Reply by Peter Jakacki June 10, 20072007-06-10
ElderUberGeek wrote:
> Anyone know of a micro that has 5-6 UARTS that can each run a > different baud rate? (meaning not the same clock). Oh, and a TCP stack > would be nice also....
Yes, there are some micros out there that have umpteen uarts but they usually come with a lot of other baggage (useful if you need it, but baggage otherwise). The Parallax Propeller has no uarts at all and yet will be quite happy to run 8 high-speed full-duplex uarts or more as the chip is basically comprised of eight 32-bit 20MIP CPUs in the one QFP44 pack. Just add a 5MHz rock and a I2C EEPROM for your code and you are set. Standard software objects cover a wide range of applications including serial coms, I2C, SPI, SD cards etc. I've worked with a great many micro families and you just can't go past this one. Seeing is believing. *Peter*
Reply by Mark Borgerson June 8, 20072007-06-08
In article <v20963p087fc8c5aip7vp9dmkcj96cj624@4ax.com>, keinanen@sci.fi
says...
> On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 05:54:34 -0700, ElderUberGeek <aribloch@gmail.com> > wrote: > > > > >Anyone know of a micro that has 5-6 UARTS that can each run a > >different baud rate? (meaning not the same clock). > > At least the Motorola MC68360 has four SCC ports and two SMC ports, in > in which four different clock generators can be used. > > In the Freescale MPC82xx series something more appropriate might be > found. > > Paul >
Just about any Freescale MPU with a TPU should be able to handle 5 or 6 channels at modest baud rates if there are not a lot of simultaneous continuous inputs. When programmed as a UART input or output, the TPU generates an interrupt for each byte transferred. That makes efficient queue handling a priority item. I did an oceanographic data logger in this fashion more than 15 years ago with a 16-Mhz 68332. Mark Borgerson
Reply by Paul Keinanen June 4, 20072007-06-04
wrote:

> >Anyone know of a micro that has 5-6 UARTS that can each run a >different baud rate? (meaning not the same clock).
At least the Motorola MC68360 has four SCC ports and two SMC ports, in in which four different clock generators can be used. In the Freescale MPC82xx series something more appropriate might be found. Paul
Reply by Didi June 4, 20072007-06-04
On Jun 4, 3:54 pm, ElderUberGeek <aribl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone know of a micro that has 5-6 UARTS that can each run a > different baud rate? (meaning not the same clock). Oh, and a TCP stack > would be nice also.... > > Thanks
Have a look at the MPC5200B. Has 6 UARTS (which can do a lot of things, UART being their most basic function), also a 10/100 Ethernet, USB, ATA, PCI, DDRAM and some more. Costs $18 at 1000+, I saw it stocked around $25 at Digikey (1 piece price). With the 400 MHz PPC core inside, you'll likely have more than ehough horsepowers. Oh, the whole thing consumes 1 Watt at full power (memory etc. apart). Dimiter ------------------------------------------------------ Dimiter Popoff Transgalactic Instruments http://www.tgi-sci.com ------------------------------------------------------
Reply by Pete Fenelon June 4, 20072007-06-04
ElderUberGeek <aribloch@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Pete. Well, I guess you could say I want to run it as a router of > sorts, but not from the angle of running IP over the serials. The > thing is that there is a device that has only one serial connection, > yet I need to interface several other serial devices to it (and yah, > one IP also). What's more, the serials are all different (some 485 > some 232) and different baud rates....
From the IP point of view almost any of the stacks that have been ported to the Star12 will be fine in that case. My concern was if you wanted to have it routing between two or more SLIP or IP-over-PPP links - I think there are few stacks ported to 8-bit devices that do routing properly! The Star12 will be able to handle the rest of the comms with no problems ;) pete -- pete@fenelon.com "how many clever men have called the sun a fool?"
Reply by Vladimir Vassilevsky June 4, 20072007-06-04

ElderUberGeek wrote:

> Anyone know of a micro that has 5-6 UARTS that can each run a > different baud rate? (meaning not the same clock). Oh, and a TCP stack > would be nice also....
In the addition to the other good advices, it is worth mentioning the standalone multichannel UARTs made by Oxford Semi. Also, if it is sufficient to provide for the bit rates of up to 38400, any fast microcontroller would easily do 5-6 independent UARTs by bit banging. Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant http://www.abvolt.com
Reply by ElderUberGeek June 4, 20072007-06-04
On Jun 4, 8:05 pm, Pete Fenelon <p...@stratos.fenelon.com> wrote:
> > The Freescale "Star12" family have plenty of UARTs and I'm aware of at > least one TCP/IP stack for it, although I'm not sure if that stack > is still an actively maintained product. > > Do you want to use the device as a router (i.e. do you want to run IP > over several of the UARTs? - that might affect the choice of stack). > > pete
Hi Pete. Well, I guess you could say I want to run it as a router of sorts, but not from the angle of running IP over the serials. The thing is that there is a device that has only one serial connection, yet I need to interface several other serial devices to it (and yah, one IP also). What's more, the serials are all different (some 485 some 232) and different baud rates....
Reply by Pete Fenelon June 4, 20072007-06-04
ElderUberGeek <aribloch@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyone know of a micro that has 5-6 UARTS that can each run a > different baud rate? (meaning not the same clock). Oh, and a TCP stack > would be nice also.... >
The Freescale "Star12" family have plenty of UARTs and I'm aware of at least one TCP/IP stack for it, although I'm not sure if that stack is still an actively maintained product. Do you want to use the device as a router (i.e. do you want to run IP over several of the UARTs? - that might affect the choice of stack). pete -- pete@fenelon.com "how many clever men have called the sun a fool?"
Reply by Andy Sinclair June 4, 20072007-06-04
ElderUberGeek wrote:

> >Anyone know of a micro that has 5-6 UARTS that can each run a >different baud rate? (meaning not the same clock). Oh, and a TCP stack >would be nice also.... > >Thanks
The MC9S12XDP512 has 6. The forthcoming XDE series has 8. Andy
Reply by ElderUberGeek June 4, 20072007-06-04
On Jun 4, 6:40 pm, "Steve at fivetrees" <s...@NOSPAMTAfivetrees.com>
wrote:
> "ElderUberGeek" <aribl...@gmail.com> wrote in message > > news:1180961674.704823.173120@n15g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > > > > > Anyone know of a micro that has 5-6 UARTS that can each run a > > different baud rate? (meaning not the same clock). Oh, and a TCP stack > > would be nice also.... > > The Rabbit series fits your bill. > > Stevehttp://www.fivetrees.com
Yes, only that Rabbit SBC is more expensive than a single chip. Anyway, I will have a look to refresh the old noodle... Thanks