Reply by Chris Hills August 14, 20062006-08-14
In article <ZgYDg.35$RR.50@nntpserver.swip.net>, Ulf Samuelsson <ulf@a-
t-m-e-l.com> writes
>"ARM7" <CAN.solutions@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet >news:1155269755.248128.225750@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >> Hi group, >> >> I am new to ARM7 microcontrollers and would like to hear from >> experienced people what they recommend. I saw that the Philips ones are >> pretty popular but ST have a built-in 1.8V regulator. What chip would >> you recommend? >> Are there any ARM7 with more than 64KB Ram and 1MB Flash? > >AT91FR40162. >2 MB Flash + 256 kB SRAM in a BGA package. > >> I am not very keen in soldering -
None of us are with a BGA!!! :-)
> in fact I would prefer a ready made >> and pretty small board with a chip on it so that I only need to add >> power to get my first project going.
For a first project that is a good idea.
> Perfectly it should have a mounted >> graphic LCD module and if possible 128KB Ram and 4MB Flash or more.
Why so much for a first project? -- \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/ /\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/\ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Reply by Ulf Samuelsson August 13, 20062006-08-13
"ARM7" <CAN.solutions@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi group, > > I am new to ARM7 microcontrollers and would like to hear from > experienced people what they recommend. I saw that the Philips ones are > pretty popular but ST have a built-in 1.8V regulator. What chip would > you recommend? > Are there any ARM7 with more than 64KB Ram and 1MB Flash?
AT91FR40162. 2 MB Flash + 256 kB SRAM in a BGA package.
> I am not very keen in soldering - in fact I would prefer a ready made > and pretty small board with a chip on it so that I only need to add > power to get my first project going. Perfectly it should have a mounted > graphic LCD module and if possible 128KB Ram and 4MB Flash or more. > How good is the gcc compiler tool-chain for the ARM, code density etc? > Does everything work as expected? How about malloc and related > functions? Does the C++ frontend work for the ARM? As a fan of Modula > - I couldn't find it - any project with a Modula compiler? > Anything else you may want to share? > > Best thanks in advance! >
Reply by Chris Hills August 11, 20062006-08-11
In article <1155269755.248128.225750@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, ARM7
<CAN.solutions@gmail.com> writes
>Hi group, > >I am new to ARM7 microcontrollers and would like to hear from >experienced people what they recommend. I saw that the Philips ones are >pretty popular but ST have a built-in 1.8V regulator. What chip would >you recommend? >Are there any ARM7 with more than 64KB Ram and 1MB Flash? >I am not very keen in soldering - in fact I would prefer a ready made >and pretty small board with a chip on it so that I only need to add >power to get my first project going.
That is sensible. It is not realy worth making your own board these days. Gone are the days of MCU in 40 pin DIl sockets.
>Perfectly it should have a mounted >graphic LCD module and if possible 128KB Ram and 4MB Flash or more.
Buy a kit! Why do you need so much memory? What is the project
>How good is the gcc compiler tool-chain for the ARM, code density etc?
Not that good compared to the commercial compilers. (I assume you mean C or C++) However if it is for your own use it is OK.
>Does everything work as expected? How about malloc and related >functions?
A lot of embedded coding standards prohibit the use of Malloc.
>Does the C++ frontend work for the ARM? As a fan of Modula >- I couldn't find it - any project with a Modula compiler? >Anything else you may want to share?
Whilst Modula is theoretically a good language finding a good implementation is another matter. Also I think you will find that 99% of the support for ARM will be in C or C++ Certainly all the free examples from the chip vendors. Your ]best bet is to buy a dev kit. -- \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/ /\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/\ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Reply by Jim Granville August 11, 20062006-08-11
ARM7 wrote:
> Hi group, > > I am new to ARM7 microcontrollers and would like to hear from > experienced people what they recommend. I saw that the Philips ones are > pretty popular but ST have a built-in 1.8V regulator. What chip would > you recommend? > Are there any ARM7 with more than 64KB Ram and 1MB Flash? > I am not very keen in soldering - in fact I would prefer a ready made > and pretty small board with a chip on it so that I only need to add > power to get my first project going. Perfectly it should have a mounted > graphic LCD module and if possible 128KB Ram and 4MB Flash or more. > How good is the gcc compiler tool-chain for the ARM, code density etc? > Does everything work as expected? How about malloc and related > functions? Does the C++ frontend work for the ARM? As a fan of Modula > - I couldn't find it - any project with a Modula compiler? > Anything else you may want to share? > > Best thanks in advance!
Try http://www.gnuarm.net/ArmDevices_frame.html http://www.arjay.bc.ca/Modula-2/m2faq.html There is a gnu Modula-2, but for a larger user base, you might want to look at the FreePascal ARM efforts, http://www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/GameBoy_Advance -jg
Reply by ARM7 August 11, 20062006-08-11