Reply by Bryan Hackney August 3, 20062006-08-03
Matthias wrote:
> Frank-Christian Kruegel wrote: > > > On 26 Jul 2006 23:56:35 -0700, "Matthias" <news@ingbh.de> wrote: > > >The iButtons seem to be very close to our requirements, but > > >unfortunately they have a case that does not allow soldering them on > > >the PCB. One could consider a kind of socket, but I do not think that > > >is the way we will choose. > > > > All iButtons are also available as chips. Look at: > > > > DS28E01-100 http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/4766 > > DS2432 http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/2914 > > That's an even better pointer, thanks! This seems to be what I was > looking for. > > If there are still other options I would like to know, though, to be > able to compare prices and capabilities. >
>From this point, thank you very much, do your own research,
you lazy asshole. You lazy f**king asshole. What a jerk!
> Thanks, > Matthias
Reply by Matthias August 1, 20062006-08-01
Hans-Bernhard Broeker wrote:

> Matthias <news@ingbh.de> wrote: > > > in our design we would like to replace a smartcard by a kind of > > security chip or security module. The chip has to provide: > > > - unique ID / serial number > > - secure key management > > This begs one question, and suggests one answer. > > The question is: why on earth would you want to do that?
To do what: Replacing the smart card or requesting those features? ;-) The answer to the first one is mainly "reducing total costs" (before there is another question: to elaborate this I would have to go into details I do not want to disclose here). To answer the second one, I recommend the maxim application note 3675 (http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/3675) where the basic concept is described.
> The answer is: you seem to be looking for a TPM. That's exactly the > kind of chip you're after, and it's in the process of becoming a > standard part on PC mainboards.
No. If a TPM was the most cost-efficient and easy-to-implement solution for our requirements, then I would consider using a TPM. But as it seems, that is not the case... Regards, Matthias
Reply by Hans-Bernhard Broeker July 28, 20062006-07-28
Matthias <news@ingbh.de> wrote:

> in our design we would like to replace a smartcard by a kind of > security chip or security module. The chip has to provide:
> - unique ID / serial number > - secure key management
This begs one question, and suggests one answer. The question is: why on earth would you want to do that? The answer is: you seem to be looking for a TPM. That's exactly the kind of chip you're after, and it's in the process of becoming a standard part on PC mainboards. -- Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de) Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain.
Reply by Matthias July 28, 20062006-07-28
Frank-Christian Kruegel wrote:

> On 26 Jul 2006 23:56:35 -0700, "Matthias" <news@ingbh.de> wrote: > >The iButtons seem to be very close to our requirements, but > >unfortunately they have a case that does not allow soldering them on > >the PCB. One could consider a kind of socket, but I do not think that > >is the way we will choose. > > All iButtons are also available as chips. Look at: > > DS28E01-100 http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/4766 > DS2432 http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/2914
That's an even better pointer, thanks! This seems to be what I was looking for. If there are still other options I would like to know, though, to be able to compare prices and capabilities. Thanks, Matthias
Reply by Frank-Christian Kruegel July 27, 20062006-07-27
On 26 Jul 2006 23:56:35 -0700, "Matthias" <news@ingbh.de> wrote:

>> > Would an iButton be any use? >> > http://www.maxim-ic.com/products/ibutton/products/ibuttons.cfm#secure >[...] >> >> Maxim makes a wide ranging line of the type of products you appear to >> want. > >Thanks, that was a good pointer. > >The iButtons seem to be very close to our requirements, but >unfortunately they have a case that does not allow soldering them on >the PCB. One could consider a kind of socket, but I do not think that >is the way we will choose.
All iButtons are also available as chips. Look at: DS28E01-100 http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/4766 DS2432 http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/2914 Mit freundlichen Gr&#4294967295;&#4294967295;en Frank-Christian Kr&#4294967295;gel
Reply by FreeRTOS.org July 27, 20062006-07-27
> The iButtons seem to be very close to our requirements, but > unfortunately they have a case that does not allow soldering them on > the PCB. One could consider a kind of socket, but I do not think that > is the way we will choose.
There are sockets available: http://www.maxim-ic.com/products/ibutton/products/mounts.cfm but as you say you cannot solder them directly. Regards, Richard. http://www.FreeRTOS.org for Cortex-M3, ARM7, ARM9, HCS12, H8S, MSP430 Microblaze, Coldfire, AVR, x86, 8051 & PIC18 * * * *
Reply by bis July 27, 20062006-07-27
> >PeteS wrote: > >> FreeRTOS.org wrote: >> > > in our design we would like to replace a smartcard by a kind of >> > > security chip or security module. The chip has to provide: >[...] >> > >> > Would an iButton be any use? >> >
http://www.maxim-ic.com/products/ibutton/products/ibuttons.cfm#secure
>[...] >> >> Maxim makes a wide ranging line of the type of products you appear to >> want. > >Thanks, that was a good pointer. > >The iButtons seem to be very close to our requirements, but >unfortunately they have a case that does not allow soldering them on >the PCB. One could consider a kind of socket, but I do not think that >is the way we will choose. > >The other secure micros (DS5250 etc) would be fine if they had a fixed >unique ID. > >So the search continues... > >Thanks, >Matthias > >
Infineoh have chips exactly like you want: Trrusted Platform Module http://www.infineon.com/cgi-bin/ifx/portal/ep/channelView.do?channelId=-84648&channelPage=%2Fep%2Fchannel%2FproductOverview.jsp&pageTypeId=17099 Atmel have the same type of devices. regards bis
Reply by Matthias July 27, 20062006-07-27
PeteS wrote:

> FreeRTOS.org wrote: > > > in our design we would like to replace a smartcard by a kind of > > > security chip or security module. The chip has to provide:
[...]
> > Maxim makes a wide ranging line of the type of products you appear to > want.
Thanks, that was a good pointer. The iButtons seem to be very close to our requirements, but unfortunately they have a case that does not allow soldering them on the PCB. One could consider a kind of socket, but I do not think that is the way we will choose. The other secure micros (DS5250 etc) would be fine if they had a fixed unique ID. So the search continues... Thanks, Matthias
Reply by larwe July 26, 20062006-07-26
linnix wrote:

> A secured micro can easily satisfy your requirements.
A SECURE micro is not the same thing as a SECURED micro. Unless the part is specifically designed for secure storage, you can't say it's going to satisfy requirements.
> The best security is not to publize the implementations; therefore, you > will find very little information on the best.
The best security is one where complete publication of implementation details took place some time ago, and nobody has detected significant security holes.
Reply by PeteS July 26, 20062006-07-26
FreeRTOS.org wrote:
> [...]
Maxim makes a wide ranging line of the type of products you appear to want. The only issue I have with Maxim is - it's Maxim. They still kill me on lead times and delivery. Cheers PeteS