbee (the new low power wireless protocol). Microchip not only > has a free stack but includes sample code and schematics on how to > interface to 2 vendor chips. CCS has nothing although I did find code > on the web from one developer. CCS did mention that they will provide > Zigbee support the first quarter of this year but I'll believe it when > I see it. > > So while CCS does seem to have more code in general, it is obvious that > they do lack in some areas. > > Any thoughts or experience that you can share on what to go with. If > you've worked with either compiler, please let me know your experience. > > Thanks > Johann Blake > >
Reply by January 15, 20062006-01-15