Reply by Steve at fivetrees March 30, 20062006-03-30
"Jim Granville" <no.spam@designtools.co.nz> wrote in message
> test wrote: >> I want to get a small pc104 powerpc board but most have no video or if >> they do it is in the form of a lcd output. So how am i suppose to output >> the video to a crt screen. I have a special screen that is to my specs >> and i am forced to use it. It is a vga 640X480 60hz 16color screen and i >> just want to output some text from a small embedded board. >> So any suggestions like using a serial to vga adapter to output the text? >> So if you know of any adapters please email back. > > Sounds like an ideal fit for our Vga-232 module :) > > http://www.designtools.co.nz/vga_232.htm > > Supports scaled Text, and uses a simple string interface, outputs > 640x480 16 colours.
Boy, this brings back memories. Especially when I visited the site and saw (e)ANSI. I've worked for a couple of public display companies (airports, public transport etc) where this kind of gizmo was fairly common. Somewhere on this drive I have antique code (wot I writ) for a script language (wot I devised) for driving them... Bah. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be. ;) Steve PS: this led me on a bit of a hunt which yielded this, from the early days of GPS: http://www.sfdesign.co.uk/docs/ee-gps-hanover.pdf The last page has a dodgy picture of me. You have been warned. (Hint: I'm the bald-yet-still-hairy primate on the left.) http://www.fivetrees.com
Reply by Jim Granville March 30, 20062006-03-30
test wrote:
> I want to get a small pc104 powerpc board but most have no video or if > they do it is in the form of a lcd output. So how am i suppose to output > the video to a crt screen. I have a special screen that is to my specs > and i am forced to use it. It is a vga 640X480 60hz 16color screen and i > just want to output some text from a small embedded board. > So any suggestions like using a serial to vga adapter to output the > text? So if you know of any adapters please email back.
Sounds like an ideal fit for our Vga-232 module :) http://www.designtools.co.nz/vga_232.htm Supports scaled Text, and uses a simple string interface, outputs 640x480 16 colours. -jg
Reply by Mike Harrison March 30, 20062006-03-30
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:09:07 GMT, test <darwalost@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I want to get a small pc104 powerpc board but most have no video or if >they do it is in the form of a lcd output. So how am i suppose to output >the video to a crt screen. I have a special screen that is to my specs >and i am forced to use it. It is a vga 640X480 60hz 16color screen and i >just want to output some text from a small embedded board. >So any suggestions like using a serial to vga adapter to output the >text? So if you know of any adapters please email back. >Chris White
http://www.designtools.co.nz/vga_232.htm http://www.dontronics.com/micro-vga.html
Reply by Paul Keinanen March 30, 20062006-03-30
wrote:

>I want to get a small pc104 powerpc board but most have no video or if >they do it is in the form of a lcd output. So how am i suppose to output >the video to a crt screen. I have a special screen that is to my specs >and i am forced to use it. It is a vga 640X480 60hz 16color screen and i >just want to output some text from a small embedded board. >So any suggestions like using a serial to vga adapter to output the >text? So if you know of any adapters please email back. >Chris White
Just add a VGA PC/104 card to the PC/104 stack. Paul
Reply by larwe March 30, 20062006-03-30
test wrote:
> I want to get a small pc104 powerpc board but most have no video or if > they do it is in the form of a lcd output. So how am i suppose to output
Why does it have to be PowerPC?
Reply by test March 30, 20062006-03-30