Reply by Anton Erasmus September 29, 20042004-09-29
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 23:03:02 +0200, Rene Tschaggelar <none@none.net>
wrote:

>Anton Erasmus wrote: > >> On 27 Sep 2004 09:02:26 -0700, bypassmail@postmaster.co.uk (Pat >> Barlow) wrote: >> >> >>>We are regularly programming an Atmeg128l board with the Atmel JTAGICE >>>+ AVRStudio with no problems, but in production it would be useful to >>>use a MacGraigor Wiggler to program the Atmel, as we already have one >>>in our test/programming jig. >>>MacGraigor don't support the Atmel AVR devices, but I reckon there >>>should be a software solution to this, does anyone know what it might >>>look like? >>>TIA. >>>Pat. >> >> >> Hi, >> >> I have written code that will program JTAG capable AVRs using an >> Altera Byteblaster interface. Changing a few #defines is all that is >> necessary for it too work using the wiggler. If you want the source, I >> can email it to you. > >Anton, >I'd be interested too in some code using the Alter Byteblaster for the AVR. > >Rene
You can download it at http://home.telkomsa.net/antera/javr.zip. Regards Anton Erasmus
Reply by Tsvetan Usunov September 29, 20042004-09-29
> Or try the low cost Chameleon POD from www.amontec.com. > It can clone a large part of the popular dongles in the seconde. > - Olimex AVR JTAG
I really do not believe about this one, this is not JTAG dongle i.e. state machine with some outputs but AVR chip with firmware inside, I doubt you can clone this with these limited macrocells CPLDs you are using in your POD, this make questionable all other claims you make too Cheers Tsvetan --- PCB prototypes for $26 at http://run.to/pcb (http://www.olimex.com/pcb) PCB any volume assembly (http://www.olimex.com/pcb/protoa.html) Development boards for ARM, AVR, PIC, and MSP430 (http://www.olimex.com/dev)
Reply by Rene Tschaggelar September 28, 20042004-09-28
Anton Erasmus wrote:

> On 27 Sep 2004 09:02:26 -0700, bypassmail@postmaster.co.uk (Pat > Barlow) wrote: > > >>We are regularly programming an Atmeg128l board with the Atmel JTAGICE >>+ AVRStudio with no problems, but in production it would be useful to >>use a MacGraigor Wiggler to program the Atmel, as we already have one >>in our test/programming jig. >>MacGraigor don't support the Atmel AVR devices, but I reckon there >>should be a software solution to this, does anyone know what it might >>look like? >>TIA. >>Pat. > > > Hi, > > I have written code that will program JTAG capable AVRs using an > Altera Byteblaster interface. Changing a few #defines is all that is > necessary for it too work using the wiggler. If you want the source, I > can email it to you.
Anton, I'd be interested too in some code using the Alter Byteblaster for the AVR. Rene -- Ing.Buero R.Tschaggelar - http://www.ibrtses.com & commercial newsgroups - http://www.talkto.net
Reply by Anton Erasmus September 28, 20042004-09-28
On 28 Sep 2004 01:05:57 -0700, bypassmail@postmaster.co.uk (Pat
Barlow) wrote:

