Reply by Costas Vlachos October 13, 20062006-10-13
"John" <javacc1@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1160749388.041387.275920@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...
> If CPU is servicing a pin 5 interrupt in ISR, and there is another > interrupt pin 3 (with higher priority) comes in. Will CPU stops > servicing a pin 5 interrupt and handles interrupt pin 3 first? Or it > will wait until pin 5 ISR is done? > > please advice. thanks...
In the PIC18 family of MCUs the low-priority ISR will be interrupted by the high-priority interrupt, the high-priority ISR will be executed completely, and then the low-priority ISR will resume. The high-priority ISR will not be interrupted by any interrupts. This is the default behaviour (no changes in the global interrupt enable flags GIEL/GIEH from within each ISR). You can achieve all sorts of nested interrupt scenarios if you play with these flags. You'll need to let us know what processor you're referring to... -- Regards, Costas _________________________________________________ Costas Vlachos Email: c-X-vlachos@hot-X-mail.com SPAM-TRAPPED: Please remove "-X-" before replying
Reply by Ian Bell October 13, 20062006-10-13
John wrote:

> If CPU is servicing a pin 5 interrupt in ISR, and there is another > interrupt pin 3 (with higher priority) comes in. Will CPU stops > servicing a pin 5 interrupt and handles interrupt pin 3 first? Or it > will wait until pin 5 ISR is done? > > please advice. thanks...
As a rule, yes - that's what prioritised interrupts means; a higher priority interrupt can interrupt a currently running lower priority interrupt. Whether this behaviour can be modified depends on the particular processor you are using. ian
Reply by karel October 13, 20062006-10-13
"John" <javacc1@gmail.com> wrote in message
> If CPU is servicing a pin 5 interrupt in ISR, and there is another > interrupt pin 3 (with higher priority) comes in. Will CPU stops > servicing a pin 5 interrupt and handles interrupt pin 3 first? Or it > will wait until pin 5 ISR is done?
Yes
Reply by Tim Wescott October 13, 20062006-10-13
John wrote:

> If CPU is servicing a pin 5 interrupt in ISR, and there is another > interrupt pin 3 (with higher priority) comes in. Will CPU stops > servicing a pin 5 interrupt and handles interrupt pin 3 first? Or it > will wait until pin 5 ISR is done? > > please advice. thanks... >
Given that you haven't seen fit to tell us what processor you're using I'll make some general statements: Most processors that have prioritized interrupt schemes still turn off all interrupts when an ISR is entered. Unless you do something specific to turn interrupts back on the second interrupt will most likely pend until the first ISR returns (most processors' return-from-interrupt instructions also restore the interrupt state). To actually find out what happens on your mystery machine, you'll have to look in the manuals. "Nest" is the key word, from "nested interrupts" or "interrupt nesting". -- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/ "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" came out in April. See details at http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html
Reply by Grant Edwards October 13, 20062006-10-13
On 2006-10-13, Ico <usenet@zeev.nl> wrote:
> John <javacc1@gmail.com> wrote: >> If CPU is servicing a pin 5 interrupt in ISR, and there is another >> interrupt pin 3 (with higher priority) comes in. Will CPU stops >> servicing a pin 5 interrupt and handles interrupt pin 3 first? Or it >> will wait until pin 5 ISR is done? > > There's no way to tell if you don't tell us what CPU you are using.
And how it's configured and what the ISR for pin 5 does. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! Please come home with at me... I have Tylenol!! visi.com
Reply by Ico October 13, 20062006-10-13
John <javacc1@gmail.com> wrote:
> If CPU is servicing a pin 5 interrupt in ISR, and there is another > interrupt pin 3 (with higher priority) comes in. Will CPU stops > servicing a pin 5 interrupt and handles interrupt pin 3 first? Or it > will wait until pin 5 ISR is done?
There's no way to tell if you don't tell us what CPU you are using. -- :wq ^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C
Reply by FreeRTOS.org October 13, 20062006-10-13
"John" <javacc1@gmail.com> wrote in message
> If CPU is servicing a pin 5 interrupt in ISR, and there is another > interrupt pin 3 (with higher priority) comes in. Will CPU stops > servicing a pin 5 interrupt and handles interrupt pin 3 first? Or it > will wait until pin 5 ISR is done? > > please advice. thanks...
This group should be renamed comp.arch.clairvoyant. Seeing as my powers are week today - which processor are you talking about? Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org + http://www.SafeRTOS.com for Cortex-M3, ARM7, ARM9, HCS12, H8S, MSP430 Microblaze, Coldfire, AVR, x86, 8051, PIC24 & dsPIC
Reply by John October 13, 20062006-10-13