Reply by Roger Hamlett July 15, 20072007-07-15
"clifto" <clifot@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Roger Hamlett wrote: >> If (for instance), you have a 3mm shaft, and 10mm balls, the casing has >> to >> have an internal diameter of 26mm, and the ratio is 26/3 = 8.66:1. > > I could be missing something, but at first glance I read the radius as > the diameter of the 10mm ball (10mm) plus half the diameter of the 3mm > shaft (1.5mm) and get 23mm internal diameter, ratio of 23:3 or 7.66:1. > > Just in case this turns out to be a corecktion I've included speling > erors to comply with tradishun.
Yes. Sorry, I just added up the internal diameter wrong.... It is fairly simple to visualise what is happening, if you realise that the balls are rolling round the internal diameter of the casing, driven by the small shaft at the centre, and for the assembly of three balls to complete one complete turn, their surfaces, must travel the internal diameter of the outer casing. Since the surfaces of the balls are driven by the internal shaft, you get the ratio from the ratio of these two diameters. Best Wishes
Reply by clifto July 15, 20072007-07-15
Roger Hamlett wrote:
> If (for instance), you have a 3mm shaft, and 10mm balls, the casing has to > have an internal diameter of 26mm, and the ratio is 26/3 = 8.66:1.
I could be missing something, but at first glance I read the radius as the diameter of the 10mm ball (10mm) plus half the diameter of the 3mm shaft (1.5mm) and get 23mm internal diameter, ratio of 23:3 or 7.66:1. Just in case this turns out to be a corecktion I've included speling erors to comply with tradishun. -- Postulate a group whose intent is to destroy the United States from within via anarchy and bankruptcy. The actions of the United States Congress are completely consistent with the actions one would predict from such a group.
Reply by Highland Ham July 15, 20072007-07-15
================= Sorry ,but I don't understand the above . If the shaft has a diameter of 3mm and the balls a diameter of 10mm, the inner diameter of the casing should be 10 + 10 + 3 equals 23 mm When the shaft makes 1 revolution the balls will make 3/10 revolution . When the balls make 1 revolution the casing makes 10/23 revolution . Hence when the shaft makes 1 revolution the casing will make 3/10 * 10/23 equals 3/23 equals 0.13 revolution , hence reduction factor is 7.7 Please correct me if I made an error. Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH
"Alan Nishioka" <alan@nishioka.com> wrote in message
> On Jul 13, 7:12 am, msg <msg@_cybertheque.org_> wrote: >> Please view these photos of a three-turn planetary drive >> pot that uses a conventional "stackpot" formfactor >> athttp://www.cybertheque.org/homebrew/rcvr/images/antennas/pot.jpg >> Resistance = 1K > > Interesting. I've never seen a pot like this. > > So the turns ratio is determined by the shaft diameter to ball > diameter ratio? > And the wiper arm is connected to the ball carrier? > So this assumes the metal to metal, shaft to ball won't slip, but the > ball will turn in the carrier, causing the carrier to have 1/3 the > rotation of the shaft? > > Sorry, this doesn't help you at all... > Alan Nishioka
The ratio, is determined by the shaft diameter, to the internal diameter of the casing in which the balls sit. If (for instance), you have a 3mm shaft, and 10mm balls, the casing has to have an internal diameter of 26mm, and the ratio is 26/3 = 8.66:1. The drive can be made remarkably good (the same system is used on some micro focussers for telescopes, which carry significantly more torque than needed for a pot). Units like the 'Williams optics feathertouch focusser', use exactly this drive. Best Wishes
Reply by William E. Sabin July 14, 20072007-07-14
Jackson Brothers http://www.mainlinegroup.co.uk/jacksonbrothers/
Makes some excellent planetary drives. There are dealers in the USA.

Bill W0IYH

"msg" <msg@_cybertheque.org_> wrote in message
> Gary Tait wrote: > >> msg <msg@_cybertheque.org_> wrote in news:139f22h91ghhna7 >> @corp.supernews.com: >> >> >>> I need the form factor for modifications to antenna >>>rotator assemblies >> >> >> Do you mean the rotator or the controller? >> >> For the rotator, you can maybe use a standard pot with gearing. > <snip> > > I had considered gearing but the available space and the > necessary additional fabrication was more involved than > the solution I chose. > > Here are photos of the modified rotor: > > http://www.cybertheque.org/homebrew/rcvr/images/antennas/rotor/ > > This rotor is common to a number of makes and models; the controller > that came with it was for the Cornell-Dubilier AR22R, an interrupter > based spring and escapement controller version. > > The modifications permit continuous rotation and rely on the > controller to manage limits. > > Regards, > > Michael > msg _at_ cybertheque _dot_ org
Reply by msg July 14, 20072007-07-14
msg wrote:

<snip>
> http://www.cybertheque.org/homebrew/rcvr/images/antennas/pot.jpg > Resistance = 1K
<snip>
> Does anyone recognize this pot technology? Any suppliers > nowadays?
Thanks to all for replies so far. Regards, Michael msg _at_ cybertheque _dot_ org
Gary Tait wrote:

> msg <msg@_cybertheque.org_> wrote in news:139f22h91ghhna7 > @corp.supernews.com: > > >> I need the form factor for modifications to antenna >>rotator assemblies > > > Do you mean the rotator or the controller? > > For the rotator, you can maybe use a standard pot with gearing.
<snip> I had considered gearing but the available space and the necessary additional fabrication was more involved than the solution I chose. Here are photos of the modified rotor: http://www.cybertheque.org/homebrew/rcvr/images/antennas/rotor/ This rotor is common to a number of makes and models; the controller that came with it was for the Cornell-Dubilier AR22R, an interrupter based spring and escapement controller version. The modifications permit continuous rotation and rely on the controller to manage limits. Regards, Michael msg _at_ cybertheque _dot_ org
Reply by Alan Nishioka July 14, 20072007-07-14
On Jul 13, 7:12 am, msg <msg@_cybertheque.org_> wrote:
> Please view these photos of a three-turn planetary drive > pot that uses a conventional "stackpot" formfactor athttp://www.cybertheque.org/homebrew/rcvr/images/antennas/pot.jpg > Resistance = 1K
Interesting. I've never seen a pot like this. So the turns ratio is determined by the shaft diameter to ball diameter ratio? And the wiper arm is connected to the ball carrier? So this assumes the metal to metal, shaft to ball won't slip, but the ball will turn in the carrier, causing the carrier to have 1/3 the rotation of the shaft? Sorry, this doesn't help you at all... Alan Nishioka
Reply by Gary Tait July 14, 20072007-07-14
msg <msg@_cybertheque.org_> wrote in news:139f22h91ghhna7
@corp.supernews.com:

> I need the form factor for modifications to antenna > rotator assemblies
Do you mean the rotator or the controller? For the rotator, you can maybe use a standard pot with gearing. I made an old 3 wire rotator a 5 wire with a pot an a 4 to 3 gear. One gear was fixed to the output shaft, the other to the pot, so that one full rotation (360 degrees) of the rotator shaft turned the pot its full path, or therabouts (270 degrees). The controller just had a typical 270 degree pot and a 3/4 scale that rotated N-E-S-W-N.
Reply by HapticZ July 14, 20072007-07-14
http://cgi.ebay.com/CTS-Potentiometers-137-8418-VA45R502A-Ball-Bearing_W0QQi
temZ7595963466QQihZ017QQcategoryZ58164QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

try ebay  search  "ball potentiometer"