Reply by Meindert Sprang October 7, 20042004-10-07
"Meindert Sprang" <mhsprang@NOcustomSPAMware.nl> wrote in message
> Hi all, > > I have a very annoying problem: I have an existing design with an > ATmega8515, with an ISP connector setup as specified in one of the Atmel > appnotes about implementing an ISP connector. It uses a network on the
reset
> line, with a 10k resistor to VCC, a 4n7 cap to ground and a diode across
the
> resistor for protection. This has always worked on a 2313, a 8515 and a > Mega8515. I recently upgraded the design to a Mega162 and since then 1 out > of three times the board refuses to have the configuration fuses
programmed.
> Also reading the chip ID gives random results many times. Once the fuses
are
> programmed successfully (to use an external crystal at 8MHz), everything > runs fine and the code can be programmed too. >
Ok guys, thanks for all the suggestions. I completely failed to notice the -! option to set the clock frequency. I have set it to 1MHz and all devices program fine now. Regards, Meindert
Reply by Meindert Sprang October 6, 20042004-10-06
"Carsten" <xnews1@luna.kyed.com> wrote in message
> >the problem could be the SPI timing. The mega162 runs at 1MHz when the > >fuses are not programmed. > > > >There is a command in the STK500 protocol to slow down the SPI. > >However, I don't know about the STK500 utility, because I use Linux. > > If that is the problem then > Just lower the STK500 clock on the first programming , until fuses are > set correctly.
And the $64.000 question is: How? Meindert
Reply by Carsten October 6, 20042004-10-06
>the problem could be the SPI timing. The mega162 runs at 1MHz when the >fuses are not programmed. > >There is a command in the STK500 protocol to slow down the SPI. >However, I don't know about the STK500 utility, because I use Linux.
If that is the problem then Just lower the STK500 clock on the first programming , until fuses are set correctly. Carsten
Reply by Jan-Hinnerk Reichert October 6, 20042004-10-06
Meindert Sprang wrote:

> Hi all, > > I have a very annoying problem: I have an existing design with an > ATmega8515, with an ISP connector setup as specified in one of the > Atmel appnotes about implementing an ISP connector. It uses a > network on the reset line, with a 10k resistor to VCC, a 4n7 cap to > ground and a diode across the resistor for protection. This has > always worked on a 2313, a 8515 and a Mega8515. I recently upgraded > the design to a Mega162 and since then 1 out of three times the > board refuses to have the configuration fuses programmed. Also > reading the chip ID gives random results many times. Once the fuses > are programmed successfully (to use an external crystal at 8MHz), > everything runs fine and the code can be programmed too. > > Can anyone shed some light on this? > > Meindert
Hi Meindert, the problem could be the SPI timing. The mega162 runs at 1MHz when the fuses are not programmed. There is a command in the STK500 protocol to slow down the SPI. However, I don't know about the STK500 utility, because I use Linux. /Jan-Hinnerk
Reply by October 4, 20042004-10-04
On Monday, in article
     <4161940c$0$23961$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch> none@none.net
     "Rene Tschaggelar" wrote:

>Meindert Sprang wrote: > >> "dmm" <dmmilne_removethis_@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message >> news:3pj2m05gecomonlpmc2ubn5h1rabugcljd@4ax.com... >> >> >>>Try PonyProg from www.lancos.com >> >> >> Wouldn't it be logical that the tools from Atmel would work? :-) > >Not necessarily. >Similar to Microchip, software is not thir business. >It took Microchip about 10 years after the release of >23bit windows to come out with a 32bit MPLAB.
Reply by Rene Tschaggelar October 4, 20042004-10-04
Meindert Sprang wrote:

> "dmm" <dmmilne_removethis_@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message > news:3pj2m05gecomonlpmc2ubn5h1rabugcljd@4ax.com... > > >>Try PonyProg from www.lancos.com > > > Wouldn't it be logical that the tools from Atmel would work? :-)
Not necessarily. Similar to Microchip, software is not thir business. It took Microchip about 10 years after the release of 23bit windows to come out with a 32bit MPLAB. Just in case : There is a Pascal compiler for the AVR that comes with programmer. http://www.e-lab.de , including libraries, forum and the lot. Rene -- Ing.Buero R.Tschaggelar - http://www.ibrtses.com & commercial newsgroups - http://www.talkto.net
Reply by Lewin A.R.W. Edwards October 4, 20042004-10-04
Hi Meindert,

> Mega8515. I recently upgraded the design to a Mega162 and since then 1 out > of three times the board refuses to have the configuration fuses programmed.
Just a thought - Is your STK500 using the latest latest firmware as included with the latest build of AVR Studio?
Reply by Meindert Sprang October 4, 20042004-10-04
"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" <larwe@larwe.com> wrote in message
> Hi Meindert, > > > Mega8515. I recently upgraded the design to a Mega162 and since then 1
out
> > of three times the board refuses to have the configuration fuses
programmed.
> > Just a thought - Is your STK500 using the latest latest firmware as > included with the latest build of AVR Studio?
I'm not quite sure. I haven't downloaded the latest version yet, so that might be the problem. The STK500 utility itself is V1.40. I'll check that anyway. Thanks for the hint. Meindert
Reply by Meindert Sprang October 4, 20042004-10-04
"dmm" <dmmilne_removethis_@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

> Try PonyProg from www.lancos.com
Wouldn't it be logical that the tools from Atmel would work? :-) Meindert
Reply by dmm October 4, 20042004-10-04