>Anton Erasmus <nobody@spam.prevent.net> wrote in message news:<1096306439.t5/zXOVSZ8LvBPg/Vxw2mA@teranews>... >> On 27 Sep 2004 09:02:26 -0700, bypassmail@postmaster.co.uk (Pat >> Barlow) wrote: >> >> >We are regularly programming an Atmeg128l board with the Atmel JTAGICE >> >+ AVRStudio with no problems, but in production it would be useful to >> >use a MacGraigor Wiggler to program the Atmel, as we already have one >> >in our test/programming jig. >> >MacGraigor don't support the Atmel AVR devices, but I reckon there >> >should be a software solution to this, does anyone know what it might >> >look like? >> >TIA. >> >Pat. >> >> Hi, >> >> I have written code that will program JTAG capable AVRs using an >> Altera Byteblaster interface. Changing a few #defines is all that is >> necessary for it too work using the wiggler. If you want the source, I >> can email it to you. >> >> Regards >> Anton Erasmus > >Anton - I would certainly appreciate it if you could forward it, the >email above is valid if you send it through to that. >I assume that the byteblaster is a similar type of device (parallel >port -> jtag i/f)? I'm also assuming that the Wiggler is basically >just a buffer/logic level translator and doesn't contain any special >hardware (shift registers etc.), do you know if that is the case? >Any help appreciated,
Yes the Byteblaster is Alteras JTAG dongle which is just a 74HC244 buffer connected to the parallel port. The wiggler is the same just using different bits for different signals. Regards Anton Erasmus
Reply by Laurent Gauch September 28, 20042004-09-28
Pat Barlow wrote:
> We are regularly programming an Atmeg128l board with the Atmel JTAGICE > + AVRStudio with no problems, but in production it would be useful to > use a MacGraigor Wiggler to program the Atmel, as we already have one > in our test/programming jig. > MacGraigor don't support the Atmel AVR devices, but I reckon there > should be a software solution to this, does anyone know what it might > look like? > TIA. > Pat.
Or try the low cost Chameleon POD from www.amontec.com. It can clone a large part of the popular dongles in the seconde. - Wiggler - Raven - Xilinx Parallel Cable III - Olimex AVR JTAG - Altera ByteBlaster - Lattice ISPdownload - Lart dongle - Atmel AVR STKx00 cable - PSD FlashLINK - and much more All the configurations are FREE and are provided by the Chameleon POD programmer freeware! Larry
Reply by Pat Barlow September 28, 20042004-09-28
Anton Erasmus <nobody@spam.prevent.net> wrote in message news:<1096306439.t5/zXOVSZ8LvBPg/Vxw2mA@teranews>...
> On 27 Sep 2004 09:02:26 -0700, bypassmail@postmaster.co.uk (Pat > Barlow) wrote: > > >We are regularly programming an Atmeg128l board with the Atmel JTAGICE > >+ AVRStudio with no problems, but in production it would be useful to > >use a MacGraigor Wiggler to program the Atmel, as we already have one > >in our test/programming jig. > >MacGraigor don't support the Atmel AVR devices, but I reckon there > >should be a software solution to this, does anyone know what it might > >look like? > >TIA. > >Pat. > > Hi, > > I have written code that will program JTAG capable AVRs using an > Altera Byteblaster interface. Changing a few #defines is all that is > necessary for it too work using the wiggler. If you want the source, I > can email it to you. > > Regards > Anton Erasmus
Anton - I would certainly appreciate it if you could forward it, the email above is valid if you send it through to that. I assume that the byteblaster is a similar type of device (parallel port -> jtag i/f)? I'm also assuming that the Wiggler is basically just a buffer/logic level translator and doesn't contain any special hardware (shift registers etc.), do you know if that is the case? Any help appreciated, Yours, Pat.
Reply by Camel September 28, 20042004-09-28
Try the Olimex AVR JTAG: cheap but weak.
If you make attention at the connection sequence (1-attach the jtag 2-power
on ) it is a good alternative to the strong but expensive Atmel Jtagice.

"Pat Barlow" <bypassmail@postmaster.co.uk> ha scritto nel messaggio
> We are regularly programming an Atmeg128l board with the Atmel JTAGICE > + AVRStudio with no problems, but in production it would be useful to > use a MacGraigor Wiggler to program the Atmel, as we already have one > in our test/programming jig. > MacGraigor don't support the Atmel AVR devices, but I reckon there > should be a software solution to this, does anyone know what it might > look like? > TIA. > Pat.
Reply by Anton Erasmus September 27, 20042004-09-27
Barlow) wrote:

>We are regularly programming an Atmeg128l board with the Atmel JTAGICE >+ AVRStudio with no problems, but in production it would be useful to >use a MacGraigor Wiggler to program the Atmel, as we already have one >in our test/programming jig. >MacGraigor don't support the Atmel AVR devices, but I reckon there >should be a software solution to this, does anyone know what it might >look like? >TIA. >Pat.
Hi, I have written code that will program JTAG capable AVRs using an Altera Byteblaster interface. Changing a few #defines is all that is necessary for it too work using the wiggler. If you want the source, I can email it to you. Regards Anton Erasmus
Reply by Pat Barlow September 27, 20042004-09-27