Reply by November 9, 20042004-11-09
mangled_us@yahoo.com (David) writes:
> Queestion as topic : does anyone here know of a microcontroller that > can operate with supply and I/O between 4 and 7 volts ?
Microchip PIC16HV family.
Reply by David October 27, 20042004-10-27
> > Queestion as topic : does anyone here know of a microcontroller that > > can operate with supply and I/O between 4 and 7 volts ? > > Microchip produces "HV" variants (high voltage) of some of their PIC > chips. IIRC they work at up to 14V, but at least they are good to > run off 9V batteries. > > > Of course I could regulate the supply but then I would also need to > > opto-isolate all the I/O which is not viable. > > If you IO doesnt exceed 7V, you dont necessarily have to optoisolate. > The 74VHC family can be used as cheap levelconverter. > > Marc
Thanks to Marc and all who responded. I will investigate the Goal & Microchip parts and other suggestions re level shifting and regulation. Thanks again, David
Reply by Jim Granville October 25, 20042004-10-25
David wrote:
>>>Of course I could regulate the supply but then I would also need to >>>opto-isolate all the I/O which is not viable. >> >>You don't need to opto-isolate, just level-shift. Many existing ICs can >>do that. In fact, many PC CPU runs below 2V and level-shift to 3.3V/5V. >>Many microcontroller runs below 2V for much lower operating power. some >>has open-collector outputs to aid lvel-shifting. >> > > > I mispoke thanks for pointing that out. Of course any level-shifting > method would do, not just opto-isolating the I/O. However I want it > all done on the MCU, 'cos otherwise it'll treble the board area (< > 1"" square) and also treble the costs. I'm certain this can't be an > unusual requirement - is there really no MCU currently available with > higher than 5(ish) volts tolerant I/O ?
There are some, but not many. Highest IO spec I've seen is 100V and 300V on VERSA HV100, HV300 see http://www.goalasic.com/productguide.html Also Fairchild make uC with 12V regulators, and IIRC Microchip did an OTP one. SiLabs hae parts with +/-60V Analog IP pins. Atmel's MARC4 family is specified to 6.5V Vcc [operate] So higher voltage can clearly be done, but normally the CPU Core is not designed for high voltage operation, as it is more power efficent to regulate the core power, but maybe offer higher IO voltages. STm and Motorola have CMOS+Power FAB processes, that can integrate uC + PowerMOSFETS for high volume users. Anything over 5.5V these days is unusual, but maybe someone will join Goal in offering a "CPU + ULN2003" in one package ? -jg
Reply by Peter Kannegiesser October 25, 20042004-10-25
"Norm Dresner" <ndrez@att.net> schrubbelte:

>So, if you had actually used Google
...which I actually did -- but thanks anyway. -peter --
Reply by jetmarc October 25, 20042004-10-25
> Queestion as topic : does anyone here know of a microcontroller that > can operate with supply and I/O between 4 and 7 volts ?
Microchip produces "HV" variants (high voltage) of some of their PIC chips. IIRC they work at up to 14V, but at least they are good to run off 9V batteries.
> Of course I could regulate the supply but then I would also need to > opto-isolate all the I/O which is not viable.
If you IO doesnt exceed 7V, you dont necessarily have to optoisolate. The 74VHC family can be used as cheap levelconverter. Marc
Reply by Ulf Samuelsson October 25, 20042004-10-25
"David" <mangled_us@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > Since I/O is beteen 4 and 7 volts, why do you not connect the GND of the > > Micro to 4 Volts. > > Most CPUs will handle that. > > Hi Ulf, thanks for responding. > > I take it from your answer that Atmel don't have such a chip in their > armoury ? I'm interested to hear from a chip mfr what the reasons > behind this might be ? Of course I understand that CPU performance is > all optimised for certain voltages and that device densities would > suffer. But still... a device with a higher supply and I/O voltage > tolerance must surely have many applications ? Anything that runs of > batteries would be easier to design, for instance. So how about > persuading the chaps back at base for us ? :-)
No, as others have mentioned, the cost makes the device unattractive. To handle 7 Volt inside a transistor, you have to use processes which are (today) totally unsuitable cost wise Battery operated equipment is moving in the other direction to conserve power. Remember: P = C * U^2 So reduction off voltage is the most important factor in battery management. You can use an regulator to reduce the voltage from a high voltage device. You do not need to use the high voltage for I/O.
> > Regards, > > David
-- Best Regards Ulf at atmel dot com These comments are intended to be my own opinion and they may, or may not be shared by my employer, Atmel Sweden.
Reply by Paul Keinanen October 25, 20042004-10-25
On 24 Oct 2004 05:17:17 -0700, mangled_us@yahoo.com (David) wrote:

>But still... a device with a higher supply and I/O voltage >tolerance must surely have many applications ?
