Reply by Ulf Samuelsson February 10, 20062006-02-10
gcc and eCos. Talk to your normal Atmel distributor. They should be able to get hold of them. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may bot be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
> JaaC >
Reply by jaac February 10, 20062006-02-10
Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> "jagdish.dsp" <jagdish.dsp@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet > news:uuSdnROkSq5X0UPeRVn-uQ@giganews.com... > > Dear Friends, > > > > In my design I need to develope a DSP algorithm on one DSP processor and > > then to interface same with ARM which is handling all the peripherals. > > > > I am thinking if my DSP algorithm can be implemented on ARM or not...so > > need you help. Right now I am using evaluation board of Texas DSK, so > > taking the input from microphone is given to CODEC(A to D conversion) > > whose sampling freq is 32KHz. > > > > I have to implement 8192 point FFT on real time sound data.... > > And also want to implement Low pass FIR filter on Real time sound data > > before doing FFT. So can this be implemented on ARM 9 platform?????? > > while pareallaly I want to interface one modem, IR receiver,key board, and > > external memory with ARM. If possible please let me know which will be the > > best ARM9 based chip to implement the same. > > > > So is it possible to implement all this on ARM7 or ARM9 platform so with > > one processor only I will have my solution. > > What chip should I use for A/D conversion with good sampling of sound. > > > > Please help me....... > > Thanks and Regards, > > > > Jagdish. > > > > > > > AT572D740 will give you ARM7 + 1 GFlops Floating Point DSP in the same chip.
By the way, Ulf, what are the development tools for such devices? How to acquire them in the USA or, still better, in South America? Regards, JaaC
Reply by Ulf Samuelsson February 7, 20062006-02-07
"jagdish.dsp" <jagdish.dsp@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Dear Friends, > > In my design I need to develope a DSP algorithm on one DSP processor and > then to interface same with ARM which is handling all the peripherals. > > I am thinking if my DSP algorithm can be implemented on ARM or not...so > need you help. Right now I am using evaluation board of Texas DSK, so > taking the input from microphone is given to CODEC(A to D conversion) > whose sampling freq is 32KHz. > > I have to implement 8192 point FFT on real time sound data.... > And also want to implement Low pass FIR filter on Real time sound data > before doing FFT. So can this be implemented on ARM 9 platform?????? > while pareallaly I want to interface one modem, IR receiver,key board, and > external memory with ARM. If possible please let me know which will be the > best ARM9 based chip to implement the same. > > So is it possible to implement all this on ARM7 or ARM9 platform so with > one processor only I will have my solution. > What chip should I use for A/D conversion with good sampling of sound. > > Please help me....... > Thanks and Regards, > > Jagdish. > >
AT572D740 will give you ARM7 + 1 GFlops Floating Point DSP in the same chip. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may bot be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
Reply by Gene S. Berkowitz January 31, 20062006-01-31
In article <43DFD395.AE7D79C0@yahoo.com>, cbfalconer@yahoo.com says...
> Please include adequate context in your posts. This can be done > even from the broken google usenet interface. > > If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use the > broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show > options" at the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at > the bottom of the article headers. > > More details at: <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/> > Also see <http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/>
Gee CB, pretty contentless post there. If you're going to nag, at least make it on topic. Most of us use threaded newsreaders, and have no problem following the discussion. --Gene
Reply by Jaime Andres Aranguren Cardona January 31, 20062006-01-31
"CBFalconer" <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> jaac wrote: >> >> I strongly disagree with (some of) the other posters: >> >> - That processing won't need THAT much computational power as >> someone mentioned (1GHz+ ARM9). >> - Either case, DSPs are made for that sort of thing. >> >> But, what if you need control processing, besides number crunching? >> Here, a much more compact and flexible solution is desired. >> >> I strongly recommend you to have a look at Analog Devices' Blackfin >> family of processors. They have both computational (800+ MMACs) and >> control capabilities, as well as nice set of peripherals: SDRAM >> controller, USB, Ehternet, CAN, UARTs, Timers, RTC, core voltage >> regulators, PPI, etc. >> >> What you mention is exactly the kind of job that Blackfin was >> designed for! > > Please include adequate context in your posts. This can be done > even from the broken google usenet interface. > > If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use the > broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show > options" at the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at > the bottom of the article headers. > > More details at: <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/> > Also see <http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/>
Hello, Thanks for the reminder. I am the same poster (jaac). Getting used to google, I forgot that option. Will keep it in my mind for later posts. Regards, JaaC
Reply by CBFalconer January 31, 20062006-01-31
jaac wrote:
> > I strongly disagree with (some of) the other posters: > > - That processing won't need THAT much computational power as > someone mentioned (1GHz+ ARM9). > - Either case, DSPs are made for that sort of thing. > > But, what if you need control processing, besides number crunching? > Here, a much more compact and flexible solution is desired. > > I strongly recommend you to have a look at Analog Devices' Blackfin > family of processors. They have both computational (800+ MMACs) and > control capabilities, as well as nice set of peripherals: SDRAM > controller, USB, Ehternet, CAN, UARTs, Timers, RTC, core voltage > regulators, PPI, etc. > > What you mention is exactly the kind of job that Blackfin was > designed for!
Please include adequate context in your posts. This can be done even from the broken google usenet interface. If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options" at the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at the bottom of the article headers. More details at: <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/> Also see <http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/> -- "The power of the Executive to cast a man into prison without formulating any charge known to the law, and particularly to deny him the judgement of his peers, is in the highest degree odious and is the foundation of all totalitarian government whether Nazi or Communist." -- W. Churchill, Nov 21, 1943
Reply by jaac January 31, 20062006-01-31
Hello,

