Reply by Everett M. Greene September 5, 20072007-09-05
"Ignacio G.T." <igtorque.remove@evomer.yahoo.es> writes:
> I'm Spanish, so I'm losing most of the puns here. But I can't resist > commenting on this: I remember a James Bond's movie, where "Silicon > Valley" ("Valle del silicio") was mistransalted into Spanish to "Valle > de la silicona" ("Silicone Valley"). Imagine lots of artificial boobs > jumping across a valley, and you'll get the picture I got.
Even we English speakers get that one wrong about half the time! Isn't Hollywood in Silicone Valley?
Reply by Ignacio G.T. September 5, 20072007-09-05
Jim Stewart escribi&#4294967295;:
> Paul Carpenter wrote: > >> Very tongue in cheek for humourously challenged. >> >>> Sounds like either english is NOT the writer's original language, >>> of their cubicle is too close to marketing ;) >> >> Probably written by some one with a Media Studies degree. Very UK'ian >> but I am sure you get the drift. > > Anyone watch the Canadian show "How it's Made"? > > Marvelous show that takes you into factories and > shows how things are made. The dialog appears > to have been written in French/Canadian then > translated and narrated word-for-word into English. > All sorts of amusing little usage and technical mis- > translations.
I'm Spanish, so I'm losing most of the puns here. But I can't resist commenting on this: I remember a James Bond's movie, where "Silicon Valley" ("Valle del silicio") was mistransalted into Spanish to "Valle de la silicona" ("Silicone Valley"). Imagine lots of artificial boobs jumping across a valley, and you'll get the picture I got.
Reply by Steve at fivetrees September 2, 20072007-09-02
"Paul Burke" <paul@scazon.com> wrote in message
> FreeRTOS.org wrote: >> >> "than what the 56F8365 has" - why is there a 'what' in that sentence? >> Sounds cockney. > > Phrasing, my boy. It's not the REAL Santa, it's a Subordinate Claus. > > Read it as "needing a little more memory (than what the 56F8365 > has to offer)" - brackets indicating the phrase grouping.
My English teacher would have had kittens at that superfluous "what". It should be "needing a little more memory (than the 56F8365 has to offer)", of course. The additional "what" does indeed sound cockney, or just educationally-challenged. Anyone watch F1 on ITV in the UK? Mark Blundell does this a lot. "Those Ferraris have a bit more grunt than what the McLarens have" etc. Makes me cringe every time ;). Steve http://www.fivetrees.com
Reply by Robert Adsett September 1, 20072007-09-01
In article <13de17n926n6068@corp.supernews.com>, marcus hall says...
> In article <grOdneDd7eA7ckjbnZ2dnUVZ_vyinZ2d@omsoft.com>, > Jim Stewart <jstewart@jkmicro.com> wrote: > >Anyone watch the Canadian show "How it's Made"? > > > >Marvelous show that takes you into factories and > >shows how things are made. The dialog appears > >to have been written in French/Canadian then > >translated and narrated word-for-word into English. > >All sorts of amusing little usage and technical mis- > >translations. > > That was one of my kids' favorite shows a couple of years ago.. They would > even "play 'How It's Made'"...
I've always wondered what age group it was aimed at.
> Anyhow, the original narration did seem to be word-for-word translated > to english, with the units still in metric. It seems that they then added
I didn't get the impression it was badly translated but badly written to begin with.
> subtitles for the US broadcast with the imperial units. Then, later, the > audio was re-dubbed with imperial units, but the video was not changed back, > so they had a rather amusing ".. oven at 600 degrees farenheight" with > some text on the screen "That's 600 F!".. Well, I found that amusing!..
Reply by Jim Stewart August 30, 20072007-08-30
marcus hall wrote:
> In article <grOdneDd7eA7ckjbnZ2dnUVZ_vyinZ2d@omsoft.com>, > Jim Stewart <jstewart@jkmicro.com> wrote: >> Anyone watch the Canadian show "How it's Made"? >> >> Marvelous show that takes you into factories and >> shows how things are made. The dialog appears >> to have been written in French/Canadian then >> translated and narrated word-for-word into English. >> All sorts of amusing little usage and technical mis- >> translations. > > That was one of my kids' favorite shows a couple of years ago.. They would > even "play 'How It's Made'"... > > Anyhow, the original narration did seem to be word-for-word translated > to english, with the units still in metric. It seems that they then added > subtitles for the US broadcast with the imperial units. Then, later, the > audio was re-dubbed with imperial units, but the video was not changed back, > so they had a rather amusing ".. oven at 600 degrees farenheight" with > some text on the screen "That's 600 F!".. Well, I found that amusing!..
I forgot about all the silly units usage. Quoting any small distance measurement in one-hundredths of an inch is particularly annoying.
Reply by marcus hall August 30, 20072007-08-30
In article <grOdneDd7eA7ckjbnZ2dnUVZ_vyinZ2d@omsoft.com>,
Jim Stewart  <jstewart@jkmicro.com> wrote:
>Anyone watch the Canadian show "How it's Made"? > >Marvelous show that takes you into factories and >shows how things are made. The dialog appears >to have been written in French/Canadian then >translated and narrated word-for-word into English. >All sorts of amusing little usage and technical mis- >translations.
That was one of my kids' favorite shows a couple of years ago.. They would even "play 'How It's Made'"... Anyhow, the original narration did seem to be word-for-word translated to english, with the units still in metric. It seems that they then added subtitles for the US broadcast with the imperial units. Then, later, the audio was re-dubbed with imperial units, but the video was not changed back, so they had a rather amusing ".. oven at 600 degrees farenheight" with some text on the screen "That's 600 F!".. Well, I found that amusing!.. marcus hall
Reply by Jim Stewart August 29, 20072007-08-29
Paul Carpenter wrote:

> Very tongue in cheek for humourously challenged. > >> Sounds like either english is NOT the writer's original language, >> of their cubicle is too close to marketing ;) > > Probably written by some one with a Media Studies degree. Very UK'ian > but I am sure you get the drift.
Anyone watch the Canadian show "How it's Made"? Marvelous show that takes you into factories and shows how things are made. The dialog appears to have been written in French/Canadian then translated and narrated word-for-word into English. All sorts of amusing little usage and technical mis- translations.
Reply by Coos Haak August 29, 20072007-08-29
Op Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:26:46 GMT schreef FreeRTOS.org:

> "Paul Burke" <paul@scazon.com> wrote in message > news:5jl2vgF3vktU1@mid.individual.net...
<snip>
> "than what the 56F8365 has" - why is there a 'what' in that sentence? > Sounds cockney.
Sounds Dutch ;-) -- Coos
Reply by August 29, 20072007-08-29
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:09:50 +1200, in article
     <46d5d1f7$1@clear.net.nz> no.spam@designtools.maps.co.nz
     "Jim Granville" wrote:

>> "in your system a parallel fashion" - seems to be a word missing there. > >Interesting. My Radar did react to this (when prompted), but I triggerd >more on >"a parallel fashion", "is the device for you", " for these additional >tasks", "You will still enjoy" [shudder..]
But everything involving any form of electronics/computing has to have some form of 'experience', so obviously they are only worthwhile if you can also 'enjoy' the 'experience'. :-^ :-^ Very tongue in cheek for humourously challenged.
>Sounds like either english is NOT the writer's original language, >of their cubicle is too close to marketing ;)
Probably written by some one with a Media Studies degree. Very UK'ian but I am sure you get the drift. -- Paul Carpenter | paul@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk <http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/> PC Services <http://www.gnuh8.org.uk/> GNU H8 & mailing list info <http://www.badweb.org.uk/> For those web sites you hate
Reply by Jim Granville August 29, 20072007-08-29
FreeRTOS.org wrote:
> "Paul Burke" <paul@scazon.com> wrote in message > news:5jl2vgF3vktU1@mid.individual.net... > >>FreeRTOS.org wrote: >> >>>From the Freescale WEB documentation: >>> >>>"If you find yourself needing a little more memory than what the 56F8365 >>>has to offer, or simply need to interface to other devices in your system >>>a parallel fashion, then the 56F8366 is the device for you. Moving to >>>this 144-pin LQFP package allows you to take advantage of its included >>>external memory interface for these additional tasks. You will still >>>enjoy 576 KB of on-chip Flash memory, pulse-width modulation (PWM) >>>outputs, analog-to-digital converter (ADC) inputs and time channels, >>>along with the capability of interfacing with other devices in your >>>system." >>> >>>What is right with this? I hope their silicon designs receive more >>>scrutiny than their WEB site. >> >> >>I don't see your problem. > > > "than what the 56F8365 has" - why is there a 'what' in that sentence? > Sounds cockney. > > "in your system a parallel fashion" - seems to be a word missing there.
Interesting. My Radar did react to this (when prompted), but I triggerd more on "a parallel fashion", "is the device for you", " for these additional tasks", "You will still enjoy" [shudder..] Sounds like either english is NOT the writer's original language, of their cubicle is too close to marketing ;) -jg