Reply by ScottM March 12, 20062006-03-12
In a perhaps vain attempt to recover this thread... I've more or less
(more less than more) settled on using a TS-5700 (PC-104 card, slow
pentium chip). Not the cheapest way to go, but I think I can get 4k
interrupts a second on it and get 6 channels of PWM out of it in
software (for dimmers), and that means no extra hardware, which for me
means no extra angst.

But the people over at www.embeddedarm.com are not answering my emails,
which admittedly are a little witless since I'm not very knowledgable
in this whole embedded world thing.

So maybe someone here will take pity on me. Anyone here with PC-104
experience want to help?

1. I want the aforementioned 4k interrupts/sec. My first thought was to
reprogram timer 2, but it's not tied to an IRQ. I thought of hacking
timer 0, but I'd like to keep the real time clock working, and that's a
hassle. Then I saw an example of reprogramming timer 1/IRQ 10. I
thought the world ended if you touched that timer;  can anyone comment
on if it's really safe to hack the timer and take over that interrupt?

2. I need 4 serial ports. Can they share IRQ 3 and 4? (I'm worried
about this because my fallback position is to tie timer 2 to IRQ6, both
of which are exposed pins on the board, and get my interrupts that way
- but then 6 isn't available for com ports).

3. I need TCP and UDP, some sizable I/O buffers, and my C++/assembled
code is already hitting 6000 lines. I'm wondering about code size.
What's the best choice of OS for flat memory model past, say, 640K of
memory, hookable interrupts, good support for TCP and so on? (It's been
decades since I looked at DOS, and when I knew it, it wasn't flat. That
part of my mind is mostly cobwebs.)

Thanks. I'm hoping this is the end of the naive questions.

Reply by David Brown February 26, 20062006-02-26
larwe wrote:
> Tim Wescott wrote: > >> Uh, check your history -- Shakespeare _was_ mass market in his time -- >> why do you think there's so much low comedy in everything he did, even >> his dramas? > > Mmm, it was a very bad example but the best I could think of. Can you > name an author that would be recognized by name but doesn't write stuff > people actually read? >
Umberto Eco? The film of "The Name of the Rose" was so popular that his next puplication, "Focult's Pendulum", became a best seller - but very few people have actually read it.
Reply by Hans-Bernhard Broeker February 25, 20062006-02-25
Tim Wescott <tim@seemywebsite.com> wrote:

> Dostoyevski (_you_ check the spelling).
... Obviously 100% incorrect, because not one of those letters you used is from the kyrillic alphabet ;-> And as far as the transliteration from Russian written in kyrillic letters to English in latins, it's not worth bothering about getting that correct. The Russian government has been known to change the official transliterations of their citizens' names more than once per decade. Yes, that means they get new names roughly every time they renew their passport. So don't bother too much: whichever spelling of Dostoyevski you use, it has a good chance of having been wrong for about half of the last 20 years, and will be incorrect again within the next 10. -- Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de) Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain.
Reply by Tim Wescott February 25, 20062006-02-25
cyberzl1@yahoo.com wrote:

>>Dostoyevski (_you_ check the spelling). I've read the first half of >>"The Brother's Karamotsov" twice, out of a feeling of duty (or >>snobbishness, I can't remember which). >> >>At one place I worked we called the regression test spec "War and >>Peace", even though no one had read the original -- not even those of us >>who started calling it that. > > > Hey! I've read both of those(and other works). I'm not if I should > take offense or not.
Don't -- I may have made it through the second time, and enjoyed it, except that about 1/3 of the way through I got impatient with the story not really starting up and skimmed over all the stupid character descriptions. 2/3 of the way through I realized that the 'stupid' character descriptions _were_ the story. I just didn't have the heart to try round 3 -- this was back when I was in high school. Maybe I should try again.
If I only got one letter wrong it would be a happy miracle. -- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/
Reply by cybe...@yahoo.com February 24, 20062006-02-24
> Dostoyevski (_you_ check the spelling). I've read the first half of > "The Brother's Karamotsov" twice, out of a feeling of duty (or > snobbishness, I can't remember which). > > At one place I worked we called the regression test spec "War and > Peace", even though no one had read the original -- not even those of us > who started calling it that.
Hey! I've read both of those(and other works). I'm not if I should take offense or not. I don't know why but I got on a kick of Russian classicals for awhile. I still like the style but have no where near the time to read such a tome anymore. :) Oh, and for whatever it's worth it's I have only seen it as Dostoyevsky. The trailing i seems more Polish, but I can't say which one is truly correct. JW
Reply by Tim Wescott February 24, 20062006-02-24
larwe wrote:

