Reply by Chris Hills March 25, 20072007-03-25
In article <C-mdncYLXfCIHpjbnZ2dnUVZ_qCmnZ2d@giganews.com>, mack
<mack.panju@gmail.com> writes
>> > I want to save audio files. I also want to retain information after >the >power is off. We are using 8051, so the writing and reading speed is >that >of the 8051. We also have a budget, to make it at a low cost.
1 WHICH one of the 600 8051 variants are you using? 2 Is this a commercial project or one for collage? 3 What size budget do you have? 4 What sort of size production are you looking at? 5 SMS or TXT grammar is usually refered to as WKS or Wanky Kid Speak and if David had not picked you up on it the other would have. SMS grammar is fine for the phone to your mates but not when in a professional environment asking for help. -- \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/ /\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/\ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Reply by Donald March 24, 20072007-03-24
mack wrote:
>>mack wrote: >> >>>Well thank you Sir for reminding me that SMS language should not be > > used > >>>at such important places. For a project work instead of using memory > > IC's > >>>(chips), I want to use some other memory device. The controller we are >>>using is 8051. Can I use SD card as memory device for porject work? > > What > >>>processor speed does SD card require? >> >>You could use just about any "memory device" with an 8051. >>It all depends on what requirements you have. >> >>What kind of information (code or data), how much (1 bit? Gigabytes?) >>and for how long (do you need to retain the information when power >>is off)? Do you have speed requirements on reading or writing? Do >>you have a budget? >> >>If you answer at least some of the above, you stand a better chance >>of getting a sensible answer. >> >>Just trying to help... >> >></A> >> > I want to save audio files. I also want to retain information after the > power is off. We are using 8051, so the writing and reading speed is that > of the 8051. We also have a budget, to make it at a low cost. >
Which 8051 are you intending on using ? A standard (12x) 8051, or a 100Mhz 8051 ? The writing and reading speed is a function of the device you decide to use, not the 8051. Are the audio files going to be recorded by the 8051 or played back by the 8051 ? If you use a Flash Card ( with an SPI interface ) does it need to be compatable with a PC ? Do a google for 8051 + mp3 players. You will find all forms of storage devices connected to 8051 devices. Some can record audio some can not. We can all keep guessing where this will lead or you can keep it to yourself. The more information you give up front, the sooner you can get a real answer. good luck donald
Reply by mack March 24, 20072007-03-24
>mack wrote: >> Well thank you Sir for reminding me that SMS language should not be
used
>> at such important places. For a project work instead of using memory
IC's
>> (chips), I want to use some other memory device. The controller we are >> using is 8051. Can I use SD card as memory device for porject work?
What
>> processor speed does SD card require? > >You could use just about any "memory device" with an 8051. >It all depends on what requirements you have. > >What kind of information (code or data), how much (1 bit? Gigabytes?) >and for how long (do you need to retain the information when power >is off)? Do you have speed requirements on reading or writing? Do >you have a budget? > >If you answer at least some of the above, you stand a better chance >of getting a sensible answer. > >Just trying to help... > ></A> >
I want to save audio files. I also want to retain information after the power is off. We are using 8051, so the writing and reading speed is that of the 8051. We also have a budget, to make it at a low cost.
Reply by wertyWasHere March 22, 20072007-03-22

"mack" <mack.panju@gmail.com> wrote in message
> can any1 please tell me, wat other storage devices i can use other than > memory chips with microcontroller 8051... > >
You can store a complete 8051 core in a XYLINX these days.... Or sumtimz I store in my cellfon.
Reply by Neil March 20, 20072007-03-20
mack wrote:
>> mack wrote: >>> can any1 please tell me, wat other storage devices i can use other > than >>> memory chips with microcontroller 8051... >>> >>> >> You can store your 8051 chips in a drawer, on a shelf, or in a cupboard. > >> Most cardboard boxes should also be compatible. >> >> If you want more useful answers, cut out the 13-year-old SMS spelling, >> find your keyboard's shift key, and then post again with some >> information about what you want to achieve. >> > > Well thank you Sir for reminding me that SMS language should not be used > at such important places. For a project work instead of using memory IC's > (chips), I want to use some other memory device. The controller we are > using is 8051. Can I use SD card as memory device for porject work? What > processor speed does SD card require?
1) search a little. Goggle is you friend. 2) Yes many have done it. 3) they have also connected Hard drives, CD ROMs, and USB memork sticks with a little more Hardware. 4) SEARCH on 8052.com you will find the topic discussed previously there.
Reply by Wim Ton March 19, 20072007-03-19
"mack" <mack.panju@gmail.com> wrote in message
> can any1 please tell me, wat other storage devices i can use other than > memory chips with microcontroller 8051... >
IDE Harddisk. Has been published in Elektor magazine a few years back. Audio cassete tape (as was common in the 70ties) Floppy Wim
Reply by Anders March 19, 20072007-03-19
mack wrote:
> Well thank you Sir for reminding me that SMS language should not be used > at such important places. For a project work instead of using memory IC's > (chips), I want to use some other memory device. The controller we are > using is 8051. Can I use SD card as memory device for porject work? What > processor speed does SD card require?
You could use just about any "memory device" with an 8051. It all depends on what requirements you have. What kind of information (code or data), how much (1 bit? Gigabytes?) and for how long (do you need to retain the information when power is off)? Do you have speed requirements on reading or writing? Do you have a budget? If you answer at least some of the above, you stand a better chance of getting a sensible answer. Just trying to help... </A>
Reply by Peter Dickerson March 19, 20072007-03-19
<cs_posting@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mar 19, 9:47 am, "mack" <mack.pa...@gmail.com> wrote: > >> Well thank you Sir for reminding me that SMS language should not be used >> at such important places. For a project work instead of using memory IC's >> (chips), I want to use some other memory device. The controller we are >> using is 8051. Can I use SD card as memory device for porject work? What >> processor speed does SD card require? > > As a guess, the SPI mode should work at any non-zero clock rate.
At a guess, and non-zero clock rate <= 25MHz and <= 400kHz during identification. The min is apparently 0/100kHz which is hard for me to get my head round. Peter
Reply by linnix March 19, 20072007-03-19
On Mar 19, 4:31 am, "mack" <mack.pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> can any1 please tell me, wat other storage devices i can use other than > memory chips with microcontroller 8051...
You can use Large Embedded Gigabyte System with an Arm.
Reply by March 19, 20072007-03-19