Reply by The Real Andy March 28, 20072007-03-28
On 25 Mar 2007 10:25:49 -0700, "hassanishome"
<hassanishome@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi, >I am studying now a subject called 'Microcontroller 8051" >What is the benifits of this subject >I am mastering Computer Eng. >What I can do with this Controller and subject in future? >Thank you
I think most have missed the point. Its about learning the fundamentals of programming a computer or microcontroller for the pedantic. What can you do with the controller? Probably nothing as a CE. What can you do with the subject? As I said, you will use it as a fundamental basis to how computers work. Even the modern duocore pentiums still use microcode and instructions. They still use registers and memory. ITs all the same, just on a larger scale. Understand this subject and you will probably outperform most CE's.
Reply by David Brown March 27, 20072007-03-27
Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2007-03-27, David Brown <david@westcontrol.removethisbit.com> wrote: > >>>> In English, the plurality of the verb always matches the >>>> subject - it's not just an American thing. There will be the >>>> some variations from place to place, but anyone writing "HP >>>> have strong tech support" is not writing grammatically correct >>>> English. >>> Odd. "HP have" and "Manchester have" are the usages I always >>> hear on the BBC. It's what I remember hearing in Englad as >>> well. England. It's possible I heard both and only noticed the >>> usage that was unfamiliar, but I've also read about it as one >>> of the differences between US and British English. >> It will perhaps depend on the context. If by "Manchester" they are >> referring to the football players, rather than the team, > > I guess I don't really see the distinction. > >> then it is possible that they would say "Manchester have >> played well today", for example. > > In the US it would always be "Manchester has played well > today". > >> But normally, "Manchester" would refer to the city, or a >> football team, and be a singular noun. > > How is the "Manchester" in "Manchester have played well today" > not referring to the football team? >
My point is that "Manchester has played well" is the usual thing to say in Britain too. If someone were to say "Manchester have played", they are simply abbreviating for "The Manchester players have played...". And I doubt if the "have" version is said much in the UK, and certainly not by people who have a reasonable command of English grammar.
Reply by March 27, 20072007-03-27
On Mar 26, 9:37 am, Pete Fenelon <p...@stratos.fenelon.com> wrote:
> cs_post...@hotmail.com wrote: > > > If he were is some sort of abbreviated trade-school program, intended > > to teach students to "do" rather than to "think" then it might be > > important to target whatever processor they would soon be expected to > > use. Of course that might still be an 8051! > > Like about 90% of so-called 'engineering' courses these days? - > particularly ones in countries to which stuff is outsourced, where > 'textbook' answers and plagiarism are more widely tolerated? ;)
Textbook answers are tolerated in most real-world situations if they prove sufficient. Plagarism, at least of the "buy it rather than build it from scratch" form is also often desireable. Going to engineering school is about learning for the long term; being an engineer is on a day to day basis about getting stuff to work today. Needless to say, there can be a big difference between the two. My impression is that your typical "outsourcing countries" have in fact begun some efforts towards building genuine research universities, as they are no longer operating just on a day-to-day basis for which trade schools were sufficient. It doesn't seem like doing the low-end work alone is their long range plan.
Reply by Grant Edwards March 27, 20072007-03-27
On 2007-03-27, David Brown <david@westcontrol.removethisbit.com> wrote:

>>> In English, the plurality of the verb always matches the >>> subject - it's not just an American thing. There will be the >>> some variations from place to place, but anyone writing "HP >>> have strong tech support" is not writing grammatically correct >>> English. >> >> Odd. "HP have" and "Manchester have" are the usages I always >> hear on the BBC. It's what I remember hearing in Englad as >> well. England. It's possible I heard both and only noticed the >> usage that was unfamiliar, but I've also read about it as one >> of the differences between US and British English. > > It will perhaps depend on the context. If by "Manchester" they are > referring to the football players, rather than the team,
I guess I don't really see the distinction.
> then it is possible that they would say "Manchester have > played well today", for example.
In the US it would always be "Manchester has played well today".
> But normally, "Manchester" would refer to the city, or a > football team, and be a singular noun.
How is the "Manchester" in "Manchester have played well today" not referring to the football team? -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! at FISH-NET-FISH-NET-FISH-NET-FISH-NET-FISH!! visi.com
Reply by APS March 27, 20072007-03-27
It seems you know a lot about 'engineering' courses in 'countries' where
**stuff is outsourced**?? What do you intend to say?? textbook answers and
plagiarism are more widely tolerated than *where*???

Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2007-03-26, rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote: > >>>>> No, it isn't. British English speakers would also say "The Vikings >>>>> have", and "Minnesota has". >>>> You should tell that to the BBC. Their newsreaders always use >>>> plural verbs with singular collective nouns such as sports >>>> teams, corporations, and government entities. >>>>> In English, the plurality of the verb always matches the >>>>> subject - it's not just an American thing. There will be the >>>>> some variations from place to place, but anyone writing "HP >>>>> have strong tech support" is not writing grammatically correct >>>>> English. >>>> Odd. "HP have" and "Manchester have" are the usages I always >>>> hear on the BBC. It's what I remember hearing in Englad as >>>> well. England. It's possible I heard both and only noticed the >>>> usage that was unfamiliar, but I've also read about it as one >>>> of the differences between US and British English. >>> Yes, but the BBC (once guardian of the English language) cannot get through >>> a weather forecast on the radio now without referring to "bits and pieces of >>> rain". What the hell is that supposed to mean? I would not take them as a >>> good reference. >> This is so rediculous! Now people in the US are criticizing the Brits >> for how they speak "English"!!! > > Sheesh, nobody's criticising anybody -- except for making fun of > TV weather people, and you can't deny that many of them deserve > it. ;) > > We're merely have a civilized discussion on differences between > two dialects of a language. It is off-topic, I admit... >
Have you heard John Cleese' summary of the differences between the USA and the UK? 1. We speak English, and they don't. 2. When we hold a "world series", we invite people from other countries. 3. When you meet the head of state of Britain, you only have to go down on one knee. mvh., David
Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2007-03-26, David Brown <david@westcontrol.removethisbit.com> wrote: > >>> For example, there's a "Minnestoa Vikings" football team. In >>> the us you say: >>> >>> The Vikings have a good chance to win. ("Vikings" is plural) >>> Minnesota has a good chance to win. ("Minnesota" is singular) >>> >>> In the UK, both would be treated as plural and "have" would be >>> used. >>> >>> That's just the way it is. >> No, it isn't. British English speakers would also say "The Vikings >> have", and "Minnesota has". > > You should tell that to the BBC. Their newsreaders always use > plural verbs with singular collective nouns such as sports > teams, corporations, and government entities. > >> In English, the plurality of the verb always matches the >> subject - it's not just an American thing. There will be the >> some variations from place to place, but anyone writing "HP >> have strong tech support" is not writing grammatically correct >> English. > > Odd. "HP have" and "Manchester have" are the usages I always > hear on the BBC. It's what I remember hearing in Englad as > well. England. It's possible I heard both and only noticed the > usage that was unfamiliar, but I've also read about it as one > of the differences between US and British English. >
It will perhaps depend on the context. If by "Manchester" they are referring to the football players, rather than the team, then it is possible that they would say "Manchester have played well today", for example. But normally, "Manchester" would refer to the city, or a football team, and be a singular noun. I can't think of any context in which "HP have" would sound right. It's is possible, as you say, that you've heard both - just because "HP have" is incorrect, does not mean that people don't say it (even on the BBC). And it is quite conceivable that for some reason, this mistake is more common in the UK than the US.
Reply by March 26, 20072007-03-26
"rickman" <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > I guess the head wacks can explain a lot... >
Why, are you looking for one? Oh yes, you're another one of these people who posts questions then buggers off. Or throws your oar in just for the sake of it. You're from Telesales aren't you?
Reply by Grant Edwards March 26, 20072007-03-26
On 2007-03-26, rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
Sheesh, nobody's criticising anybody -- except for making fun of TV weather people, and you can't deny that many of them deserve it. ;) We're merely have a civilized discussion on differences between two dialects of a language. It is off-topic, I admit... -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! Finally, Zippy at drives his 1958 RAMBLER visi.com METROPOLITAN into the faculty dining room.
Reply by Paul Keinanen March 26, 20072007-03-26
On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 12:42:20 -0600, msg <msg@_cybertheque.org_> wrote:

>FreeRTOS.org wrote: > >> Sorry to be OT for the question being asked, but what exactly are you >> mastering? I see this stated a lot in emails/forums/newsgroups and think >> there is possibly something missing in my translation. >> >Now that you have opened this door, I feel obliged to add these queries: > >1. Why do posts from certain regions substitute the word 'doubt' for 'question'? > E.G. "I have a doubt about SPI on this mcu." > >2. Why do English speakers east of about -50 deg. lon. refer to a company > in the possessive as plural? E.G. "Hewlett Packard have strong tech support" > instead of "Hewlett Packard has strong tech support". I've seen this > as the rule and not the exception from the U.K.
There is not much point in this context arguing about the differences between British and American English, since this is a minor problem, when trying to understand what others are saying. This is an international newsgroup with lots of people with English as their second or third language and people try hard to understand each other despite some grammatical errors. After all broken English seems to be the most common language in the world :-). However, in recent years, more and more students with only a very basic skill in English have posted requests in this newsgroup. I have often wondered, how these persons are going to understand for instance product data sheets written in English. When designing new products, there is often a need to write various technical documents for your partners abroad and even manuals for the end users. Some of the end user manuals are horrible, either because they are written by a technical person with very basic skills in English or translated by a professional translator without understanding at all the subject. When the product is marketed in non-English speaking countries, this English nonsense is translated to the local language and the translation makes even less sense :-). Even when the embedded designer is working for a sufficient large company with professional translators, the embedded engineer should be sufficiently fluent in English, in order to be able to check that the translator has correctly understood your text in your native language. Thus, I would strongly recommend that anyone planning to work with embedded systems to study English, since it is vital to get information for any design job and also to publish your work for a larger audience. By the way, the only thing that i know about in heavy industry e.g. steam turbines, I learned from the English lessons in the technical university, even if I studied electronics :-). Paul