Reply by SioL March 13, 20062006-03-13
"larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1142208699.199247.134950@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com...

> I use the AVR family a great deal. No bootloader at all in any of my > AVR products (at the moment) - they are factory-programmed once over > JTAG or SPI. I'm going to add a bootloader to one of my devices in the > foreseeable future, but it will not use any kind of encryption, and it > will be loading the upgrade code off a removable flash media card.
Well, if you have products out there and you want to give users a chance to upgrade, you need some kind of load and protection mechanism. -- Siol ------------------------------------------------ Rather than a heartless beep Or a rude error message, See these simple words: "File not found."
Reply by larwe March 12, 20062006-03-12
SioL wrote:

> Is this group frequented by AVR users at all? I find it hard to believe that noone > uses the DES encrypted bootloader.
I use the AVR family a great deal. No bootloader at all in any of my AVR products (at the moment) - they are factory-programmed once over JTAG or SPI. I'm going to add a bootloader to one of my devices in the foreseeable future, but it will not use any kind of encryption, and it will be loading the upgrade code off a removable flash media card.
Reply by SioL March 12, 20062006-03-12
"SioL" <Sio_spam_L@same.net> wrote in message news:rBoQf.797$oj5.294698@news.siol.net...
> I've been using DES bootloader from atmel app note for a while. > > The problem is that occasionally my mega8 locks up. It will still accept > and complete upgrade, but the application will simply not run any more.
Is this group frequented by AVR users at all? I find it hard to believe that noone uses the DES encrypted bootloader. -- Siol ------------------------------------------------ Rather than a heartless beep Or a rude error message, See these simple words: "File not found."
Reply by SioL March 10, 20062006-03-10
I've been using DES bootloader from atmel app note for a while.

The problem is that occasionally my mega8 locks up. It will still accept
and complete upgrade, but the application will simply not run any more.

I have to re-program the boot loader to make it work again.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of behaviour?
Someone on avrfreaks hinted that there was a problem and linked to
a non-existing thread.

The fuses are setup so that no LPM/SPM is allowed in the boot
section.

Any clues?