Reply by krw September 21, 20072007-09-21
In article <3u86f39k9chdcb3ud4ubtil80rq9c1ge0f@4ax.com>,
SpuriousResponse@cleansignal.org says...
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 18:12:55 -0400, krw <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote: > > >In article <f6r0f3pfkqvo6kf0c72o1u6pl7m1f2n360@4ax.com>, > >SpuriousResponse@cleansignal.org says... > > > >> EVERY app has "cracked versions" available, and geographic location has > >> nothing to do with it. > > > >Who wudda figured Dimbulb to be a thief, as well as an all-around > >idiot. > > > >> alt.binaries.cd.image > >> > > > What is easy to figure is that you would be such a presumptuous > bastard.
Dimbulb, it's not a presumption to note an admission, particularly so thinly veiled. -- Keith
Reply by Spurious Response September 20, 20072007-09-20
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 18:12:55 -0400, krw <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

>In article <f6r0f3pfkqvo6kf0c72o1u6pl7m1f2n360@4ax.com>, >SpuriousResponse@cleansignal.org says... > >> EVERY app has "cracked versions" available, and geographic location has >> nothing to do with it. > >Who wudda figured Dimbulb to be a thief, as well as an all-around >idiot. > >> alt.binaries.cd.image >>
What is easy to figure is that you would be such a presumptuous bastard.
Reply by krw September 19, 20072007-09-19
In article <f6r0f3pfkqvo6kf0c72o1u6pl7m1f2n360@4ax.com>,
SpuriousResponse@cleansignal.org says...

> EVERY app has "cracked versions" available, and geographic location has > nothing to do with it.
Who wudda figured Dimbulb to be a thief, as well as an all-around idiot.
> alt.binaries.cd.image >
-- Keith
Reply by krw September 19, 20072007-09-19
In article <46ef6387$0$26372$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, xxx@yyy
says...
> Howdy Y'all : > > Been using MGC (originally Innoveda) PCB tools for a few years - like 'em > Came to renew our (expensive but good) maintenance contract a few weeks ago > We had some internal re-organization so our PO had a different name at the > top > MGC queried this, I sent them the standard blurb on the name change > Got a reply : "our legal people say you are a new entity, so it's $3+K to > 'transfer ownership'" > > What the f**k ? > > Anybody got any comments on : > > 1 - Is it legal under US anti-trust laws to put such constraints on > ownership ? (Yes I know the EULA said MGC owns my first born child.....)
Nothing to do with anti-trust. No monopoly power here.
> 2 - We were, are, and always have been a wholly owned subsidiary of COMPANY > A, so how does an internal re-organization constitute a change of ownership > ?
Perhaps they hired ASCAP's or BMI's lawyers?
> 3 - Has anybody else had a similar experience with MGC ? How did it get > resolved ?
Pay the money.
> There, now I've vented a bit. In 48 hours I've gone from a 100% positive > experience of MGC (2am responses to service requests, requested features > added to the next release etc) to feeling like I'm being robbed at > knifepoint.
Yep! ModelSim (Mentor bought MTI some time back) only licenses their software for employees and on-site contractors. ...like I'm going to buy a license ($5K a year, last I checked) for off-site use. Others can't even access their help resources.
> Well, since I've got a dozen boards at several revisions and my entire > component database embedded in these tools, and it's only $3K.....pass the > vaseline.
Seems like it, but thanks for the head's up (PNI). -- Keith
Reply by YD September 19, 20072007-09-19
Late at night, by candle light, Spurious Response
<SpuriousResponse@cleansignal.org> penned this immortal opus:

