Reply by Richard Kanarek February 4, 20072007-02-04
Greetings,

The following is a link to a new, bare, 5 ISA slot motherboard. Price:
$5.95.

http://www.bgmicro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=11773

(Home page: www.bgimicro.com)

Need I continue?

Cordially,
Richard Kanarek

Not affiliated with BG Micro except as an occasional (satisfied)
customer.

On 03 Feb 2007 21:23:08 GMT, Albert van der Horst
<albert@spenarnc.xs4all.nl> wrote:

>In article <1169464306.19024.0@iris.uk.clara.net>, >Tom Lucas <news@REMOVE_auto_THIS_flame_TO_REPLY.clara.co.uk> wrote: >>"Paul Burke" <paul@scazon.com> wrote in message >>news:51jjtaF1ki6nlU1@mid.individual.net... >>> Tom Lucas wrote: >>> >>>> >>>> In a bit of a thread hijack, how good is Wine with odd legacy >>>> hardware? I've got an ancient Noral 80188 emulator that needs a >>>> proprietory ISA card in the PC and will only run under DOS. Would >>>> Wine let me use it on a new PC or do you reckon that it would a be a >>>> bit too proprietory for that? >>> >>> I don't think even Linux software will add an ISA slot to your >>> motherboard. >> >><mutter, mutter> Well yes, I shall have to cross the hardware bridge too >>but assuming that I have an ISA slot then is Wine likely to allow me use >>it for the emulator? Of course, I am now less certain that I could >>purchase a motherboard with ISA on it - do they still make them? > >Linux also contains dosemu, that is probably better at running >old DOS software then Wine. At least you will have less overhead, and >an easier time debuggin. > >> >> > > >--
Reply by Albert van der Horst February 3, 20072007-02-03
In article <1169464306.19024.0@iris.uk.clara.net>,
Tom Lucas <news@REMOVE_auto_THIS_flame_TO_REPLY.clara.co.uk> wrote:
>"Paul Burke" <paul@scazon.com> wrote in message >news:51jjtaF1ki6nlU1@mid.individual.net... >> Tom Lucas wrote: >> >>> >>> In a bit of a thread hijack, how good is Wine with odd legacy >>> hardware? I've got an ancient Noral 80188 emulator that needs a >>> proprietory ISA card in the PC and will only run under DOS. Would >>> Wine let me use it on a new PC or do you reckon that it would a be a >>> bit too proprietory for that? >> >> I don't think even Linux software will add an ISA slot to your >> motherboard. > ><mutter, mutter> Well yes, I shall have to cross the hardware bridge too >but assuming that I have an ISA slot then is Wine likely to allow me use >it for the emulator? Of course, I am now less certain that I could >purchase a motherboard with ISA on it - do they still make them?
Linux also contains dosemu, that is probably better at running old DOS software then Wine. At least you will have less overhead, and an easier time debuggin.

-- -- Albert van der Horst, UTRECHT,THE NETHERLANDS Economic growth -- like all pyramid schemes -- ultimately falters. albert@spe&ar&c.xs4all.nl &=n http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst
Reply by Robert Latest January 29, 20072007-01-29
["Followup-To:" header set to sci.electronics.design.]
Joerg wrote:

>> ...while I'd buy that heating your office with wood is >> perhaps actually a little nicer than heating with electricity or gas. >> > > No rushing air, much healthier IMHO.
The primary heat source doesn't make a difference to the helthiness of room climate. Those European-style water-heated radiators make a nice heating, no matter how the water gets hot (I'm saying European-style because all I've ever seen in the US were those AC ducts used for both heating and cooling - quite unpleasant, actually). robert
Reply by Joerg January 28, 20072007-01-28
Joel Kolstad wrote:

> "Joerg" <notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote in message > news:VaOuh.38130$Gr2.22828@newssvr21.news.prodigy.net... > >>Did I mention that we do not own a DVD player at home and that one can >>live just fine without it? > > > I'll ship you one for free if you'd like, Joerg! :-) Just e-mail me your > address... >
Thanks, Joel. But we wouldn't use it at all :-)
> There's nothing wrong with keeping to the technology you already have and > enjoy, although I would suggest that sometimes you may not appreciate newer > technology until you've actually sat down and used it for awhile. There is > a perceptible, positive difference between, e.g., a 1080p big-screen TV and > your 25" analog clunker, ...
True, but we only watch the evening news. And even those only up to the weather forecast. TV doesn't mean much for us.
No rushing air, much healthier IMHO. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com
jasen wrote:

