Reply by plusnet user March 29, 20062006-03-29
In sci.electronics.design Electric dabbler <no.spam@microsoft.com> wrote:
> > "Ian Stirling" <root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote in message > news:4425a3c5$0$3623$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net...
<snip>
>> Google 'point enabler'. >> It appears as a seperate device in IO space, like a second IDE >> controller. >> I have several laptops that will boot from PCMCIA devices. > > Its a Linear Flash card, this wont appear as an ATA device at all, rather a > block of memory. Often used to upgrade firmware in devices such as routers.
I know. I was just commenting on the other posters comment that it's not 'real' IDE over PCMCIA slots, for hard drives et al (for devices that support IDE)
Reply by Electric dabbler March 28, 20062006-03-28
"Ian Stirling" <root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> In sci.electronics.design linnix <me@linnix.info-for.us> wrote: >> >> Ian Stirling wrote: >>> In sci.electronics.design linnix <me@linnix.info-for.us> wrote: >>> > >>> > Ian Stirling wrote: >>> >> In sci.electronics.design linnix <me@linnix.info-for.us> wrote: >>> >> > >>> >> > Peter wrote: >>> >> >> Ian Stirling <root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote: >>> >> >> >>> >> >> >> I have a quantity of these and would like to be able to use >>> >> >> >> them. >>> >> >> >> >>> >> >> >> What I know is this: >>> >> >> >> >>> >> >> >> It is PCMCIA >>> >> >> > >>> >> >> >Plug it into a linux box. >>> >> >> >What does card services report on insertion. >>> >> >> >It may simply present a 'true ide' interface. >>> >> > >>> >> > Yes, it should have IDE mode, but you have to plug it in the IDE >>> >> > cable. >>> >> > The PCMCIA card interface does not enable IDE. >>> >> >>> >> It can. >>> <snip> >>> >> Once IDE mode is selected, it's not a PCMCIA device any more, until >>> >> reset. >>> > >>> > IDE devices specify the ports and registers as well, which are >>> > probably >>> > routed to the IDE cable, not to the PCMCIA device. >>> >>> Nope. >>> Once it's switched to IDE mode, it's electrically an IDE device. (until >>> reset), and is accessed as an IDE device. >>> No seperate cable. >> >> OK, first disable your IDE devices in your bios, so both signal drivers >> wouldn't be fighting with each other. Second, rewrite your bios to >> switch PCMCIA to IDE mode before initializating IDE. In case you >> can't rewrite your bios, then rewrite your operating system to switch >> the PCMCIA device before probing IDE. Most OS probe IDE very early and >> PCMCIA very late. In case you can't rewrite your OS, just get the IDE >> cable adapter. > > Google 'point enabler'. > It appears as a seperate device in IO space, like a second IDE > controller. > I have several laptops that will boot from PCMCIA devices.
Its a Linear Flash card, this wont appear as an ATA device at all, rather a block of memory. Often used to upgrade firmware in devices such as routers. Philip
Reply by plusnet user March 25, 20062006-03-25
In sci.electronics.design linnix <me@linnix.info-for.us> wrote:
> > Ian Stirling wrote: >> In sci.electronics.design linnix <me@linnix.info-for.us> wrote: >> > >> > Ian Stirling wrote: >> >> In sci.electronics.design linnix <me@linnix.info-for.us> wrote: >> >> > >> >> > Peter wrote: >> >> >> Ian Stirling <root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote: >> >> >> >> >> >> >> I have a quantity of these and would like to be able to use them. >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> What I know is this: >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> It is PCMCIA >> >> >> > >> >> >> >Plug it into a linux box. >> >> >> >What does card services report on insertion. >> >> >> >It may simply present a 'true ide' interface. >> >> > >> >> > Yes, it should have IDE mode, but you have to plug it in the IDE cable. >> >> > The PCMCIA card interface does not enable IDE. >> >> >> >> It can. >> <snip> >> >> Once IDE mode is selected, it's not a PCMCIA device any more, until >> >> reset. >> > >> > IDE devices specify the ports and registers as well, which are probably >> > routed to the IDE cable, not to the PCMCIA device. >> >> Nope. >> Once it's switched to IDE mode, it's electrically an IDE device. (until >> reset), and is accessed as an IDE device. >> No seperate cable. > > OK, first disable your IDE devices in your bios, so both signal drivers > wouldn't be fighting with each other. Second, rewrite your bios to > switch PCMCIA to IDE mode before initializating IDE. In case you > can't rewrite your bios, then rewrite your operating system to switch > the PCMCIA device before probing IDE. Most OS probe IDE very early and > PCMCIA very late. In case you can't rewrite your OS, just get the IDE > cable adapter.
