Reply by Dave April 28, 20062006-04-28
On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 10:22:36 -0700, larwe wrote:

> > larwe wrote: > > If I was writing the universal book, it would be a torrid tale of lust, > swashbuckling adventure, religious serenity, murder, vampirism, fervid > calmness, death, resurrection and a journey of self-discovery, with > overtones of conspiracy theory and a good solid scientific basis.
That's fine. Just make sure it fits into a Spartan-3E Starter Board. Hmmmm, where is that VHDL module for vampirism ... ~Dave~
Reply by larwe April 28, 20062006-04-28
larwe wrote:

> I'm working on the idea/presentation for my next book. It relates to
I now have my five sacrificial victims^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hesteemed reviewers, thank you. So while I appreciate any feedback and suggestions, the "vacancies" for paid reviewers are filled. I'd just like to point out that I do not reasonably anticipate every man, woman and child on the planet to purchase this book. I don't expect everyone to /like/ this book, in fact. If I was writing the universal book, it would be a torrid tale of lust, swashbuckling adventure, religious serenity, murder, vampirism, fervid calmness, death, resurrection and a journey of self-discovery, with overtones of conspiracy theory and a good solid scientific basis. That would get me on the Oprah Winfrey show fersure. Pity I can't stand the woman.
Reply by Isaac Bosompem April 28, 20062006-04-28
larwe wrote:
> Isaac Bosompem wrote: > > > I think this is a great idea! I will be working soon (and will be > > getting cash) so I will be looking out for your other book! > > Good! Did you find that internship, or what?
Not really, just a general summer job. I will be applying for a work term after this coming year :).
> > > The tile engines I am sure can be done in VHDL without too much > > overhead. Also the YM synthesizers can be done too, YM chips really are > > just a bunch of LUT's and weighted summers. > > Some of Taito's systems from the early 90s achieved AMAZING effects > with those Yamaha chips. Really incredible stuff. Look at Crime City, > for example.
Hey that game is pretty fun! I like those side scroller beat em ups :). Taito is definitely one of the names that ring a bell. I to this day am still very impressed with the sound of FM synthesizers. The Genesis was nothing spectacular since the FM chip it used was I think a low cost version, but the arcade ones simply blow me away. I find some of SNK and their NeoGeo games to also have good soundtracks that are a very good mix of FM/DAC.

larwe wrote:
> Hello all, > > I'm working on the idea/presentation for my next book. It relates to > retrogaming from an embedded developer's standpoint (not an emulation > book, but more along the lines of "this is how you could develop a > modern version of the 2D tile-based graphics ASIC in XYZ old arcade > machine", and "this is how you can simulate a YM2159 synthesizer in > VHDL"). I feel many of these circuits have modern applications beyond > gaming. I will include /some/ historical material in the book, but it's > mostly concentrated on applications. > > The book will be based around the Xilinx ML403 EDK [I haven't yet > decided fersure which CPU core I will be using but in order to exploit > synergies with other work I'm doing it is likely to be PowerPC]. Very > strong C and digital design skills are presumed. This is assuredly not > a novice-level book; it is intermediate to advanced material. > > I'm looking for five people (only) to review my outline and make > suggestions, particularly of additional pieces of arcade, console or > home computer hardware I can implement in VHDL or C. There is a small > gift certificate in it for you if you participate (your choice of > amazon.com or cabelas.com). > > During the official submission process, I also have to provide at least > two reviewer contacts to my publisher. I will be selecting those two > reviewers from the pool of five people gathered in my first-round > review. My publisher typically pays a cash honorarium of ~$80 or twice > that amount in books. > > If you're interested, please contact me via email. > > Muchos gracias.
Hi Larwe, I think this is a great idea! I will be working soon (and will be getting cash) so I will be looking out for your other book! I have always loved video games ever since I was a child (particularly my firs tsystem being a Sega Genesis). Video games was what got me interested in digital electronics, particularly microprocessors. The tile engines I am sure can be done in VHDL without too much overhead. Also the YM synthesizers can be done too, YM chips really are just a bunch of LUT's and weighted summers. -Isaac
Steve Muccione wrote:

> so you're going to go into detailed design of a blitter and sprite > generator?
I wasn't actually going to put a blitter in there, I was focused more on tile-based graphics (i.e. no need to blit memory around - because the only mem that actually changes is a kilobyte or two of tiles).
> Are you trying to create a vhdl library for reuse?
To a certain degree it's a cookbook. The point is to capture interesting techniques that were used back in the 80s and 90s.
Reply by Steve Muccione April 28, 20062006-04-28
???

so you're going to go into detailed design of a blitter and sprite
generator?

I would think that anyone with the hw available to play with this would
already be able to throw together their own blitters.

Dave wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 19:03:48 -0700, larwe wrote:
> > The book will be based around the Xilinx ML403 EDK [I haven't yet > > That EDK is what, $900-$1000 USD? I don't picture many individuals > of intermediate to advanced skill levels shelling out that much just to
It's just under $1k retail. Assume that you already have suitable hardware, though. The idea is to lift segments out of the book for your own evil purposes. I'm using the ML403 because I like it and I got it "free".
Reply by April 28, 20062006-04-28

"larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> escribi&#4294967295; en el mensaje
> > The ML403 EDK is < $1,000. While not cheap, it's not prohibitive > either. I did say this wasn't an introductory-level book... :) >
Interesting subject. Please, make sure the whole thing can be programmed with the Webpack, or some other free package. I don't think hobbyists, and students are willing to pay an anual subscription for a full ISE in addition to the development board. Best regards Josep Dur&#4294967295;n * It is Much_a_s Gracias unless you want to refer to Terminator or David Beckam or ... ;-)
Reply by Dave April 28, 20062006-04-28
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 19:03:48 -0700, larwe wrote:

> The book will be based around the Xilinx ML403 EDK [I haven't yet > decided fersure which CPU core I will be using but in order to exploit > synergies with other work I'm doing it is likely to be PowerPC]. Very > strong C and digital design skills are presumed. This is assuredly not > a novice-level book; it is intermediate to advanced material.
That EDK is what, $900-$1000 USD? I don't picture many individuals of intermediate to advanced skill levels shelling out that much just to recreate old games. And I don't see people who want to recreate old games shelling out that much. Good luck! ~Dave~