Reply by Ark April 9, 20062006-04-09
Al Borowski wrote:
> Hi, > > For my final year university project I'm looking at using an ARM > microcontroller. I'm leaning towards the Philips LPC2136/2138 at the > moment. While I've used PICs and AVRs I don't have any experience > designing in more advanced uCs like these. As I'm on a budget I'll > stick with the GNU tools and make my own development board. > > Are there any tricks or tips when using WinARM with this chip? Better > yet, is there a dead simple 'hello world' example somewhere on the web > with a pre-written crt0.s? The winARM examples don't seem to include a > simple 'blink a LED' program for that chip. > > As for programming: Is it really as simple as using an RS232 level > translator on the USART, grounding P0.14, and using the built-in > bootloader with the Philips software? This just seems too easy to me. > I'm used to configuring fuses to adjust oscillator settings etc. > > Does the bootloader reside in Flash, or does it have its own dedicated > memory space? > > Actually, does anyone have any good tutorials for using GCC with these > chips? > > Thanks, > > Al Borowski >
From my experience, IAR makes a *very* decent compiler, and reasonable accompanying tools, including boot code. Their "kickstart" edition of EWARM 4.31A is free (up to 32K C/C++/EC++ + unlimited assembler size) Take a look at www.iar.com Regards, Ark
Reply by Alex Gibson April 9, 20062006-04-09
"Al Borowski" <al.borowski@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, > > For my final year university project I'm looking at using an ARM > microcontroller. I'm leaning towards the Philips LPC2136/2138 at the > moment. While I've used PICs and AVRs I don't have any experience > designing in more advanced uCs like these. As I'm on a budget I'll > stick with the GNU tools and make my own development board. > > Are there any tricks or tips when using WinARM with this chip? Better > yet, is there a dead simple 'hello world' example somewhere on the web > with a pre-written crt0.s? The winARM examples don't seem to include a > simple 'blink a LED' program for that chip. > > As for programming: Is it really as simple as using an RS232 level > translator on the USART, grounding P0.14, and using the built-in > bootloader with the Philips software? This just seems too easy to me. > I'm used to configuring fuses to adjust oscillator settings etc. > > Does the bootloader reside in Flash, or does it have its own dedicated > memory space? > > Actually, does anyone have any good tutorials for using GCC with these > chips? > > Thanks, > > Al Borowski
Arm tools http://www.gnuarm.com/ Jim Lynch's tutorial Arm cross development with Eclipse a copy is hosted at http://gnuarm.alexthegeek.com download approx 190MB also at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CNY1Y6DX (watch out for pop ups) Recommend joining the lpc2000 yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lpc2000/ Building your own board will probably cost more than buying one off the shelf. There are a few pretty cheap development boards http://www.futurlec.com/ET-ARM_Stamp_Board.shtml http://www.futurlec.com/ET-ARM_Stamp.shtml Sparkfun.com have a range of arm7 boards (made by olimex) see - lpc , Sam7 , Oki , ST ,TMS , AuDC categories of development boards. http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/categories.php http://microcontrollershop.com/default.php?cPath=154&osCsid=244f278019fa69979e3313752af4a4a6 http://www.micromint.com/promo/index.htm#bolt http://www.micromint.com/products/bolt.htm#BoltDev Also the gumstix boards www.gumstix.com Alex
Reply by Goran Nordstrom April 8, 20062006-04-08
Hi Al.

Take a peek at www.embeddedartists.com they have a few very cheap
and easy to use boards with LPC21xx and they come with a simple
development utility as well. I have used the LPC2132 to enhance my
knowledge about ethernet-TCP/IP programming.

Regards /Goran
http://www.ipbolaget.com/users/ce02018/

"Al Borowski" <al.borowski@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi, > > For my final year university project I'm looking at using an ARM > microcontroller. I'm leaning towards the Philips LPC2136/2138 at the > moment. While I've used PICs and AVRs I don't have any experience > designing in more advanced uCs like these. As I'm on a budget I'll > stick with the GNU tools and make my own development board. > > Are there any tricks or tips when using WinARM with this chip? Better > yet, is there a dead simple 'hello world' example somewhere on the web > with a pre-written crt0.s? The winARM examples don't seem to include a > simple 'blink a LED' program for that chip. > > As for programming: Is it really as simple as using an RS232 level > translator on the USART, grounding P0.14, and using the built-in > bootloader with the Philips software? This just seems too easy to me. > I'm used to configuring fuses to adjust oscillator settings etc. > > Does the bootloader reside in Flash, or does it have its own dedicated > memory space? > > Actually, does anyone have any good tutorials for using GCC with these > chips? > > Thanks, > > Al Borowski >
Reply by Al Borowski April 8, 20062006-04-08