Reply by Ulf Samuelsson September 9, 20062006-09-09
"Ali" <abdulrazaq@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > Is there any chip available with serial interface (three wires) for > TCP/IP connectivity? > > > ali >
Can build one with the AT91SAM7X128/256 and a TCP/IP stack. www.freertos.org -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
Reply by Viktor September 7, 20062006-09-07
Ali wrote:
> Is there any chip available with serial interface (three wires) for > TCP/IP connectivity? > > > ali
The Tibbo EM100 module uses 5V level serial async interface i.e. RX, TX and GND. take a look at www.tibbo.com
Reply by Meindert Sprang September 7, 20062006-09-07
http://www.semiconductorstore.com/images/Items/Lantronix/XPort_blockdiagram.jpg
> > ] ofcourse except power and ground but its kind of expensive solution > > to us. > > > > > > ali > > > > You will need a rudimentary HTTP server on top of the > TCP/IP stack. I doubt that the plain TCP/serial interface > provides the proper sequencing of request and response > disconnects for Web service.
The Lantronix devices have a webserver built in. You can load web pages into the device. Meindert
Reply by Tauno Voipio September 7, 20062006-09-07
Ali wrote:
> > > The device is stationary so power consumption is not an issue here, > well guys let me elaborate my problem. We want to provide a web > interface of our RFID reader, at moment it is providing only RS232 > interface for hosts. From reader to host the data will be always less > then 13 bytes and from host to reader it would be even less than that. > So I'm not looking for super higher data rates with encryption etc.. > > >>Of course, if he only has 3 pins to spare, there is the small question of whether he's >got resources for an entire IP stack. > > > Yes that is an issue here, we never though that we would be having web > interface of our gadget but now management wants to add that as well. > We are lacking I/O pins from our MCU but maximum 6 to 7 pins can be > spared for that. As Lantronix XPort and Digi ME only requires 5 > fundamental pins [ > http://www.semiconductorstore.com/images/Items/Lantronix/XPort_blockdiagram.jpg > ] ofcourse except power and ground but its kind of expensive solution > to us. > > > ali >
You will need a rudimentary HTTP server on top of the TCP/IP stack. I doubt that the plain TCP/serial interface provides the proper sequencing of request and response disconnects for Web service. Also, there's a need for storing the Web pages themselves somewhere on the system, either in the converter unit or the client behind the serial connection. Been there - done that. -- Tauno Voipio tauno voipio (at) iki fi
Reply by Ulf Samuelsson September 7, 20062006-09-07
"Ali" <abdulrazaq@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > Is there any chip available with serial interface (three wires) for > TCP/IP connectivity? > > > ali >
Can build one with the AT91SAM7X128/256 and a TCP/IP stack. www.freertos.org -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
Reply by FreeRTOS.org September 6, 20062006-09-06
> Is there any chip available with serial interface (three wires) for > TCP/IP connectivity?
TCP/IP implemented in hardware with I2C interface: http://www.iinchip.com/wiznet/product_assp.html Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org + http://www.SafeRTOS.com for Cortex-M3, ARM7, ARM9, HCS12, H8S, MSP430 Microblaze, Coldfire, AVR, x86, 8051 & PIC18 * * * *
Reply by Ali September 6, 20062006-09-06
Richard H. wrote:
> Meindert Sprang wrote: > >>Lantronix XPort > >>Digi ME > > > > > > Even more current consumption..... (>300mA) > > Yep, a lot of power for just 10Mbps. IIRC, even more than a 10/100 like > ASIX. > > But then power was not one of the OP's criteria, and how many Ethernet > devices are battery operated? Of course, if he only has 3 pins to > spare, there is the small question of whether he's got resources for an > entire IP stack. > > At $50 a pop there are also other (larger) module options like Rabbit. > But at this price, why not switch micros and get a 32-bitter with > everything built-in for less? > > Most of the requirements are missing here...
The device is stationary so power consumption is not an issue here, well guys let me elaborate my problem. We want to provide a web interface of our RFID reader, at moment it is providing only RS232 interface for hosts. From reader to host the data will be always less then 13 bytes and from host to reader it would be even less than that. So I'm not looking for super higher data rates with encryption etc..
>Of course, if he only has 3 pins to spare, there is the small question of whether he's >got resources for an entire IP stack.
Yes that is an issue here, we never though that we would be having web interface of our gadget but now management wants to add that as well. We are lacking I/O pins from our MCU but maximum 6 to 7 pins can be spared for that. As Lantronix XPort and Digi ME only requires 5 fundamental pins [ http://www.semiconductorstore.com/images/Items/Lantronix/XPort_blockdiagram.jpg ] ofcourse except power and ground but its kind of expensive solution to us. ali
Reply by Richard H. September 6, 20062006-09-06
Meindert Sprang wrote:
>>Lantronix XPort >>Digi ME > > > Even more current consumption..... (>300mA)
Yep, a lot of power for just 10Mbps. IIRC, even more than a 10/100 like ASIX. But then power was not one of the OP's criteria, and how many Ethernet devices are battery operated? Of course, if he only has 3 pins to spare, there is the small question of whether he's got resources for an entire IP stack. At $50 a pop there are also other (larger) module options like Rabbit. But at this price, why not switch micros and get a 32-bitter with everything built-in for less? Most of the requirements are missing here...
Reply by Meindert Sprang September 6, 20062006-09-06
"Richard H." <rh86@no.spam> wrote in message
> Ali wrote: > > Yes ENC28J60 is provided by MicroChip not Atmel. Actually my system > > design is lacking pins thats why i want to have serial interface (SPI > > etc..). Do we have any other option ? with minimum pins required to > > interface. > > Lantronix XPort > Digi ME
Even more current consumption..... (>300mA) Meindert