I strongly disagree with (some of) the other posters:

- That processing won't need THAT much computational power as someone
mentioned (1GHz+ ARM9).
- Either case, DSPs are made for that sort of thing.

But, what if you need control processing, besides number crunching?
Here, a much more compact and flexible solution is desired.

I strongly recommend you to have a look at Analog Devices' Blackfin
family of processors. They have both computational (800+ MMACs) and
control capabilities, as well as nice set of peripherals: SDRAM
controller, USB, Ehternet, CAN, UARTs, Timers, RTC, core voltage
regulators, PPI, etc.

What you mention is exactly the kind of job that Blackfin was designed
for!

Regards,

JaaC

Reply by Wilco Dijkstra January 30, 20062006-01-30
Without more detailed information it is reasonable to assume only one FFT would be needed for each set of 8192 samples, ie. only 3.9 needed per second. ARM7 goes up to 120Mhz, so it can handle around 50 complex 8192-point FFTs per second. In another post you wrote:
>You need over 1GHz ARM, preferrable with muti-media instructions.
The fastest ARM (Cortex-A8) is about as fast as the TMS320C64x (TI's fastest DSP). Exactly which audio codec needs _that_ much DSP power? Wilco
Reply by Dr Justice January 30, 20062006-01-30
"Wilco Dijkstra" <Wilco_dot_Dijkstra@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > "jagdish.dsp" <jagdish.dsp@gmail.com> wrote in message > news:uuSdnROkSq5X0UPeRVn-uQ@giganews.com... > > Dear Friends, > > > > In my design I need to develope a DSP algorithm on one DSP processor and > > then to interface same with ARM which is handling all the peripherals. > > > > I am thinking if my DSP algorithm can be implemented on ARM or not...so > > need you help. Right now I am using evaluation board of Texas DSK, so > > taking the input from microphone is given to CODEC(A to D conversion) > > whose sampling freq is 32KHz. > > > > I have to implement 8192 point FFT on real time sound data.... > > An ARM7 takes 2Mhz to perform a 8192 complex Q15 FFT. ARM9E is twice as > fast. > > > And also want to implement Low pass FIR filter on Real time sound data > > before doing FFT. So can this be implemented on ARM 9 platform?????? > > Your requirements add up to around 10Mhz on an ARM7. Unless power > consumption is key, no need for a DSP. > > Wilco
In support of Wilco Dijkstra argument: The FFT is O( n log2(n) ). As a quick estimate, at fs = 32KHz that's around 400.000 butterflies per second if no overlap is needed (please corect me if I'm wrong). That would not be a big problem to do on the ARM then. The OP does not detail the FIR requirements, but with some luck the system may allow the FIR to simply be a scaling of the FFT bins - in which case the FIR comes almost for free. DJ --
Reply by linnix January 30, 20062006-01-30
Wilco Dijkstra wrote:
> "jagdish.dsp" <jagdish.dsp@gmail.com> wrote in message > news:uuSdnROkSq5X0UPeRVn-uQ@giganews.com... > > Dear Friends, > > > > In my design I need to develope a DSP algorithm on one DSP processor and > > then to interface same with ARM which is handling all the peripherals. > > > > I am thinking if my DSP algorithm can be implemented on ARM or not...so > > need you help. Right now I am using evaluation board of Texas DSK, so > > taking the input from microphone is given to CODEC(A to D conversion) > > whose sampling freq is 32KHz. > > > > I have to implement 8192 point FFT on real time sound data.... > > An ARM7 takes 2Mhz to perform a 8192 complex Q15 FFT. ARM9E is twice as > fast.
That's for doing one per second, which is unlikely for any reasonable algorithm.
> > > And also want to implement Low pass FIR filter on Real time sound data > > before doing FFT. So can this be implemented on ARM 9 platform?????? > > Your requirements add up to around 10Mhz on an ARM7. Unless power > consumption is key, no need for a DSP.
DSPs are designed exactly for these things.