Reply by August 2, 20062006-08-02
On Tuesday, in article <12cuq5lk579j959@corp.supernews.com>
     grante@visi.com "Grant Edwards" wrote:

>On 2006-08-01, Paul Carpenter <paul$@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk> wrote: > >>>Even worse than the processor name is that they ditched >>>venerable Motorola name for "Freescale" which I thought was >>>some sort of Cocaine/ether combination that blew up in Richard >>>Prior's face and burned him severely. Not really the sort of >>>association you want popping into people's heads, but they >>>didn't ask me. >> >> Motorola confused things further with >> >> Micros et al -> Freescale >> >> Diodes, FETs..... -> ON Semi > >I didn't know that's who ON Semi was! > >Brilliant move, that.
My thoughts completely, boardroom personal share profits probably motivated things more.
>> Some Branding/Marketing/Management consultants made a fortune. > >I can see why some names would need changing (e.g. "Bush"), but >why throw out decades of _good_ brand recognition?
We have seen similar in UK with various 're-brandings' of British Telecom and British Airways (dare I mention tailfin logos).
>>>The next thing you know, HP is going to call their test >>>equipment division something stupid. >> >> So they could concentrate on low margin PCs and silly >> printers, personally the PC/printers division should have spun >> off to a silly name like all the other PC makers names. > >I guess the Wall Street types must think PCs are sexier than >test equipment.
Considering also the semiconductor/opto division was split off in the same split it was stupid. More likely that the board and Wall Street types think they understand what PCs are but do not understand test equipment, LEDs, displays etc.. This all happened when a new CEO/President took charge of HP. -- Paul Carpenter | paul@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk <http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/> PC Services <http://www.gnuh8.org.uk/> GNU H8 & mailing list info <http://www.badweb.org.uk/> For those web sites you hate
Reply by Me August 1, 20062006-08-01
larwe wrote:
> Sure, here is the index. Please note these page numbers are not > accurate, since this was cut and pasted from my draft manuscript. > > Table of Contents
<snip detail> Thank you very much for all the information Best Regards
Reply by Grant Edwards August 1, 20062006-08-01
On 2006-08-01, Paul Carpenter <paul$@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk> wrote:

>>Even worse than the processor name is that they ditched >>venerable Motorola name for "Freescale" which I thought was >>some sort of Cocaine/ether combination that blew up in Richard >>Prior's face and burned him severely. Not really the sort of >>association you want popping into people's heads, but they >>didn't ask me. > > Motorola confused things further with > > Micros et al -> Freescale > > Diodes, FETs..... -> ON Semi
I didn't know that's who ON Semi was! Brilliant move, that.
> Some Branding/Marketing/Management consultants made a fortune.
I can see why some names would need changing (e.g. "Bush"), but why throw out decades of _good_ brand recognition?
>>The next thing you know, HP is going to call their test >>equipment division something stupid. > > So they could concentrate on low margin PCs and silly > printers, personally the PC/printers division should have spun > off to a silly name like all the other PC makers names.
I guess the Wall Street types must think PCs are sexier than test equipment. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! It's the land of at DONNY AND MARIE as promised visi.com in TV GUIDE!
Reply by John F August 1, 20062006-08-01
Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2006-08-01, John F <spam@127.0.0.1> wrote: > >>> Yes, I know HP did in fact spin that division off in an attempt >>> to distance themselves from a hard-won reputation as one of the >>> premier test gear manufactureres, but I can't for the life of >>> me remember what they called the cast off division. >> >> Agilent? > > Yea, it came to me just after I posted this.
I had to think for a few seconds too.
> I honestly > couldn't think of it even though I had to stop in the middle of > the posting and take the penne off the stove.
Yummie! -- Johannes You can have it: Quick, Accurate, Inexpensive. Pick two.
Reply by August 1, 20062006-08-01
On Tuesday, in article <12ct6fo8d00l2cf@corp.supernews.com>
     grante@visi.com "Grant Edwards" wrote:

>On 2006-07-31, Me <an0011@gmail.com> wrote: >> Dear Mr. Edwards, >> >> Thank you very much for your answer >> >> Grant Edwards wrote: >>> On 2006 >>> MSP430 for stuff that fits in 64K, ARM for bigger programs is >>> probably a good starting point. There are still plenty of >>> people using 8051, 6812, and 68xxx (now called >>> "colddragonfireball" or something equally inane). >> >> hahahaha :-) > >Even worse than the processor name is that they ditched >venerable Motorola name for "Freescale" which I thought was >some sort of Cocaine/ether combination that blew up in Richard >Prior's face and burned him severely. Not really the sort of >association you want popping into people's heads, but they >didn't ask me.
Motorola confused things further with Micros et al -> Freescale Diodes, FETs..... -> ON Semi Some Branding/Marketing/Management consultants made a fortune.
>The next thing you know, HP is going to call their test >equipment division something stupid.
So they could concentrate on low margin PCs and silly printers, personally the PC/printers division should have spun off to a silly name like all the other PC makers names. -- Paul Carpenter | paul@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk <http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/> PC Services <http://www.gnuh8.org.uk/> GNU H8 & mailing list info <http://www.badweb.org.uk/> For those web sites you hate
Reply by Tom Lucas August 1, 20062006-08-01
"Grant Edwards" <grante@visi.com> wrote in message

> I had to stop in the middle of > the posting and take the penne off the stove.
In case it leaked ink?
"larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Table of Contents
<snip detail> That looks to cover just about everything. I'd better put it on my birthday list!
Reply by larwe July 31, 20062006-07-31
Me wrote:

