Reply by Mr. C November 1, 20062006-11-01
Be very careful when applying voltages to the skin on a long-term
basis.  I know from my work in the pain control business that there
should NEVER be any DC component of voltage applied to the skin.  If
there is a DC component, it will cause skin irritation.  If you did
want to run wires of any kind, just be sure they are insulated from
the surface of the skin.
Reply by Barry & Nikki October 30, 20062006-10-30
I guess with this idea the sales of glow in the dark vibrators will
diminish. All of a sudden you can have the real deal glowing and maybe a
little tingle as well.

"Tom Lucas" <news@REMOVE_auto_THIS_flame_TO_REPLY.clara.co.uk> wrote in
message news:1160739320.74179.0@despina.uk.clara.net...
> "larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote in message > news:1160738056.951516.140710@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > > > > Lyn wrote: > > > >> Re " try integrating a wiring system into clothing?" > >> Because its too easy and already been done. Also not all the body is > >> clothed, e.g. arms, face, neck etc. > > > > How about a tattoo in conductive ink? > > > > I wonder if you could tattoo someone with ITO (indium tin oxide; used > > as the electrode material in LCDs). That way you could run _invisible_ > > wires through the skin. > > > Of course if you're willing to put up with this much pain, perhaps > > just > > running a thin wire through the dermis might be the right plan. > > > > It never ceases to surprise me the ways in which people mutilate > themselves. The service department secretary here has her _wrist_ > pierced along with a number of other appendages. You wouldn't have to > add many more to find a conductive path from her pocket to her ears! > >
Reply by Rich Grise October 18, 20062006-10-18
On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 02:53:25 -0700, Lyn wrote:

> First of all, thank you for all your replies, I like them all and also the > Tin Oxide invisible ink, sounds fun. Secondly, my apologies for messing > up top and bottom posting, I first posted on Usenet in 1994, but have just > started to use Google Groups for posting, which is taking control of the > formatting. Ok it's not Googles error, it must be mine, so I'll try and > sort it out.
Nothing to it - control-end before you start to type. Then, of course, go back up and snip the stuff that you're not actually replying to. (you can do this with your mouse or your cursor control keys.) Cheers! Rich
Reply by Don Klipstein October 16, 20062006-10-16
In <1160734761.579682.253570@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>, Didi wrote:
>I think your idea is good and can make you good money if >you are fast enough. 1-2 mA is not a lot, but with some more >experiments you may be able to achieve 10 mA or so. Then, you >may try sticking very thin enammeled wire to the skin (say, 0.06 >or something, it is flexible enough to last for the evening >and will only take some glue - and will carry more than 10 mA...). >You will probably have to zig-zag bend the wire before sticking >so it will withstand the skin expansions etc...
I do prefer wire over paint, but I also want to mention that there are plenty of LEDs now that get bright enough to use as indicator lamps with current in the .5-2 mA range. - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply by Lyn October 15, 20062006-10-15
First of all, thank you for all your replies, I like them all and also
the Tin Oxide invisible ink,  sounds fun.
Secondly, my apologies for messing up top and bottom posting, I first
posted on Usenet in 1994, but have just started to use Google Groups
for posting, which is taking control of the formatting. Ok it's not
Googles error, it must be mine, so I'll try and sort it out.

Thirdly, I'm off to start another post here on some more of my skin
experiments....
Lyn

Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 21:56:07 -0700, Robert Adsett wrote: > > Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie wrote: > >> On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:52:28 -0700, Lyn wrote: > >> On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:52:28 -0700, Lyn top-posted: > >> > > >> > Gosh, but I'm a lady, as my photo link in my original post indicates > >> > and never had a tatoo....yet ;-) > >> > > >> > But I could - for the benefit of science! > >> > > >> > Does it hurt? > >> > > >> > > >> OK- caught me - I didn't even look at the page. Now I have, and that > >> paint is hideous! > >> > >> And no, I do NOT recommend tattos, for a couple of reasons - first, I > >> think it's a form of self-mutilation, which I find abhorrent, and also, > >> from what I've heard, yes, they're terribly painful - just like having > >> an ink-laden needle puncturing your skin about 10 times a second. ("just > >> like", hell, it _IS_ an ink-laden needle puncturing your skin 10 times a > >> second!) > > > > Are tatoos continuous? I would have thought they were interrupted leading > > to an increas in resistance even if you were tempted. > > > > Actually, the tattoo thing was a joke. Put an electrode as deep as a > tattoo, and your whole body becomes a conductor. > > Do you think the Star Trek gang got the term "Borg" from "cyborg"? Ick! > Who wants to turn themselves into some kind of machine? I much prefer > real life! > > Cheers! > RIch
Reply by Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie October 14, 20062006-10-14
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 21:56:07 -0700, Robert Adsett wrote:
> Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie wrote: >> On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:52:28 -0700, Lyn wrote: >> On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:52:28 -0700, Lyn top-posted: >> > >> > Gosh, but I'm a lady, as my photo link in my original post indicates >> > and never had a tatoo....yet ;-) >> > >> > But I could - for the benefit of science! >> > >> > Does it hurt? >> > >> > >> OK- caught me - I didn't even look at the page. Now I have, and that >> paint is hideous! >> >> And no, I do NOT recommend tattos, for a couple of reasons - first, I >> think it's a form of self-mutilation, which I find abhorrent, and also, >> from what I've heard, yes, they're terribly painful - just like having >> an ink-laden needle puncturing your skin about 10 times a second. ("just >> like", hell, it _IS_ an ink-laden needle puncturing your skin 10 times a >> second!) > > Are tatoos continuous? I would have thought they were interrupted leading > to an increas in resistance even if you were tempted. >
Actually, the tattoo thing was a joke. Put an electrode as deep as a tattoo, and your whole body becomes a conductor. Do you think the Star Trek gang got the term "Borg" from "cyborg"? Ick! Who wants to turn themselves into some kind of machine? I much prefer real life! Cheers! RIch
Reply by jasen October 14, 20062006-10-14
On 2006-10-13, Lyn <sensecam@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Peter, > Thank you. > Some good points. > Many artists wear silver body paint, so non toxic.
but is the non-toxic stuff conductive? possibly a barrier layer could be placed between the conductive and the skin?
> I'm only passing 1-2mA through skin at present, but your issue on > possible skin damage may be valid.
-- Bye. Jasen
Reply by Robert Adsett October 14, 20062006-10-14
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:52:28 -0700, Lyn wrote: > > On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:52:28 -0700, Lyn top-posted: > > > > Gosh, but I'm a lady, as my photo link in my original post indicates and > > never had a tatoo....yet ;-) > > > > But I could - for the benefit of science! > > > > Does it hurt? > > > > OK- caught me - I didn't even look at the page. Now I have, and that paint > is hideous! > > And no, I do NOT recommend tattos, for a couple of reasons - first, I > think it's a form of self-mutilation, which I find abhorrent, and also, > from what I've heard, yes, they're terribly painful - just like having > an ink-laden needle puncturing your skin about 10 times a second. ("just > like", hell, it _IS_ an ink-laden needle puncturing your skin 10 times > a second!)
Are tatoos continuous? I would have thought they were interrupted leading to an increas in resistance even if you were tempted. Robert
Reply by Walter Harley October 14, 20062006-10-14
"Lyn" <sensecam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the patent reminder, I posted here as i'm not planning on > patenting it, I'm doing it just for fun & research. > My last patent on this same subject covered most of the idea: > > http://tinyurl.com/2vgx6
Hmm. Keith Relf's later work might constitute prior art.
Reply by Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie October 14, 20062006-10-14
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:52:28 -0700, Lyn wrote:

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:52:28 -0700, Lyn top-posted:
> > Gosh, but I'm a lady, as my photo link in my original post indicates and > never had a tatoo....yet ;-) > > But I could - for the benefit of science! > > Does it hurt? >
OK- caught me - I didn't even look at the page. Now I have, and that paint is hideous! And no, I do NOT recommend tattos, for a couple of reasons - first, I think it's a form of self-mutilation, which I find abhorrent, and also, from what I've heard, yes, they're terribly painful - just like having an ink-laden needle puncturing your skin about 10 times a second. ("just like", hell, it _IS_ an ink-laden needle puncturing your skin 10 times a second!) Good Luck! Rich [and please learn to bottom-post. As you can see, top-posting breaks the natural flow of the conversation.]