Google 'point enabler'. It appears as a seperate device in IO space, like a second IDE controller. I have several laptops that will boot from PCMCIA devices.
Reply by linnix March 25, 20062006-03-25
Ian Stirling wrote:
> In sci.electronics.design linnix <me@linnix.info-for.us> wrote: > > > > Peter wrote: > >> Ian Stirling <root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote: > >> > >> >> I have a quantity of these and would like to be able to use them. > >> >> > >> >> What I know is this: > >> >> > >> >> It is PCMCIA > >> > > >> >Plug it into a linux box. > >> >What does card services report on insertion. > >> >It may simply present a 'true ide' interface. > > > > Yes, it should have IDE mode, but you have to plug it in the IDE cable. > > The PCMCIA card interface does not enable IDE. > > It can. > > IIRC. > IDE mode is an option for PCMCIA cards. > It can either be pin-strapped to select it, or it can be selected through > the PCMCIA interface. > Once IDE mode is selected, it's not a PCMCIA device any more, until > reset.
IDE devices specify the ports and registers as well, which are probably routed to the IDE cable, not to the PCMCIA device.
> > Not all PCMCIA memory cards present an IDE interface.
Reply by plusnet user March 24, 20062006-03-24
In sci.electronics.design linnix <me@linnix.info-for.us> wrote:
> > Peter wrote: >> Ian Stirling <root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote: >> >> >> I have a quantity of these and would like to be able to use them. >> >> >> >> What I know is this: >> >> >> >> It is PCMCIA >> > >> >Plug it into a linux box. >> >What does card services report on insertion. >> >It may simply present a 'true ide' interface. > > Yes, it should have IDE mode, but you have to plug it in the IDE cable. > The PCMCIA card interface does not enable IDE.
It can. IIRC. IDE mode is an option for PCMCIA cards. It can either be pin-strapped to select it, or it can be selected through the PCMCIA interface. Once IDE mode is selected, it's not a PCMCIA device any more, until reset. Not all PCMCIA memory cards present an IDE interface.
Reply by linnix March 24, 20062006-03-24
Peter wrote:
> Ian Stirling <root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote: > > >> I have a quantity of these and would like to be able to use them. > >> > >> What I know is this: > >> > >> It is PCMCIA > > > >Plug it into a linux box. > >What does card services report on insertion. > >It may simply present a 'true ide' interface.
Yes, it should have IDE mode, but you have to plug it in the IDE cable. The PCMCIA card interface does not enable IDE. You have to plug in the middle 50 pins (out of 66) in an IDE-CF converter. Of course, you have to remove the adapter bracket to do so. See: http://cfd.linnix.com for the IDE-CF converter.
In sci.electronics.design Peter <z180@nospam24.com> wrote:
> > Ian Stirling <root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote: > >>> I have a quantity of these and would like to be able to use them. >>> >>> What I know is this: >>> >>> It is PCMCIA >> >>Plug it into a linux box. >>What does card services report on insertion. >>It may simply present a 'true ide' interface. > > How would one proceed to make a byte for byte copy of one of these > flash cartridges, for example?
I would put it in my laptop, and follow the instructions given in the PCMCIA-HOWTO for linux, which gives details of how to do that. I have absolutely no clue how you'd approach it under windows.
Reply by Peter March 24, 20062006-03-24