> > Although it is not 100% aligned with your requirements, self-interest > > demands that I recommend you to my latest book, which includes a large > > Could you please extend on why is your book not 100% aligned with my > requirements?
I'm in poor condition tonight to answer that question - having had about an hour's sleep in the past three days :) Let me think about that and maybe I will remember why I said it.
> I'm interested buying your book, could you please give me more > information, e.g. content index, on Amazon unfortunatelly it is not
Sure, here is the index. Please note these page numbers are not accurate, since this was cut and pasted from my draft manuscript. Table of Contents 1. Introduction 4 1-1 About This Book 4 1-2 What is an Embedded Engineer? 6 2. Education 8 2-1 Traditional Education Paths into Embedded Engineering 8 2-2 Getting In Without Traditional Education (and Acquiring it Thereafter) 14 2-3 I Write Software - How Much Electronics Must I Learn? 28 2-4 Educational Traps, Dead-Ends and Scams to Avoid 32 2-5 Practical Skills You'll Want To Acquire 37 3. Teaching Yourself, Bottom-Up (Small Embedded Systems) 42 3-1 Target Audience 42 3-2 Intel (et al) 8051 Variants 46 3-3 Atmel AVR 58 3-4 Texas Instruments MSP430 68 3-5 Microchip PICmicro 78 3-6 Less Common Architectures for Special Needs 86 3-7 What Programming Languages Should I Learn? C++ vs. C vs. Assembly Language in Small Embedded Systems 91 3-8 Brief Ravings on Copy-Protected Development Tools 97 3-9 An Example 8-Bit Project using AVR and Free Tools 101 4. Teaching Yourself, Top-Down (Large Embedded Systems) 136 4-1 Target Audience 136 4-2 Embedded x86 Solutions 138 4-3 ARM 151 4-4 PowerPC 165 4-5 Linux 169 4-6 eCos 180 4-7 What Programming Languages Should I Learn for Large Embedded Systems? 183 4-8 A Final Word on Part Selection 185 5. Working For Yourself as an Embedded Engineer 190 5-1 Is Self-Employment for You? Risks and Benefits 190 5-2 From Moonlighting to Fulltime Consultant Status - Bookkeeping, Taxes and Workload 192 5-3 Ways to Find and Keep Customers 200 5-4 Iterative Projects: Never-Ending Horror? 205 5-5 Pricing Your Services Appropriately 209 5-6 Establishing Your Own Working Best Practices 213 5-7 More Than A Handshake: The Importance of Contracts 216 6. Working in a Small Company 220 6-1 Analyze your Goals: Benefits and Downsides of the Small Company 220 6-2 How to Get the Job 222 6-3 Responsibilities and Stresses in a Small Company 225 6-4 Personal Dynamics in Small Companies 228 6-5 Managing Tightly-Limited Resources 230 6-6 Task Breakdown: A Typical Week 235 7. Working in a Larger Company 237 7-1 Analyze your Goals: Benefits and Downsides of the Large Company 238 7-2 How to Get the Job 239 7-3 Globalization: Outsourcing and Temporary Worker Visas 242 7-4 Procedures and You: Keeping Your Head Above Water 249 7-5 Managing Relationships with Marketing 257 7-6 Task Breakdown: A Typical Week 260 8. Conclusion 263 8-1 Go Forth and Conquer 263
Reply by Grant Edwards July 31, 20062006-07-31
On 2006-08-01, John F <spam@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>> Yes, I know HP did in fact spin that division off in an attempt >> to distance themselves from a hard-won reputation as one of the >> premier test gear manufactureres, but I can't for the life of >> me remember what they called the cast off division. > > Agilent?
Yea, it came to me just after I posted this. I honestly couldn't think of it even though I had to stop in the middle of the posting and take the penne off the stove. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! Is this BOISE?? at visi.com
Reply by John F July 31, 20062006-07-31
Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2006-07-31, Me <an0011@gmail.com> wrote: >> Dear Mr. Edwards, >> >> Thank you very much for your answer >> >> Grant Edwards wrote: >>> On 2006 >>> MSP430 for stuff that fits in 64K, ARM for bigger programs is >>> probably a good starting point. There are still plenty of >>> people using 8051, 6812, and 68xxx (now called >>> "colddragonfireball" or something equally inane). >> >> hahahaha :-) > > Even worse than the processor name is that they ditched > venerable Motorola name for "Freescale" which I thought was > some sort of Cocaine/ether combination that blew up in Richard > Prior's face and burned him severely. Not really the sort of > association you want popping into people's heads, but they > didn't ask me.
Muhaha!
> The next thing you know, HP is going to call their test > equipment division something stupid.
Already done.
> Yes, I know HP did in fact spin that division off in an attempt > to distance themselves from a hard-won reputation as one of the > premier test gear manufactureres, but I can't for the life of > me remember what they called the cast off division.
Agilent?
> I can almost hear the discussion at Tektronix: > > VP1: We should spin off our test equipment division and name > it something nonsensical nobody can remember. You > know, like HP did with their test equipment and > Motorola did with semiconductors. > > VP2: But we don't make anything except test equipment. > There'd be nothing left to call "Tekronix" > > VP1: That's why this is so brilliant! Other corporations > have only been able to abandon _part_ of their good > name and reputation -- 50% at most. We can get rid of > 100%! That's _twice_ as much!" > > VP2: Damn, you're right!
LOOOOOL -- Johannes You can have it: Quick, Accurate, Inexpensive. Pick two.