Reply by Ulf Samuelsson August 18, 20062006-08-18
"An Schwob in the USA" <schwobus@aol.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Ulf, > > you are absolutely correct, I described the 9261 when I was talking > about the 9260 and vice versa. > Haven't heard about the 9263 yet. Sounds good except for the package > BGA 324?
> Also, is the build in support for booting from serial, I guess SPI Flash?
Yes, all AT91 ARM9s support booting from SPI but the bootROM is evolving with new parts. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
"CBFalconer" <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Ulf Samuelsson wrote: >> > ... snip ... >> >> I think that if you have read Atmels public statements on the AVR32 you >> will >> find that >> the AVR32 is designed to be a general purpose controller with media >> functionality. > > Please try to keep your line lengths under 72. 65 is better. >
Since I am sending a lot of mails from my mobile phone where the linelength is about 20, I have a good average ;-) -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
Reply by An Schwob in the USA August 17, 20062006-08-17
Ulf,

you are absolutely correct, I described the 9261 when I was talking
about the 9260 and vice versa.
Haven't heard about the 9263 yet. Sounds good except for the package
BGA 324?

Also, is the build in support for booting from serial, I guess SPI
Flash?

An Schwob.

Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> "An Schwob in the USA" <schwobus@aol.com> skrev i meddelandet > news:1155597322.836882.179130@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > > > > if Atmel really has a flash based ARM 9 from the SAM9xxx series I > > missed it (and I am really watching these topics). They announced a > > SAM9260 which is manufactured in a more advance technology and to my > > surprise a SAM9261 with a better peripheral set in an older technology. > > The 9261 has Ethernet, the SAM9260 does not. On the other hand, the > > SRAM on the SAM9261 is pretty much negligable, resulting in a fast core > > with slow memory access and a smallest possible cache does not really > > improve this situation. Nevertheless the 9261 would be my preference > > out of these two. > > I think you mix the chips together > > CHIP AT91RM9200 AT91SAM9260 AT91SAM9261 AT91SAM9263 > CPU ARM920T ARM926EJ-S ARM926EJ-S ARM926EJ-S > Tech 0,18u 0,18u 0,13u 0,13u > Cache 16k+16k 8k+8k 16k+16k 16k+16k > SRAM 16 kB 4+4kB 160 kB 96 kB > Flash - - - - > Ethernet Yes Yes No Yes > LCD No No Yes Yes > BUS ASB AHB AHB AHB > Bus Freq 60 MHz 100 MHz 100 MHz 100 MHz > Pack: BGA256/ BGA217/ BGA217 BGA324 > TQFP208 TQFP208 > > Some customers already have SAM9260 rev B chips. > The performance of the SAM > AT91SAM9263 has some other goodies like CAN controller, dual bus , 2D > accelerator etc... > Should be available later this year. > > > > Unfortunately neither one has flash >
-- snip --
> Best Regards, > Ulf Samuelsson
Reply by CBFalconer August 17, 20062006-08-17
Ulf Samuelsson wrote:

... snip ...
> > I think that if you have read Atmels public statements on the AVR32 you will > find that > the AVR32 is designed to be a general purpose controller with media > functionality.
Please try to keep your line lengths under 72. 65 is better. -- "The power of the Executive to cast a man into prison without formulating any charge known to the law, and particularly to deny him the judgement of his peers, is in the highest degree odious and is the foundation of all totalitarian government whether Nazi or Communist." -- W. Churchill, Nov 21, 1943
Reply by Ulf Samuelsson August 17, 20062006-08-17
"Eric" <englere_geo@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > Ulf Samuelsson wrote: > >> > Ah, a 32 bit AVR, looking forward to it, thanks >> > >> Now when we have the AVR32, this comment may be confusing :-) > > Are you going to make an AVR32 MCU with flash?
I think that if you have read Atmels public statements on the AVR32 you will find that the AVR32 is designed to be a general purpose controller with media functionality. Some of the media functionality is in the instruction set and some is in a coprocessor (which might or might not be present in any new chip). The AVR32 is basically available to all groups within Atmel that want to use the core, and when it is time to release information about new chips, I am sure there will be a formal press release.
> Right now it looks like a specialized media chip, rather than a general > purpose controller.
It has basically the same peripherals as the AT91SAM9 series, which are considered to be general purpose controllers. If it happens to have the right match of peripheral, then you need to compare the price with other parts with sufficient functionality. If it then has the lowest price, you go for it, otherwise you go for something else. Some key things which are not (yet) present in AT91: Combined Ethernet + LCD control USB High Speed client. AC-97 DMA The NEXUS Calls 3+ debug is superior to the JTAG of the ARM. If you look at support, then gcc and linux + file system is directly supported by Atmel for the AVR32. For the AT91, you can either go to maxim.org.za/AT91RM9200/2.6 or to Timesys. There are AT91 features which are not matched by the AP7000 chips. The new AT91SAM9260, (just got my first samples and dev boards shipping this week :-) will surely be lower cost than any of the AP7000 chips. The SAM9261 has a huge SRAM. The boot ROM is getting better and better (most of my request for new functionality was introduced in the SAM9260 bootROM) - no bootROM in the AP7000 so I am pestering the guys constantly!! In the end some will select ARM because they want ARM and other will go for best chip to meet their needs and then the AVR32 can compete. One of the nice advantage of the Atmel Norway design centre is that they are hungry and are open to any idea that will improve their offering. They are not afraid to acknowledge weaknesses (internally), and will put a lot of effort into fixing stuff. Just look at the Picopower. Think they derve a lot of credit for that development.
> Eric >
-- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
Reply by John B August 17, 20062006-08-17
steve scrobe on the papyrus:

> > Ulf Samuelsson wrote: > > > Now when we have the AVR32, this comment may be confusing :-) > > It will still be an ARM7. > > > Yes, but the AVR32 doesn't seem to be a 32 bit version of the 8 bit > AVR we all know and love, it's seems to be some type of customized > chip made for a large customer now offered to the public.
The mega103 started life as a custom chip and now it's spawned the mega2560, which is really useful, apart from the rather clunky RAMPZ paging register. Just wait a few years and see where the AVR32 goes. Of course, by the time it get to be useful, I'll probably be far too old to be able to make sense of it >:-} -- John B
Reply by steve August 17, 20062006-08-17
Ulf Samuelsson wrote:

> Now when we have the AVR32, this comment may be confusing :-) > It will still be an ARM7. >
Yes, but the AVR32 doesn't seem to be a 32 bit version of the 8 bit AVR we all know and love, it's seems to be some type of customized chip made for a large customer now offered to the public.
Reply by Eric August 17, 20062006-08-17
Ulf Samuelsson wrote:

> > Ah, a 32 bit AVR, looking forward to it, thanks > > > Now when we have the AVR32, this comment may be confusing :-)
Are you going to make an AVR32 MCU with flash? Right now it looks like a specialized media chip, rather than a general purpose controller. Eric
Reply by Ulf Samuelsson August 16, 20062006-08-16
"steve" <bungalow_steve@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > Ulf Samuelsson wrote: >> "steve" <bungalow_steve@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet >> news:1155660331.891787.16590@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com... >> > >> > Ulf Samuelsson wrote: >> > >> >> I think you mix the chips together >> >> >> > >> > You wouldn't happen to know anything about the SAM7L series, is there >> > something special about the "Ultra Low Power" title, or is it just a >> > normal SAM7 with an LCD controller? >> > >> >> Among other things, it will run from a low voltage supply. >> The current devices have a minimum voltage of 3.0V. >> There are a lot of other things which cannot be revealed at this point. >> >> -- > Ah, a 32 bit AVR, looking forward to it, thanks >
Now when we have the AVR32, this comment may be confusing :-) It will still be an ARM7. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
Reply by steve August 16, 20062006-08-16