Reply by Ulf Samuelsson December 13, 20042004-12-13

"Torbj&#4294967295;rn Heltne" <torbjorn.heltne@amelektronikk.no> skrev i meddelandet
> Meindert Sprang wrote: > > > Why not go for the ATmega162. It has two serial ports. > > I can do without the TWI but need a couple of A/D channels. > > -- > Torbj&#4294967295;rn Heltne
For a single UART, the ATmega48 is a better choice. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com This is a personal view which may or may not be share by my Employer Atmel Nordic AB
Reply by Spehro Pefhany November 27, 20042004-11-27
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 07:53:06 +0100, the renowned "Meindert Sprang"
<mhsprang@NOcustomSPAMware.nl> wrote:

>"Schwob" <schwobus@aol.com> wrote in message >news:123e50e1.0411261615.6b4dfa5c@posting.google.com... >> Hi, >> >> the LPC915 has UART, 4 ADC channels and 2K FLASH. It is much cheaper >> than ATmega of the PIC16 proposed and does not even need an oscillator >> (internal RC) > >Mmmm... I am alway very sceptic about internal oscillators in combination >with UARTS. What do others think? Good/bad experiences? > >Meindert
<shrug> It's rated at +/-2.5% over temperature (and +/-1% at room temperature). That sounds good enough to me if the divider granularity doesn't add too much additional error, especially if you're communicating with something that uses a crystal. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
Reply by Meindert Sprang November 27, 20042004-11-27
"Schwob" <schwobus@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hi, > > the LPC915 has UART, 4 ADC channels and 2K FLASH. It is much cheaper > than ATmega of the PIC16 proposed and does not even need an oscillator > (internal RC)
Mmmm... I am alway very sceptic about internal oscillators in combination with UARTS. What do others think? Good/bad experiences? Meindert
Reply by Schwob November 26, 20042004-11-26
Hi,

the LPC915 has UART, 4 ADC channels and 2K FLASH.  It is much cheaper
than ATmega of the PIC16 proposed and does not even need an oscillator
(internal RC)

Schwob

Torbj&#4294967295;rn Heltne <torbjorn.heltne@amelektronikk.no> wrote in message news:<41a21a6b$1@news.broadpark.no>...
> Meindert Sprang wrote: > > > Why not go for the ATmega162. It has two serial ports. > > I can do without the TWI but need a couple of A/D channels.
Reply by Paul Burke November 23, 20042004-11-23
Someone wrote:

>> Speed requirements are <= 38400, amount of data max 150cps in each >> direction. I have read some on a few bit-banged serial port >> implementations. Common for all of them were that they were half >> duplex only. I need full duplex. I guess it is absolutely possible to >> achieve that but I think I prefer a hardware solutiuon anyway. >
There are several simple UARTS available at opencores, and they should fit nicely into a couple of dollarsworth of PLD, say a Xilinx XCR3064 or a Lattice 1016. Paul Burke
Reply by Jim Granville November 22, 20042004-11-22
Torbj&#4294967295;rn Heltne wrote:
>> It would be useful if you could add a little more detail to your >> requirements such as speed. >> >> Depending on how busy your uC is, you could bit-bang the serial port >> if the data rate is not too high. We have done this on projects where >> space and cost were at an absolute premium. >> >> It was not clear why you can't use SPI, but if what you mean is you >> can't use SPI for the serial port, you might use a separate small >> micro that has both SPI and serial. You talk to the SPI port from >> your micro and it talks to the serial port. > > > Speed requirements are <= 38400, amount of data max 150cps in each > direction. I have read some on a few bit-banged serial port > implementations. Common for all of them were that they were half duplex > only. I need full duplex. I guess it is absolutely possible to achieve > that but I think I prefer a hardware solutiuon anyway.
The smallest Std UART with a narrow parallel BUS is the 2691 from Philips. Comes in 24 DIP and SO packages.
> I'm not too sure why I don't want to use the SPI-interface for asynch > SCI communication. You're more than welcome to give me reasons to do it > that way.
You may find that a small uC with SPI+UART, is cheaper/smaller than a small UART. Philips have tiny LPC91x series uC devices as small as 14 pins, with UART and SPI ports, so you can add as many Duplex UARTS as you want.... -jg
Reply by November 22, 20042004-11-22
Meindert Sprang wrote:

> Why not go for the ATmega162. It has two serial ports.
I can do without the TWI but need a couple of A/D channels. -- Torbj&#4294967295;rn Heltne
Reply by Meindert Sprang November 19, 20042004-11-19
> > I'm already aiming for a micro with built in serial, the ATmega16. I > need a second serial port.
Why not go for the ATmega162. It has two serial ports. Meindert
Reply by November 19, 20042004-11-19
> It would be useful if you could add a little more detail to your > requirements such as speed. > > Depending on how busy your uC is, you could bit-bang the serial port > if the data rate is not too high. We have done this on projects > where space and cost were at an absolute premium. > > It was not clear why you can't use SPI, but if what you mean is you > can't use SPI for the serial port, you might use a separate small > micro that has both SPI and serial. You talk to the SPI port from > your micro and it talks to the serial port.
Speed requirements are <= 38400, amount of data max 150cps in each direction. I have read some on a few bit-banged serial port implementations. Common for all of them were that they were half duplex only. I need full duplex. I guess it is absolutely possible to achieve that but I think I prefer a hardware solutiuon anyway. I'm not too sure why I don't want to use the SPI-interface for asynch SCI communication. You're more than welcome to give me reasons to do it that way.
> How about a micro with built-in serial. PIC16F628, or PIC16F870 both > have uarts.
I'm already aiming for a micro with built in serial, the ATmega16. I need a second serial port. -- Torbj&#4294967295;rn Heltne
Reply by Luhan Monat November 17, 20042004-11-17
Hi, How about a micro with built-in serial. PIC16F628, or PIC16F870 both have uarts. -- Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com http://members.cox.net/berniekm "The Future is not what it used to be..."