I do not see much need in a higher supply voltage, but higher I/O voltages would be nice. I think that the largest problem is due to the common use of multifunction pins, i.e. pins that can be programmed both as inputs or outputs, which requires a lot of electronics on the pin. Designing such pins for high I/O voltages would cause a lot of reverse biasing problems. However, if dedicated input on output pins are used, the outputs could be simply open collector(drain) types, in which the external I/O voltage could be quite high, provided that there are no real or parasitic diodes from the output pin (collector/drain) to the Vdd. If the pin can sink sufficient currents (>20 mA) LEDs and small relays could be driven directly. On the input side a high current protection diode would be required between each input and Vdd and the input can be used as voltage input, if the input voltage is always between 0 and Vdd or as a current input, with an external series resistor, if the input voltage can swing above Vdd. An extra resistor from input to ground may be needed to move the "low" state threshold sufficiently low. A CPU with a low internal power consumption can be driven with a series resistor and a shunting zener from any voltage. The zener should keep the Vdd below the maximum allowed Vdd and should be big enough, so that it can also dissipate the total worst case input pin current flowing trough the external series resistors through the input protection diodes to Vdd and through the zener to ground As such, I do not see a problem if the CPU core Vdd is quite low (1.5-3.3V) but it sure would be nice to have (high voltage tolerant) _current_ inputs and outputs (instead of voltage I/O). Paul
Reply by Earl Bollinger October 24, 20042004-10-24
"David" <mangled_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Since I/O is beteen 4 and 7 volts, why do you not connect the GND of the >> Micro to 4 Volts. >> Most CPUs will handle that. > > Hi Ulf, thanks for responding. > > I take it from your answer that Atmel don't have such a chip in their > armoury ? I'm interested to hear from a chip mfr what the reasons > behind this might be ? Of course I understand that CPU performance is > all optimised for certain voltages and that device densities would > suffer. But still... a device with a higher supply and I/O voltage > tolerance must surely have many applications ? Anything that runs of > batteries would be easier to design, for instance. So how about > persuading the chaps back at base for us ? :-) > Regards, > David
Unfortunately for your design, the entire semiconductor world has been shifting to smaller dies sizes, lower power contraints, and lower voltages. Pretty soon the 1.8v systems will be common place. That is what is driving the market now. As for running off of batteries, many systems run off of one Lithium-Ion cell at 3.7v quite readily. Many other battery powered systems use one 1.2v or two 1.2v cells and use DC-DC converters to generate higher voltages such as for LCD back lighting and such. Thus the old four, six and eight cell battery designs have all been replaced by the one or two cell battery designs. Flash card devices all run at 3.3v or less now. So unfortunately there is simply no market for 10v MCU's anymore. The manufacturers aren't going to make something that doesn't make a profit for them. It costs many millions of dollars for a factory to tool up to make the chips. You can't make obsolete chips if no one wants them. Even if you wanted to buy several million 10v MCU's. none of the manufacturers would be able to accomodate you as they have all been switching to ever smaller die sizes and equipment and no one has old chip manufacturing facilities left to make these kind of large die high power chips anymore.
Reply by steve October 24, 20042004-10-24
mangled_us@yahoo.com (David) wrote in message news:<fdf3b9b2.0410240417.3c0d02b7@posting.google.com>...
> > Since I/O is beteen 4 and 7 volts, why do you not connect the GND of the > > Micro to 4 Volts. > > Most CPUs will handle that. > > Hi Ulf, thanks for responding. > > I take it from your answer that Atmel don't have such a chip in their > armoury ? I'm interested to hear from a chip mfr what the reasons > behind this might be ? Of course I understand that CPU performance is > all optimised for certain voltages and that device densities would > suffer. But still... a device with a higher supply and I/O voltage > tolerance must surely have many applications ? Anything that runs of > batteries would be easier to design, for instance. So how about > persuading the chaps back at base for us ? :-) > > Regards, > > David
Well Dave, most chip mfr designs are a result of solving THEIR problems, not ours (even though their "Mission Statements" would have you believe otherwise). Or maybe they solve their top buyers (auto mfr) problems, but thats about it (and they kick and fight the whole way in any case). CPU's that work under wide voltages ranges would make our life much easier, but would cause them big headaches. Likewise for microcontrollers with floating point, or at least a fixed point CPU with a friggin divide instruction (i.e., where is the divide ARM?, oh Thumb2 thanks finally). But nooooo, they like to make nice sleek simple CPU's that solves all their problem (the origins of the wacky RISC craze), in return, we have to pay the price by wasting our time trying to figure out how to optimize a binary divide algorithm (see related thread in this newsgroup) all because they want to save some die space so they can include a 20th serial inteface that no one needs (but is easy to implement). Or we have to waste our time rewriting/rethinking all our algorithms to not use a divide. Or deal with the headaches of fixed point math and the typically non portable C code that goes along with it(what are we still in the 1970's?). I'm sure all the reasons why this is so is because it makes the most sense for FORD or others who buy millions of these chips who require the lowest recurring cost and thus is less concerned about NRE (software development). Why if I want floating point do I have to buy a 388 pin 1 mm ball grid array microcontroller to get it (MPC565 with has more serial ports then I can count on two hands)? Because its best for FORD, for embedded products which sell in the thousands or ten's of thousands, most of chips out there don't make much sense and you have a snowballs chance in hell changing it. Just my opinion.
Reply by Linnix October 24, 20042004-10-24
mangled_us@yahoo.com (David) wrote in message news:<fdf3b9b2.0410240417.3c0d02b7@posting.google.com>...
> > Since I/O is beteen 4 and 7 volts, why do you not connect the GND of the > > Micro to 4 Volts. > > Most CPUs will handle that. > > Hi Ulf, thanks for responding. > > I take it from your answer that Atmel don't have such a chip in their > armoury ?
Most Atmel fab processes top at 5.5V/6V.
> I'm interested to hear from a chip mfr what the reasons > behind this might be ?
Different fab requirements for CPU and IO.
> Of course I understand that CPU performance is > all optimised for certain voltages and that device densities would > suffer. But still... a device with a higher supply and I/O voltage > tolerance must surely have many applications ? Anything that runs of > batteries would be easier to design, for instance. So how about > persuading the chaps back at base for us ? :-)
Nop, can't even get them to provide 5V flash memories, instead of 3.3V/1.8V. We tried and failed.