> On 2007-01-22, Joerg <notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote: > > >>Some of my filter design software doesn't come any other way than DOS. >>Never had any problems running it all w/o a clean DOS boot. The only >>catches are the occasional "speed overruns", IOW the program relied on >>some DOS timers or whatever to flag a status but now it blazes by so >>fast that I can't see what the flags read. And the calc speed of those >>old programs on new PCs is phenomenal compared to the early 90's. > > > the timer (0x40:0x1c) is typically well emulated, code that uses timing > loops, however, will fail miserably as processors are now 1000 times > faster than they were in the 80s > > what software is giving you grief? >
Don't remember. As much as I do remember it was WDF filter design routines from Texas Instruments. But AFAIR I found a "fix" on the web to recompile in a way that the main program didn't use fixed timing intervals anymore and that made it work. With the Mildenberger WDF program I still have the issue that some warnings show up for about 100msec and I have to repeat the run several times, reading one word per "flash" to make out what it says. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply by Jan Panteltje January 28, 20072007-01-28
On a sunny day (28 Jan 2007 06:04:17 GMT) it happened jasen
<jasen@free.net.nz> wrote in <ephed1$ksq$1@jasen.is-a-geek.org>:

>On 2007-01-24, Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote: > >>>> In a bit of a thread hijack, how good is Wine with odd legacy hardware? >>> >>>It doesn't do harware at all, all it does is convert (some) windows software >>>into linux software. >> >> This is not completely correct, read the wine myth FAQ. >> http://www.winehq.org/site/myths > >Interesting, but I didn't notice that point being addressed.
windows->linux It specifically mentions other OSses like BSD etc Also 'convert into' is the vaguest formulation of what it does I have seen so far. I think one can say it is pretty much a windows clone using Unix for the IO. (Now somebody will argue with ta). So let's refer to the description on their site.
Reply by jasen January 28, 20072007-01-28
On 2007-01-24, Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> In a bit of a thread hijack, how good is Wine with odd legacy hardware? >> >>It doesn't do harware at all, all it does is convert (some) windows software >>into linux software. > > This is not completely correct, read the wine myth FAQ. > http://www.winehq.org/site/myths
Interesting, but I didn't notice that point being addressed. Bye. Jasen
Reply by jasen January 27, 20072007-01-27
On 2007-01-22, Joerg <notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote:

> Some of my filter design software doesn't come any other way than DOS. > Never had any problems running it all w/o a clean DOS boot. The only > catches are the occasional "speed overruns", IOW the program relied on > some DOS timers or whatever to flag a status but now it blazes by so > fast that I can't see what the flags read. And the calc speed of those > old programs on new PCs is phenomenal compared to the early 90's.
the timer (0x40:0x1c) is typically well emulated, code that uses timing loops, however, will fail miserably as processors are now 1000 times faster than they were in the 80s what software is giving you grief? Bye. Jasen
Reply by David Wilson January 27, 20072007-01-27
On Jan 21, 8:23 am, jasen <j...@free.net.nz> wrote:
> On 2007-01-20, Joerg <notthisjoerg...@removethispacbell.net> wrote: > > BTW, Logitech says on their site that their driver (MouseWare) will not > > support serial mice under 2k and XP. Great. But they did say that 2k and > > XP have native drivers for that. Question is, who knows where?
> Should be under add new hardware. generic serial mouse or similar.
I know my XP laptop supports serial mice because I had to disable it :- ( If I didn't, it treated my GPS unit as a mouse and the cursor jumped all over the screen.
Reply by Joel Kolstad January 27, 20072007-01-27
"Joerg" <notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote in message
> Did I mention that we do not own a DVD player at home and that one can > live just fine without it?
I'll ship you one for free if you'd like, Joerg! :-) Just e-mail me your address... There's nothing wrong with keeping to the technology you already have and enjoy, although I would suggest that sometimes you may not appreciate newer technology until you've actually sat down and used it for awhile. There is a perceptible, positive difference between, e.g., a 1080p big-screen TV and your 25" analog clunker, while I'd buy that heating your office with wood is perhaps actually a little nicer than heating with electricity or gas.
> That the 1950's tube radio here in the office sounds better than them > newfangled MP3 players yet never needed new electrolytics?
I'm told that what most people consider the "better" sound of tubes is what we engineers generally refer to as "distortion." :-) ---Joel