Reply by Daniel W February 28, 20062006-02-28
Hi Steven,

Steven Woody wrote:
> hi, > > i am using IAR Embedded Workbench for C, the target is M16C. i met > problems when setting heap/stack size in the project options. > > currently, the working setting is: stack = 1920, interrupt stack = > 128, data 16 heap = far heap size = data20 heap size = 1024. though > i've not yet well unstood what the above really mean, but it works. > > the problem is, it seems that i can not most of these values. for > example, if i change the data 16 heap from 1024 to 2048, i will get an > error: > > Error[e16]: Segment DATA16_Z (size: 0x59aa align: 0x1) is too long for > segment definition. At least 0x372 more bytes > needed. The problem occurred while processing the segment placement > command > "-Z(NEAR)DATA16_I,DATA16_Z,DATA16_N,DATA16_AN", where at the moment of > placement the available memory > ranges were "CODE:29c8-7fff" > Reserved ranges relevant to this placement: > 400-b7f CSTACK > b80-bff ISTACK > c00-13ff DATA16_HEAP > 1400-7fff DATA16_I
The linker lets you know that it cannot place the segment DATA16_Z as there is not enough space available in the defined RAM area.
> but i can successfully change the stack from 1920 to 2048.
Increasing the stack from 1920 to 2048 bytes only require 128 bytes whereas increasing the heap size from 1K to 2K requires a whole kilobyte of RAM. You probably only have about 136 bytes of free RAM (deduced by looking at the error message). The linker command file tries to describe your target system, i.e. where there is ROM and where there is RAM. You can verify which .xcl file that is used by checking in the options dialog under XLINK->Input. Make sure this file matches your actual hardware, perhaps you've added more external RAM? The message above indicates that the area 0x29C8 through 0x7FFF is used when placing __data16 variables.
> i heard the M16C gets more than 31k memory, so i feel the error is > confusing.
As I said, make sure that your .xcl file is properly reflecting your hardware.
> by the way, in the data mode option, if i disable ( uncheck ) the > 'Writable constants' check box, i will get another error: > > Fatal Error[e72]: Segment DATA16_C must be defined in a segment > definition option (-Z, -b or -P)
>
> what this mean? i believe enable the 'Writable constants' is not a good > solution.
The M16Cs usually do not have ROM in the lower part of the memory, this option is used to copy-initialize variables instead of placing them in __far memory. This generates much more efficient code at the cost of sarificing RAM to store constants. If you do not want this, then you must use a data model where the default pointer is a __far pointer. If you have any other questions, please feel free to direct them at IAR Systems Support. They are very good at what they do. Regards /D P.s. remove underscores from e-mail address if replying via e-mail.
Reply by Steven Woody February 27, 20062006-02-27
[...]

thanks.

-
woody