> Tim Wescott wrote: > > >>Uh, check your history -- Shakespeare _was_ mass market in his time -- >>why do you think there's so much low comedy in everything he did, even >>his dramas? > > > Mmm, it was a very bad example but the best I could think of. Can you > name an author that would be recognized by name but doesn't write stuff > people actually read? >
Dostoyevski (_you_ check the spelling). I've read the first half of "The Brother's Karamotsov" twice, out of a feeling of duty (or snobbishness, I can't remember which). At one place I worked we called the regression test spec "War and Peace", even though no one had read the original -- not even those of us who started calling it that. -- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/
Reply by Jonathan Kirwan February 24, 20062006-02-24
On 24 Feb 2006 13:09:17 -0800, "larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote:

>Tim Wescott wrote: > >> Uh, check your history -- Shakespeare _was_ mass market in his time -- >> why do you think there's so much low comedy in everything he did, even >> his dramas? > >Mmm, it was a very bad example but the best I could think of. Can you >name an author that would be recognized by name but doesn't write stuff >people actually read?
Hmm. What stands out from my literary experiences in taking 6-credit hr courses on the damned subject (forced by the university scholars program I was in) as fitting this is F. Scott Fitzgerald. No one sensibly reads him without being arm-twisted into it. The Great Gatsby is a classic -- an example of literature that hurts so much to read out of struggling to wonder why anyone considers it important literature, at all, that you will feel this incredible liberation when you are allowed to finally stop reading it. Jon
Reply by Richard Owlett February 24, 20062006-02-24
Tim Wescott wrote:
> larwe wrote: > >> Jonathan Kirwan wrote: >> >> >>>> My publisher is Elsevier, and they sell to anyone, anywhere, with money >>> >>> >>> Strange. Just the other day I just noted a comment by scientists who >>> refuse categorically to review for, submit to, or subscribe to >>> Elsevier owned publications -- unless and until they provide open >>> access to the scientific papers after 6 months. >> >> >> >> I don't think that changes my sentence above - Elsevier will _SELL_ to >> anyone with money, right? >> >> Scientific papers are a special case, I don't pretend to understand the >> politics of academia. If I was going to emulate someone in my writing >> career, it would be Dean Koontz (mass market), not Shakespeare (art). >> > -snip- > > Uh, check your history -- Shakespeare _was_ mass market in his time -- > why do you think there's so much low comedy in everything he did, even > his dramas? >
And some give impression that Chaucer was "prim and proper" ;)
Reply by larwe February 24, 20062006-02-24
Tim Wescott wrote:

> Uh, check your history -- Shakespeare _was_ mass market in his time -- > why do you think there's so much low comedy in everything he did, even > his dramas?
Mmm, it was a very bad example but the best I could think of. Can you name an author that would be recognized by name but doesn't write stuff people actually read?
Reply by Steve at fivetrees February 24, 20062006-02-24
"ScottM" <scott@mayo.name> wrote in message
> > As a software engineer, I'll put in a plug for OO languages. State > machines like that are a lot nicer when you have an OO language. Though > I personally DON'T like Java, because of the overhead it imposes, but > it did make the state management a lot simpler. I could have done it in > C, but the code would have been that much more obscure, and having > things to be trivial to modify (as I change gear) is very important to > me.
I prefer OO *design* and a neutral language. I routinely write OO in C, and much prefer it to C++, which to my mind is flawed (private elements in a public class definition? wtf?). I also have seen far too many C++ projects flounder due, IMO, to over-reliance on language features and not enough on design. I feel I can do a better job of implementing the spirit of OO in C (neutral, limited semantics) than I can in C++.
> Used with an eye > towards efficiency (ie, no STL, no misuse of new/delete, leave the > string classes alone, use well designed classes with a minimum of > virtual declarations), it produces better code than C compilers, > because C++ demands fully specified interface, so it can optimize more > intelligently than C.
In theory, I take your point. In practice, not so sure.
> Maybe that's not true in the embedded world - no idea how good the > tools are in this space.
They're getting better, for sure. It's far more common now to use C in embedded projects; years back we simply couldn't afford the overhead vs assembler. And it's not just that hardware resources (RAM etc) are cheaper - the venerable 8051 still sees a lot of use, and probably most 8051 code (I'm guessing) is written in C these days. It's not just the tools, though, it's the understanding (as you indicate) of what's actually going on under the hood. The main thing about embedded work is that It Must Not Fail At Runtime. This often means no heap, and a healthy distrust of runtime language features (garbage collection, late binding etc etc). There's a mindset involved in writing code such that it's robust *by design* and simply can't generate runtime errors - one can write bad code in any language. My experience has been that C++ does not per se promote good code - it tends to promote obfuscation due to confusion over whether "data hiding" means "lack of side effects" (as it should) or "where the **** is this member variable defined and used??" ;). My (strongly-held) view: the clearer the code, the more likely it'll be bug-free.
> Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of stupid C++ - but then I've seen C > which is absolutely obscene.
Yup ;).Fairly recently I had to maintain someone else's code. This guy was held in high respect - mainly, it seems, because no-one else could understand his code. His main() function had 1435 lines and 30-odd gotos. Good going, chap. (I scrapped it and started over.) Steve http://www.fivetrees.com