Reply by Mark Borgerson November 17, 20072007-11-17
In article <do6dnR8ku-e_faDanZ2dnUVZ_jydnZ2d@giganews.com>,
akagan@emphatec.com says...
In one case where I wanted to disconnect and power down a component, I simply interposed tristate buffers between the device and the MPU bus. You have to do this on both the inputs and outputs of the device. There are also bidirectional bus switch packages that might be easier to implement. Mark Borgerson
Reply by antedeluvian51 November 16, 20072007-11-16
>> What is a good way to control the power to a memory module. One of >> the memory modules (4MB FIFO) that I intend to use consumes 14mA in >> standby mode, which is one order of magnitude of what I want. Is >> there a way to turn off power to components and use something in the >> order of uA instead of mA when not in use?

It is possible to control by using a transistor in the ground line or in the supply line. But there are more considerations. What you have to be careful of is what the other inputs to the memory are doing. I know from experience (many years ago, so technology may have changed a bit) that if you switch the supply side, each input acts as if it is shorted to the ground pin (or are connected via an internal diode), so it will load every signal that is on the device. You need to be able to set these signals to a logic low (in this case, perhaps a logic high if you are switching the ground) and keep them there while the memory is powered down. If you need the control signals for other devices while the memory is powered down, you will need a way to separate the control signal. 30 years ago, I used the CMOS CD4050, powered from the same supply as the memory. Its inputs are floating gates and will tolerate signals beyond the supply rails. Today I suppose you could use a voltage level translator. Actually continuing with the idea, you also need to investigate what the outputs of the memory are going to do in power down- they could also end up loading any signal they are connected to. If memory serves i was using an open collector data bus on the memory. -Aubrey
Reply by karthikbalaguru November 16, 20072007-11-16
On Sep 19, 9:08 pm, amerdsp <amer...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings, > What is a good way to control the power to a memory module. One of > the memory modules (4MB FIFO) that I intend to use consumes 14mA in > standby mode, which is one order of magnitude of what I want. Is > there a way to turn off power to components and use something in the > order of uA instead of mA when not in use? >
Were you able to do that ? Can you tell me the method / link for this ? Karthik Balaguru
Reply by TT_Man September 19, 20072007-09-19
"amerdsp" <amerdsp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Greetings, > What is a good way to control the power to a memory module. One of > the memory modules (4MB FIFO) that I intend to use consumes 14mA in > standby mode, which is one order of magnitude of what I want. Is > there a way to turn off power to components and use something in the > order of uA instead of mA when not in use? > > Thanks, > > A >
If there is no STBY pin ( I assume there isn't) a mosfet in the ground line will do it....
Reply by amerdsp September 19, 20072007-09-19