Reply by Jim Stewart December 18, 20062006-12-18
Jim Granville wrote:

> werty wrote: > >> >> I do electronic design and have never used a PLD ..... >> It looks too much like proto typing !! >> You cant sell proto types .... > > > No, PLDs are not used in prototypes; Try things > like some game controller interfaces, and cell phone > expansion units.
Don't feed the troll. For troll verification check out some of his posts on rec.crafts.metalworking.
Reply by Ulf Samuelsson December 18, 20062006-12-18
"Jim Stewart" <jstewart@jkmicro.com> skrev i meddelandet
> larwe wrote: >> Jonathan Kirwan wrote: > >> However I am worried. I'm designing in AVR micros and DataFlash memory, >> and a couple of other divisions use Atmel's RF transceivers. While I >> think AVR will be "core", I'm not so sure about DataFlash (which has >> lots of competition) and the RF stuff (which is niche-y and expensive). > > It is a concern. I've been burned with > fabless flash. Might be good to look at > ST's nand flash. >
Stop using FPGA's then, they are almost all fabless. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
"Jim" <tech@picmodules.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > "larwe" wrote: > > ... >> However I am worried. I'm designing in AVR micros and DataFlash memory, >> and a couple of other divisions use Atmel's RF transceivers. While I >> think AVR will be "core", I'm not so sure about DataFlash (which has >> lots of competition) and the RF stuff (which is niche-y and expensive). > > The RF stuff went in the sale to E2V, although I have had a written > statement from E2V saying that they will continue the RF side (I've > designed into several products), I'm not too convinced. Time to look > elsewhere for longevity I think. > Jim >
E2V is part of the Atmel Grenoble facility, and many of the RF parts are designed/manufactured in Heilbronn. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
Reply by Anton Erasmus December 17, 20062006-12-17
On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 20:24:23 +1300, Jim Granville
<no.spam@designtools.maps.co.nz> wrote:

[snipped]

> [...]
On a virtual machine of course :-)
Reply by Prescott December 17, 20062006-12-17
"larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > werty wrote: > > In 2010 there will be probably more than 5%, though likely less than > 10% more jobs in both hardware and software design, in first world > countries (on a simple headcount basis).
The 20% of tech workers in Silcon Valley that lost their jobs in 2000 have permanently been pruned from the work force. Silicon Valley companies are prospering and hiring again ... in India.
Reply by Jim Granville December 17, 20062006-12-17
werty wrote:

> > I do electronic design and have never used a PLD ..... > It looks too much like proto typing !! > You cant sell proto types ....
No, PLDs are not used in prototypes; Try things like some game controller interfaces, and cell phone expansion units.
> > Its all over , turn out the lights , the party is over for I.C. > corporations . > We dont use what they make ....
Who is 'we' - are you more than one person ? How do you think the newgroup posting you wrote, made its way to my desk ?.
> > By 2010 , 99% S/W 90% h/w workers will be GONE ! > The P4 will stop production , end of 2007 . > Microsoft will be out of business , no one will use its software .. > > > A free shell that "looks and feels " > like WXP will make Linux totally transparent .
and that free Linux that everyone will be using, will run on what, exactly ? -jg
Reply by larwe December 17, 20062006-12-17
werty wrote:

> The P4 Pent' will not be made at end of 2007 .
That may be true, though I can't see why anyone here would give a rat's ass about that particular part. It's obsolete in any case, having been replaced by the Core family. In 2010 there will be probably more than 5%, though likely less than 10% more jobs in both hardware and software design, in first world countries (on a simple headcount basis). You really need a new supplier of whatever drugs it is you're taking; clearly your present connection is cutting the stuff with drain cleaner or something of that ilk. Come back when you've sobered up and wiped the rabid foam off your chin, not before.
Reply by werty December 17, 20062006-12-17

Jim Granville wrote:
> [...]
Reply by werty December 17, 20062006-12-17

 The World  has too many people making too many widgets .
  The demand is not there ...
 The oversupply of workers is 10 times the demand ..

   We dont need Intel , nor Microsoft , nor AMD , ATMEL , H.P.
MicroChip   and hundreds more .

    The P4 Pent' will not be made at end of  2007 .

   Linux  will get a free shell , useable by common people , you
   wont know you are using Linux .   Free ....

  Do you understand what FREE means !!!!

 It makes that 10 times too many workers look like
    1000 times too many workers !!

     Our schools teach that if you get skilled , there will be a job .
 But if machines succeed in doing what those educational systems
 say they will ,      where's the "job"?!!
 , no modern machine needs  a $20/hour worker to push its button ,
 turn its crank ..

   . Thus all  machine jobs , go offshore at $1/hour .
  Do you want to work in  Honduras ?!!

   I laugh when i read Detroit auto workers get $2/hour raise .
  In a free market system , its IMPOSSIBLE to get a job
  in a successful country , all jobs are pushed OFFSHORE
  for labor rates !!
  Just wait til the govt has to shut down all China imports ,
 foe screaming US workers "We want our jobs back " but
 finds they were not makin profits , cause China was subsidized
  by US tax payers/investors  !! It was all phony ...

   Next time you see Intel or Ford workers punching the clock ,
     "see" phony , govt "forced" occupations , that will bankrupt
  the USA in 2015 .

   The USA will lose 250 million jobs .....

 The new "skill" will be capitalist , but  so competitive , you must
earn $10 million min' , just to live here ..
  Rich  people from all over the world will rush here ....

larwe wrote:
> Jonathan Kirwan wrote: > > > This smacks of that, to me. If a company making ICs can't use their > > FABs as well as they can use the money they will get for selling them, > > they probably shouldn't be in the business of running FABs at all. > > This "Fab lite" policy worries me. What about you? > > While I don't fundamentally disagree with anything you've said, I'd > like to point out that there is more to making chips than just a bunch > of equipment and some guy feeding it design files. There is recipe > magic and tribal knowledge that might be impossible to transfer to > other facilities. > > In that vein, some fabs may be staffed solely to provide the > manufacturing magic that supports a product line that isn't profitable. > Some of these facilities might be in Atmel's portfolio because of > acquisitions; i.e. the money shouldn't have been spent. > > The implication from this announcement is that Atmel has excess > production capacity and/or some very underperforming product lines, > neither of which are immediate signs Atmel should get out of the > business; merely signs they need to understand their markets better and > manage their acquisitions with greater care. > > However I am worried. I'm designing in AVR micros and DataFlash memory, > and a couple of other divisions use Atmel's RF transceivers. While I > think AVR will be "core", I'm not so sure about DataFlash (which has > lots of competition) and the RF stuff (which is niche-y and expensive).
Reply by Jonathan Kirwan December 15, 20062006-12-15
On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 13:36:20 +1300, Jim Granville
<no.spam@designtools.maps.co.nz> wrote:

>Jonathan Kirwan wrote: >> One of the really sad things here is that we are talking about 1300 >> employees, as well. It takes a lot of effort to get employees into a >> company, give them desks, walls, phone service, as well as all the >> time invested in the various relationships. All this goes away. ><snip> > > I think the norm is to sell the fabs as 'going concerns', (or >similar to the Nantes sale) - so that means not all the jobs >go away. > Indeed, as you see when Atmel brought Tynside 6 years ago, >it came with a loading commitment from Infineon. > I think that is also common, and in both the buyers and sellers >interests in the short term at least.
That's good news to hear. Thanks, Jon