>On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 13:56:00 -0400, "Paul E. Schoen" <pstech@smart.net> >wrote: > >> >>"FreeRTOS.org" <noemail@address.com> wrote in message >>news:%2MHi.16297$c_1.12990@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk... >>> "Gary Pace" <xxx@yyy> wrote in message >>> news:46ef6387$0$26372$4c368faf@roadrunner.com... >>>> Howdy Y'all : >>>> >>>> Been using MGC (originally Innoveda) PCB tools for a few years - like >>>> 'em >>>> Came to renew our (expensive but good) maintenance contract a few weeks >>>> ago >>>> We had some internal re-organization so our PO had a different name at >>>> the top >>>> MGC queried this, I sent them the standard blurb on the name change >>>> Got a reply : "our legal people say you are a new entity, so it's $3+K >>>> to 'transfer ownership'" >>>> >>>> What the f**k ? >>>> >>>> Anybody got any comments on : >>> >>> >>> I had a similar experience once with a different supplier. When we were >>> setting up a new company we used a team of off site contractors to get >>> the software off the ground quickly. We purchased three seats of a >>> software package in *our* new company name for their use (some &#4294967295;30K worth >>> I think). When it came time to move from the contractor pool to our own >>> in-house (newly recruited) team, we found that the software supplier >>> would not permit us to move the floating licenses from one server to >>> another. It was apparently a 'site license', and we wanted to move the >>> site. They wanted the full price whack again! >>> >>> Lesson learned. We don't use that companies software any more. >>> >> >>The Mentor EULA even requires a formal site change if you move the site >>more than 1/2 mile from the original installation. So anyone who uses it on >>a notebook computer while traveling, or moves the dongle from work to home, >>is in violation. I don't know if they've ever enforced this requirement, >>but it seems way too restrictive. In the good old days of PADS, the >>corporate people were very nice, and they would allow transfer of license >>at no charge. And they gave me the opportunity to upgrade from my old MSDOS >>version that I got from a company I had worked for, to the latest version >>at that time, for only the maintenance charge of $500 for one year. >> >>The EULA basically says that Mentor still owns the software you have >>purchased, and you are granted a license to use it for some period of time. >>If you buy the software, it is understood that they will grant a 5 year >>license if you are not on maintenance, or a 15 month license if you have >>purchased support. This was to remind you to renew the maintenance before >>it expired. This sounds like a renewable lease, rather than a purchase, and >>I think someone successfully sued Mentor for misrepresentation of the terms >>of purchase. They do also sometimes lease the software, and for that the >>expiring license is reasonable. >> >>I think the 5.x version of software has a non-expiring license. So far I >>have been able to get a 5 year license for my software, but there is still >>some concern that they might change their policy, or even go out of >>business, and then you would be stuck with unusable expired software. I'm >>also concerned that my next computer may not have a parallel port for the >>dongle, and I would have to swap it for a USB dongle. And apparently their >>software does not run under Vista, and they are only planning to support >>that OS with their latest version of software. >> >>Soon it will cost me as much to reinstate maintenance (which includes all >>back maintenance as well as a 40% penalty), as it would for a complete new >>seat. I think the break-even point is about three years. >> >>There's also a cracked copy of 5.x available from Eastern Europe, and there >>will probably be a new cracked copy of the newer software when and if it >>becomes stable enough to use. At least with my PADS2004sp2 I can still >>revert files back to 5.x if I need to. The newer version does not allow >>that, at least for the schematic package PADS-Logic. And in PADS2005 they >>introduced TrueType fonts, and they changed the format for their library >>files, but they did NOT change the file extension or even the version >>number in the header, although the two are not compatible. >> > > EVERY app has "cracked versions" available, and geographic location has >nothing to do with it. > > alt.binaries.cd.image
http://www.binsearch.info/groups.php http://www.binsearch.info/browse.php?bg=alt.binaries.cd.image Works fine with Grab-it usenet downloader or just e-mule it. - YD. -- Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply by TheKraken September 19, 20072007-09-19
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:16:28 -0400, PeteS <axkz70@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

  FIX YOUR GODDAMNED PC CLOCK, YOU FUCKING RETARD!
Reply by Spurious Response September 18, 20072007-09-18
wrote:

> [...]
EVERY app has "cracked versions" available, and geographic location has nothing to do with it. alt.binaries.cd.image
Reply by Joel Kolstad September 18, 20072007-09-18
"Simon S Aysdie" <gwhite@ti.com> wrote in message
> Cadence ruined OrCAD?
Yes they did.
> It was okay, simple to use, and cheap.
It's still (mostly) okay, I suppose, and simple to use... just no longer cheap. Not by a long shot. I guess that's what really galls me... I don't mind paying large amounts of money for high-end software that works well, but ORCAD is only just a bit more sophisticated than the hobbiest class of schematic capture software, and yet they charge "enterprise" level prices for it. Incredible. I like your definition of "enterprise software," BTW. ---Joel
Reply by Simon S Aysdie September 18, 20072007-09-18
On Sep 18, 3:06 pm, "Joel Kolstad" <JKolstad71HatesS...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> "PeteS" <axk...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message > > news:Kv-dnUakDt6qr23bnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@pipex.net... > > > Note that I do not work for Cadence (and they have their own customer > > problems), but at least their tools are reasonably up to date. > > I sincerely hope you don't include ORCAD in that statement!
Cadence ruined OrCAD? It was okay, simple to use, and cheap. Try using torMentor (Veribest) Design Capture if you want a crap schematic editor. You'll be happy with OrCAD then, even up to v9.
On Sep 18, 6:12 pm, PeteS <axk...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> Gary Pace wrote:
> > Well, since I've got a dozen boards at several revisions and my entire > > component database embedded in these tools, and it's only $3K.....pass the > > vaseline.
> Tell em to F* Off and that you will use Cadence tools. > > Mentor Graphics tools are 15 years behind anyway.
Or just tell them fuck off and go to anyone who is nice and charges a low price. There are a lot of schematic and PCB packages out there. I have to use the torMentor (Veribest) crap at my current job. It is garbage. torMentor will send someone out to take notes, and then no action. That is all they have done for the last 20 years. torMentor is terrible, and someone has to pay me to use that Veribest junk. If I was choosing, torMentor would not be on the list of possibilities. They sell companies on their "enterprise solution." In english, that means once they get into your company, they are like a virus that you can't get rid of due to switching costs. Gary is lucky it is only Innoveda/PADS, since that is not their "enterprise" software.