Reply by Eric August 10, 20062006-08-10
> What impressed me is that AVR Studio comes preconfigured for GCC, and once I > installed WinAVR (even though I didn't install it in the usual place), AVR > Studio found it and used it.
I've used gcc on a lot of platforms and I even wrote my own IDE for it. But I've never seen such good support for gcc from any MCU maker. The latest AVR Studio is far better than any other IDE for gcc! And the integrated debugger is cool. The sad thing about this is that the word hasn't gotten around very well yet. We need to tell people about it! Eric
Reply by Ulf Samuelsson August 7, 20062006-08-07
"mc" <look@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address> skrev i meddelandet
> Ulf, while we have you "on the line," let me ask another thing... > > Over the weekend I tried out both ImageCraft C and GCC. (With a small > program I got very similar results; I didn't try anything big enough to > really bring out a difference.) > > What impressed me is that AVR Studio comes preconfigured for GCC, and once > I installed WinAVR (even though I didn't install it in the usual place), > AVR Studio found it and used it. > > Is Atmel making a long-term commitment to GCC? Is the library going to > grow? I imagine having all the functionality of BASCOM (hardware and > software UARTs, LCD interfacing, etc.) available in GCC. > > Thanks, > Michael >
GCC is still considered to be an (important) third party project. Personally, I would like to see most if not all applications notes written as drivers for a scheduler allowing easy integration, but Atmel is not there yet. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
Reply by mc August 7, 20062006-08-07