Reply by Oliver Betz May 24, 20072007-05-24
RobertTeufelDUS@gmail.com wrote:

>> are there really still no small (e.g. 128K Flash, 100 Pins) ARM7 >> derivatives with non-intrusive realtime memory access? >> >> As far as I see, they all need an interrupt routine to send >> information to the host.
[...]
>I'll give it one more shot. Have a look here: >http://www.keil.com/support/man/docs/ulink2/ulink2_realtime_agent.asp?bhcp=1 >This program, the real-time agent will work during your "idle task" >and display or even modify memory.
that's waht I meant by "As far as I see, they all need an interrupt routine to send information to the host".
>What you are looking for is called history. A bond out emulator were
No.
>every bus, including the internal memory bus is accessible to an >outside supervisor processor. This supervisor can watch all memories >but as soon as you try to modify anything, you will interfere with >real-time. This concept has two major disadvantages: Number one, it is >too expensive, number two, it is too expensive ;-) actually number tow
Read about the Freescale BDM in the HC(S)12 and the S08. It reads from target memory usually without any effect on the target. The Coldfire BDM also reads from a running target, but this causes a slight delay. Certainly they let me also write to the target memory, but that's no more "non-intrusive" <g>. But it's a great tool during system test and optimization. I put many settings or status indicators in global variables during development and can test and tweak the system like I test and tweak hardware with a scope and trimpots on a breadboard. Oliver -- Oliver Betz, Munich despammed.com might be broken, use Reply-To:
Reply by May 24, 20072007-05-24
On May 18, 4:06 am, Oliver Betz <o...@despammed.com> wrote:
> Hello All, > > are there really still no small (e.g. 128K Flash, 100 Pins) ARM7 > derivatives with non-intrusive realtime memory access? > > As far as I see, they all need an interrupt routine to send > information to the host. > > Maybe I didn't search hard enough? > > Oliver > -- > Oliver Betz, Munich > despammed.com might be broken, use Reply-To:
OK, I'll give it one more shot. Have a look here: http://www.keil.com/support/man/docs/ulink2/ulink2_realtime_agent.asp?bhcp=1 This program, the real-time agent will work during your "idle task" and display or even modify memory. What you are looking for is called history. A bond out emulator were every bus, including the internal memory bus is accessible to an outside supervisor processor. This supervisor can watch all memories but as soon as you try to modify anything, you will interfere with real-time. This concept has two major disadvantages: Number one, it is too expensive, number two, it is too expensive ;-) actually number tow is that bond-out chips and production chips were always a little diffrerent, so sometimes you debugged the bondout for problems that your real device did not have and sometimes the bondout did not show the problem of your real device. It is a good thing that this is part of microcontroller history! Robert
Reply by Ulf Samuelsson May 22, 20072007-05-22
"Robert Adsett" <sub2@aeolusdevelopment.com> skrev i meddelandet
> In article <464fa64b.158417832@z1.oliverbetz.de>, Oliver Betz says... >> Jim Granville wrote: >> >> >> are there really still no small (e.g. 128K Flash, 100 Pins) ARM7 >> >> derivatives with non-intrusive realtime memory access? >> >> >> >> As far as I see, they all need an interrupt routine to send >> >> information to the host. >> >> >"non-intrusive realtime memory access" in debug is quite a big ask. >> >> Let's call it "nearly non intrusive" or "without ISR". > > What about trace instead? The NXP variants at least provide access to > trace via the ETM. Not the same as being able to query a memory > location directly but it may get you what you need and it doesn't stop > the micro, unlike JTAG access. > > Robert > > --
Trace will not allow you to modify variables... -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
Reply by Robert Adsett May 22, 20072007-05-22
In article <464fa64b.158417832@z1.oliverbetz.de>, Oliver Betz says...
> Jim Granville wrote: > > >> are there really still no small (e.g. 128K Flash, 100 Pins) ARM7 > >> derivatives with non-intrusive realtime memory access? > >> > >> As far as I see, they all need an interrupt routine to send > >> information to the host. > > >"non-intrusive realtime memory access" in debug is quite a big ask. > > Let's call it "nearly non intrusive" or "without ISR".
What about trace instead? The NXP variants at least provide access to trace via the ETM. Not the same as being able to query a memory location directly but it may get you what you need and it doesn't stop the micro, unlike JTAG access. Robert -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
Reply by Oliver Betz May 22, 20072007-05-22
"Ulf Samuelsson" wrote:

> [...]
[...]
>> But the AVR32 isn't an ARM7 derivative, as requested by the OP, is it?
>Yes, but he asked for something which does not exist. >The ARM JTAG will halt the CPU during accesses.
You mean that there are no ARM7 derivatives allowing background memory access? Paul Gotch mentioned "Coresight" last year, but I don't know whether it does what I mean. Anyway, I'm 99% sure now to use a MCF5213 - not only for the debugging but also because it has a pretty fast A/D-Converter. Oliver -- Oliver Betz, Munich despammed.com might be broken, use Reply-To:
Reply by Ulf Samuelsson May 22, 20072007-05-22
Yes, but he asked for something which does not exist. The ARM JTAG will halt the CPU during accesses. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
Reply by Oliver Betz May 21, 20072007-05-21
RobertTeufelDUS@gmail.com wrote:

[...]

>there are many devices in the NXP LPC2000 family with ETM (Embedded >Trace Macrocell). This provides an option to trace the execution in >realtime without any CPU participation / distraction. The side effect
I don't konow the capabilities of the ETM, but "trace the execution" is different from "access memory". Again: I mainly want to watch and edit variables while the program is running. Oliver -- Oliver Betz, Munich despammed.com might be broken, use Reply-To:
Reply by May 21, 20072007-05-21
On May 18, 4:06 am, Oliver Betz <o...@despammed.com> wrote:
> Hello All, > > are there really still no small (e.g. 128K Flash, 100 Pins) ARM7 > derivatives with non-intrusive realtime memory access? > > As far as I see, they all need an interrupt routine to send > information to the host. > > Maybe I didn't search hard enough? > > Oliver > -- > Oliver Betz, Munich > despammed.com might be broken, use Reply-To:
Hi Oliver, there are many devices in the NXP LPC2000 family with ETM (Embedded Trace Macrocell). This provides an option to trace the execution in realtime without any CPU participation / distraction. The side effect is that you need to use 10 pins of the device and you need a trace emulator. Lowest cost trace probably J-Trace from www.segger.com. Robert
Reply by May 21, 20072007-05-21
On May 18, 4:06 am, Oliver Betz <o...@despammed.com> wrote:
> Hello All, > > are there really still no small (e.g. 128K Flash, 100 Pins) ARM7 > derivatives with non-intrusive realtime memory access? > > As far as I see, they all need an interrupt routine to send > information to the host. > > Maybe I didn't search hard enough? > > Oliver > -- > Oliver Betz, Munich > despammed.com might be broken, use Reply-To:
Hi Oliver, there are many devices in the NXP LPC2000 family with ETM (Embedded Trace Macrocell). This provides an option to trace the execution in realtime without any CPU participation / distraction. The side effect is that you need to use 10 pins of the device and you need a trace emulator. Lowest cost trace probably J-Trace from www.segger.com. Robert
Reply by Peter Dickerson May 21, 20072007-05-21