Reply by Rene August 31, 20072007-08-31
"Rene" <invalid@invalid.com> schreef in bericht
news:D6-dnXOuP57TU0zbnZ2dnUVZ8ternZ2d@edutel.nl...

Many thanks for the replies! I am sorry for my late reply.

Yours sincerely,
Rene

Reply by TT_Man August 27, 20072007-08-27
"Rene" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Hello to all of You, > > Being completely new to AVR's and still studying their "anatomy" and > reading about them I have a question that could probably be solved by an > experiment but at this moment a real life experiment like this is beyond > my capabilities and I am a bit nervous to find the answer because it is > important for a plan I have in my head :-). I hope You might be able to > give me the answer. > At the moment I am just making some led's blink and extending the luxury > of the blink program (first step from now: use timer) but later on I want > to make a program that reads the value of an analogue signal and then > (a.o.) "translates" this value into the duty-cycle of the build-in PWM of > the device. For this I would put the ADC into free running mode. In some > tutorial (unfortunately I have no idea where it was) I read that one > should not change the level on an output pin while an AD-conversion is > taking place because it might ruin the outcome of that conversion. In the > datasheet I have not read this but they do describe that the ADC can be > used while everything else in the chip is "silent" to cancel noise from > the measurement. The accuracy is not very important for my plan. But it is > important that the i/o pin is being changed constantly by the PWM-unit, > and the ADC should keep on running. > By now You will have guessed what the question is: Was the information I > read correct or is it just a matter of a slightly decreased accuracy to > have both systems (=ADC and PWM) running simultaneously? > > Thank You very much in advance! > Yours sincerely, > Rene
Just do it.... you may get the odd error in the ADC but it doesn't matter in this application... You could save the ADC values in an 8 byte fifo, average them ( sum and divide by 8) and use that for the pwm. Where it might matter is if you were making a data logger to record accurately the ADC values...
Reply by larwe August 27, 20072007-08-27
On Aug 26, 2:03 pm, Rene <inva...@invalid.com> wrote:

> By now You will have guessed what the question is: Was the information I > read correct or is it just a matter of a slightly decreased accuracy to > have both systems (=ADC and PWM) running simultaneously?
This isn't characterized. What I suggest you do is write some software to capture from the ADC into RAM. Tie the ADC input to a fixed voltage. Run this software once with the PWM operating, and once without. Look at the distribution of the ADC output values, and compare. I have a project that uses ATmega169, which also has the ADC sleep mode. I did some tests with and without sleep mode and observed no statistically significant difference in the noise when using sleep mode vs. leaving the core running full-tilt.
Reply by Rene August 26, 20072007-08-26