Reply by RusH October 10, 20042004-10-10
Ian McCrum MI5AFL <IJ.McCrum@ulster.ac.uk> wrote :

> re GPIO... > > The book "Embedded Linux" by Craig Hollabaugh has a chapter on > gpio, using both the parallel port and a memory mapped example. > Same text covers SPI and IIC, I think SD/MMC is accessible using > one of those... > > The book "building embedded Linux Systems" by Karim Yaghmour has > some good discussions about flash memory systems, worth a read if > you are going to play with compact flash.
Thank you, I will look in to those. Pozdrawiam. -- RusH // http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019 Like ninjas, true hackers are shrouded in secrecy and mystery. You may never know -- UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE.
Reply by Ian McCrum MI5AFL October 10, 20042004-10-10
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 04:30:38 +0000 (UTC), RusH <logistyka1@pf.pl>
wrote:

>I'v got a mips SoC running Linux kernel, 16(maybe 32 if i sacrifice >some memory) GPIO pins sitting bored (16 can initiate interrupt). There >is also UART port (22MHz clock = very fast, 40ns cycles). >I'm evaluating my options about using them : > >-IDE/CF interface >-SD/MMC interfase ? >-Camera >-LPT (printserver) >-USB host controller ? >-... ? > >I would love to see such a project with a sample code.
re GPIO... The book "Embedded Linux" by Craig Hollabaugh has a chapter on gpio, using both the parallel port and a memory mapped example. Same text covers SPI and IIC, I think SD/MMC is accessible using one of those... The book "building embedded Linux Systems" by Karim Yaghmour has some good discussions about flash memory systems, worth a read if you are going to play with compact flash. Regards Ian McCrum
Reply by RusH October 9, 20042004-10-09
> The notion of doing a USB host controller, even at the 12 Mbs > speed of USB 1.1, by bit-banging GPIO, is rather unlikely to be > successful.
Of course I had in mind a USB host controller chip. Memory mapped chips scary me at the moment. My question was more towards what would be fun / interesting / profitable / to connect with those pins ? At the moment we got very nice platform for a product. I thing we will start with looking at video_in solutions. Ethernet Camera would be quite a seller. Pozdrawiam. -- RusH // http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019 Like ninjas, true hackers are shrouded in secrecy and mystery. You may never know -- UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE.
garykato@aol.com (Gary Kato) wrote :

>>-USB host controller ?
> I'm sure you can do all those with GPIO. You need to hunt down > what those interfaces require as far as protocol. I've heard doing > a USB host is a dunting task but I have not done anything with USB > myself. > > You can use the GPIO bits to talk to an interface chip rather than > doing it all in software.
USB is one of those "I dont think so" (thats why the question mark). I have no idea about the speed of GPIO port and USB is kinda fast (12Mbit). I have absolutelly no experience with USB glue chips :( Low speed USB is another story, that one might be quite easy to implement on those pins (one but - kernel is not realtime). Pozdrawiam. -- RusH // http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019 Like ninjas, true hackers are shrouded in secrecy and mystery. You may never know -- UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE.
"George" <clarkgsmith@comcast.net> wrote :

> was there a question in there somewhere?
there was, but topposters are in some way immune to thinking. Pozdrawiam. -- RusH // http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019 Like ninjas, true hackers are shrouded in secrecy and mystery. You may never know -- UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE.
Reply by Jack Klein October 9, 20042004-10-09
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 04:30:38 +0000 (UTC), RusH <logistyka1@pf.pl> wrote
in comp.arch.embedded:

> I'v got a mips SoC running Linux kernel, 16(maybe 32 if i sacrifice > some memory) GPIO pins sitting bored (16 can initiate interrupt). There > is also UART port (22MHz clock = very fast, 40ns cycles). > I'm evaluating my options about using them : > > -IDE/CF interface > -SD/MMC interfase ? > -Camera > -LPT (printserver) > -USB host controller ? > -... ? > > I would love to see such a project with a sample code.
The notion of doing a USB host controller, even at the 12 Mbs speed of USB 1.1, by bit-banging GPIO, is rather unlikely to be successful. -- Jack Klein Home: http://JK-Technology.Com FAQs for comp.lang.c http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html comp.lang.c++ http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/ alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~ajo/docs/FAQ-acllc.html
Reply by Gary Kato October 8, 20042004-10-08
>-IDE/CF interface >-SD/MMC interfase ? >-Camera >-LPT (printserver) >-USB host controller ? >-... ? >
I'm sure you can do all those with GPIO. You need to hunt down what those interfaces require as far as protocol. I've heard doing a USB host is a dunting task but I have not done anything with USB myself. You can use the GPIO bits to talk to an interface chip rather than doing it all in software. You might want to do a google search for such chips.
Reply by George October 8, 20042004-10-08
I see. you just have some extra pins you dont know what to do with, right?
how about this....   build a robotic hand, with thumb and all, and use those
pins to control the hand, to come out and jack you off, as
desired............  (sorry, in a very cynical mood this morning)
lol............     ;-)

"George" <clarkgsmith@comcast.net> wrote in message
> was there a question in there somewhere? > > > "RusH" <logistyka1@pf.pl> wrote in message > news:Xns957C41A836E58RusHcomputersystems@193.110.122.97... >> I'v got a mips SoC running Linux kernel, 16(maybe 32 if i sacrifice >> some memory) GPIO pins sitting bored (16 can initiate interrupt). There >> is also UART port (22MHz clock = very fast, 40ns cycles). >> I'm evaluating my options about using them : >> >> -IDE/CF interface >> -SD/MMC interfase ? >> -Camera >> -LPT (printserver) >> -USB host controller ? >> -... ? >> >> I would love to see such a project with a sample code. >> >> -- >> Like ninjas, true hackers are shrouded in secrecy and mystery. >> You may never know -- UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE. > >
Reply by George October 8, 20042004-10-08
was there a question in there somewhere?

"RusH" <logistyka1@pf.pl> wrote in message
> I'v got a mips SoC running Linux kernel, 16(maybe 32 if i sacrifice > some memory) GPIO pins sitting bored (16 can initiate interrupt). There > is also UART port (22MHz clock = very fast, 40ns cycles). > I'm evaluating my options about using them : > > -IDE/CF interface > -SD/MMC interfase ? > -Camera > -LPT (printserver) > -USB host controller ? > -... ? > > I would love to see such a project with a sample code. > > -- > Like ninjas, true hackers are shrouded in secrecy and mystery. > You may never know -- UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE.
Reply by RusH October 8, 20042004-10-08
I'v got a mips SoC running Linux kernel, 16(maybe 32 if i sacrifice
some memory) GPIO pins sitting bored (16 can initiate interrupt). There
is also UART port (22MHz clock = very fast, 40ns cycles).
I'm evaluating my options about using them :

-IDE/CF interface
-SD/MMC interfase ?
-Camera
-LPT (printserver)
-USB host controller ?
-... ?

I would love to see such a project with a sample code.