Reply by Uwe Bonnes September 25, 20042004-09-25
jan Axelson <jan@lvr.com> wrote:

: In theory, a high-speed bulk endpoint can transfer 53,248 kbytes/sec.
: The transfer type, host driver, the device's ability to keep up, and
: how busy the bus is are some things that can affect the transfer rate.

ssrp (http://oscar.dcarr.org/ssrp/index.php) reports achieving 30 MB/s Read
speed.

Bye
--

Reply by jan Axelson September 24, 20042004-09-24
I have links to USB chips here:

http://www.lvr.com/usbchips.htm

Cypress provides a general-purpose driver for the EZ-USBs. This
replaces their previous driver:

CY4604 - USB Developer's uStudio

http://www.cypress.com/support/reference_designs.cfm?objectID=059DD019-11E8-405D-844010255E17671C&tid=54A040FA-2262-424A-B14741267CBD1308

In theory, a high-speed bulk endpoint can transfer 53,248 kbytes/sec.
The transfer type, host driver, the device's ability to keep up, and
how busy the bus is are some things that can affect the transfer rate.

Jan Axelson
www.Lvr.com
Reply by Linnix September 24, 20042004-09-24
"David Brown" <david@no.westcontrol.spam.com> wrote in message news:<ciujf5$2u1$1@news.netpower.no>...
> I'm working on a board that will need to be able to send a lot of data to a > PC. I've already got a 100 MBit ethernet controller, but we are also > looking at high speed (480 MBits) USB and Firewire as options. There is an > fpga on the board, so I'm quite flexible about connections. Does anyone > have any ideas as to what sort of controllers are readily available? Also, > I'd be very interested about rough ideas about how complex the software side > might be, both in terms of the device side on the card, and the PC side.
I would advice against using USB for data transfer. USB overhead is much higher than ethernet. Considering that a USB NIC (12 Mb/s) is several orders of magnitude slower that a 10T (10 Mb/s) ethernet. The 480 Mb/s is probably misleading, but I have not worked with such devices. If you peak out at 100T, go to 1000T or ATM.
Reply by David Brown September 24, 20042004-09-24
"Sylvain Munaut" <tnt_at_246tNt_dot_com@reducespam.com> wrote in message
> David Brown wrote: > > I'm working on a board that will need to be able to send a lot of data
to a
> > PC. I've already got a 100 MBit ethernet controller, but we are also > > looking at high speed (480 MBits) USB and Firewire as options. There is
an
> > fpga on the board, so I'm quite flexible about connections. Does anyone > > have any ideas as to what sort of controllers are readily available?
Also,
> > I'd be very interested about rough ideas about how complex the software
side
> > might be, both in terms of the device side on the card, and the PC side. > > Last time I checked, FireWire and High Speed USB were only available with
PCI
> interface. > > For firewire, Texas Instrument has the tsb43ab22a > For USB2.0 HiSpeed, Philips has the isp1561 > > On the board, do you have a microcontroller with PCI ? >
No, I've got an FPGA with a soft cpu. Theoretically, I could implement a PCI bus, but I'd rather not - it would take too many pins, and involve too much extra work. The USB 2 and Firewire are not essential to the card, but are in the "nice to have if they are not too expensive" category. I think Firewire would definitely be too expensive (especially in terms of developer time), while USB 2 may or may not be feasible.
> Sylvain
Reply by Sylvain Munaut September 24, 20042004-09-24
David Brown wrote:
> I'm working on a board that will need to be able to send a lot of data to a > PC. I've already got a 100 MBit ethernet controller, but we are also > looking at high speed (480 MBits) USB and Firewire as options. There is an > fpga on the board, so I'm quite flexible about connections. Does anyone > have any ideas as to what sort of controllers are readily available? Also, > I'd be very interested about rough ideas about how complex the software side > might be, both in terms of the device side on the card, and the PC side.
Last time I checked, FireWire and High Speed USB were only available with PCI interface. For firewire, Texas Instrument has the tsb43ab22a For USB2.0 HiSpeed, Philips has the isp1561 On the board, do you have a microcontroller with PCI ? Sylvain
"Jamie Lin" <jamie@tildefoo.com> wrote in message
> Cypress Ez-usb series provide good options. It has a built-in 8051 > microcontroller. They make it really easy to program USB on the > software side. http://www.cypress.com >
Do you know what sort of tools I'd need for working with the built-in 8051 on these devices, and if there is ready-made software for them? I would also need something on the PC side. The QuickUSB cards mentioned by another poster look like they fit that bill, but the price is way out of our budget range (although they might be very interesting for prototyping and evaluation). David
> -Jamie > > > "David Brown" <david@no.westcontrol.spam.com> wrote in message
> > I'm working on a board that will need to be able to send a lot of data
to a
> > PC. I've already got a 100 MBit ethernet controller, but we are also > > looking at high speed (480 MBits) USB and Firewire as options. There is
an
> > fpga on the board, so I'm quite flexible about connections. Does anyone > > have any ideas as to what sort of controllers are readily available?
Also,
> > I'd be very interested about rough ideas about how complex the software
side
> > might be, both in terms of the device side on the card, and the PC side.
Reply by Jamie Lin September 24, 20042004-09-24
Cypress Ez-usb series provide good options. It has a built-in 8051
microcontroller. They make it really easy to program USB on the
software side. http://www.cypress.com

-Jamie

"David Brown" <david@no.westcontrol.spam.com> wrote in message news:<ciujf5$2u1$1@news.netpower.no>...
> I'm working on a board that will need to be able to send a lot of data to a > PC. I've already got a 100 MBit ethernet controller, but we are also > looking at high speed (480 MBits) USB and Firewire as options. There is an > fpga on the board, so I'm quite flexible about connections. Does anyone > have any ideas as to what sort of controllers are readily available? Also, > I'd be very interested about rough ideas about how complex the software side > might be, both in terms of the device side on the card, and the PC side.
Reply by Tom Woodrow September 23, 20042004-09-23
Have a look at:

http://www.quickusb.com/index.htm?target=dept_13.html

Good Luck
Tom Woodrow

David Brown wrote:
> I'm working on a board that will need to be able to send a lot of data to a > PC. I've already got a 100 MBit ethernet controller, but we are also > looking at high speed (480 MBits) USB and Firewire as options. There is an > fpga on the board, so I'm quite flexible about connections. Does anyone > have any ideas as to what sort of controllers are readily available? Also, > I'd be very interested about rough ideas about how complex the software side > might be, both in terms of the device side on the card, and the PC side. > > -- > David > > "I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go past." > Douglas Adams > >
Reply by Uwe Bonnes September 23, 20042004-09-23
David Brown <david@no.westcontrol.spam.com> wrote:
: I'm working on a board that will need to be able to send a lot of data to a
: PC.  I've already got a 100 MBit ethernet controller, but we are also
: looking at high speed (480 MBits) USB and Firewire as options.  There is an
: fpga on the board, so I'm quite flexible about connections.  Does anyone
: have any ideas as to what sort of controllers are readily available?  Also,
: I'd be very interested about rough ideas about how complex the software side
: might be, both in terms of the device side on the card, and the PC side.

Look at http://www.comsec.com/wiki?UniversalSoftwareRadioPeripheral for an
example .

--

Reply by David Brown September 23, 20042004-09-23